The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Dyslexia is definitely a real condition, but a lot of people do try it on. I mean if you looked at my old school it was like a gathering ground for dyslexics. A lot of people did pretend to have it just to pass off the fact they were totally ****ing lazy and stupid.

"No, that isn't dyslexia. That's spending lessons drinking White Ace cider around the back of the school when you should have been studying!"
Reply 201
I have both dyslexia and dyscalculia and yet still managed and A* and B on my GCSE respectively and now training to be a secondary school teacher.

It doesnt mean we're stupid. Nor does it mean we're incapable. It just means that we learn things in a slightly different way to other people.

When a person with dyslexia reads, its not that they dont know how to read, its more that they cant actually see the words properly. Often the words move around, the lines can sway up and down, for me, the words will flash, making it difficult to focus properly and get the letters in the correct order. This is why coloured paper or overlays is often used, it can help prevent that flashing effect. Others will experience things like the letters swapping over with each other, this of course will affect their spelling.

Dyscalculia is another whole bucket of fish. I can't count backwards in my head, I have always struggled with timelines. I often struggle to see patterns. No matter how hard I study, I cannot seem to make this work. However, I have sat down and learnt all the step by step processes. I can do maths, give me a piece of paper and I can tell you the answer to a question. In my head though? The numbers get jumbled up as in my head, a number has no value. If you were to speal out a series of numbers to me and ask me to put them in ascending order without writing them down, I couldn't do it. An 8 is equal to a 4. Its difficult to explain to someone who doesn't have it themselves. Its the same with clocks, show me a clock face and I can easily tell you what the time was an hour and 20 mins ago, in my head that clock gets all jumbled up and the numbers don't appear in the correct order. This is nothing to do with 'lack of learning' or 'lack of teaching', I have tried, believe me I have tried, there is nothing more embarrassing than being unable to join in a new years countdown because I can't seem to get those numbers in order, I can count up but not down. I can add, but not take away, I can multiply, but not divide. It has caused many tears and frustration over the years. I regularly get dates and times mixed up, this has caused me to become quite obsessive over my calendar and filofax. I dont ever use my bank card because I struggle to keep track of numbers, I can only deal in cash.

But again, it doesnt make me incapable. I simply had to spend more time than me peers learning Maths GCSE, I went to extra maths lessons every lunchtime and after school every other day, plus every school holiday for 3 years. I got full marks on my coursework, I did well at the calculator test, I got a low D on my non-calc and yet still came out with a B and that was because I had learned the processes. I just couldn't do it in my head. The B to me, was an A* to someone else. I worked harder than anyone else in my year group and so to this day, that B is the greatest achievement in my life, alongside passing my numeracy professional skills test first time.

Dyslexia/Dyscalculia are real things. To be properly diagnosed, you sit a psych exam, this exam drains you completely and I remember during mine I just sat there and cried in front of the bloke because I felt so useless and angry at myself for not being able to answer what I recognised as a simple question and that was when I was 17, it still stands as one of the most exhausting tests I've ever done because they are designed to really test your limits. A lot of people are self diagnosed or diagnosed by a parent or teacher without any real backing.

What you're mixing up is that often people see it as an excuse. It's not an excuse, it's a reason to work harder.

There is a difference in those who need extra help in lessons and who are slower at learning, to those who need a question asked in a different way in order to help them to understand.
Reply 202
In some sense I agree. Why not say "This child finds it hard to read and write." Calling it dyslexia does nothing to help the situation. It makes it sound like some kind of disease they caught.

We can be certain though that everybody is born with a slightly different brain and that some brain configurations will be less suited to learning to read and write than others.

Labels don't help, just recognising that we're all different. :smile:
Reply 203
Apparently I have got dyscalculia, reeeeally bad when cutting fuse lengths and trying to calculate ignition to explosion times :colondollar:

To be honest It's not something I even considered until I was told :s-smilie: I was always useless at maths, got a U in my mocks then scraped a C in my actual GCSE's many moons ago. The only pain is telling my left from right, can make things like jiu jitsu and driving (not at the same time lol) difficult, the amount of times the sat nav has said turn right and I've whacked on my left indicator or even looked to the left for the turning and been like WTF?

I think these conditions are real, but they are over simplified through lack of understanding and in dyscalculia's case a lack of a solid testing method.
That's OK, it doesn't believe in you either.
Reply 205
Original post by Jizzle88
I have dyslexia and dyscalculia, I with no GCSE's or A levels, and got into university through self-guided study.

I recently received 85% on my first essay, which was the highest out of 450 students.

I am not 'below average intelligence' and I totally refute the statement that dyslexia is an excuse to 'cover up' weak intellect.

Somewhat ironically, I think that dyslexia is actually a benefit to those who can can harness the neurological differences. We think in big idea's and networks, not linearly. We can see connections, mechanisms and trends where others do not. We are creative, independent and original thinkers.

Of course there are alot of stupid people, but dyslexia doesn't equate to stupidity, whilst the school system (not so much the university system) is designed for non dyslexics and non dyscalculics there will be a trend of us being seen as someway inferior intellectually.

Ultimately, if I was given a choice, I would remain dyslexic.

Your experience sounds like mine. As an assessed dyslexic with a 2:1 now working as a software developer. I like to think the dyslexia assists me in understanding of abstract concepts and visualisation of the processes involved in programming, unfortunately I'm not aware of any evidence of this :wink:

Don't get me wrong there's been major disadvantages: difficulties with reading and writing put me behind during school, but I don't think Dyslexia is solely bad.

As to the op why do you believe it doesn't exist ? How well informed is your opinion ? Have you read up on the debate ? Or have you fostered this belief to indulge your ego ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Not sure if anyone here has ever been tested for dyslexia, but they do measure intelligence quotient along with reading/writing skills.

It's when these don't match up that someone is 'diagnosed' as dyslexic.

There has been significant research into this area, by very intelligent researchers - I think it's arrogant to assume their findings incorrect.
Original post by BethCarey
Not sure if anyone here has ever been tested for dyslexia, but they do measure intelligence quotient along with reading/writing skills.

It's when these don't match up that someone is 'diagnosed' as dyslexic.

There has been significant research into this area, by very intelligent researchers - I think it's arrogant to assume their findings incorrect.

Thread is almost 3 years old
Original post by cherryred90s
Thread is almost 3 years old

Yeah, I know. :biggrin::wink: Dyslexics are usually late... Another characteristic!
I have dyslexia myself and I hate it when people say that Dyslexia isnt a real condition. Dyslexic people find it hard to organise things , spell , they get distracted easily , lack confendence , have a low self esteem and have bad short term memory and much more .. the point is that dyslexic Dosent just affect writting and reading that's what it mainly affects but there is other things as well . The thing is that unless you have dyslexia you don't really understand it . Some dyslexics see there words moving across there page how can that be caused by bad teaching . Dyslexia dose not affect your intelligence. I'm And to prove it's a real condition is that it can be passed on by your .
parents
I can tell you very much that it's real.
Dyslexia is something you are born with and during your life does not go away. If someone was born deaf then they are able to recieve support to cater for their needs so if a person was born with dyslexia then they also should recieve support that is relivant to them. It doenst just include reading and righting its other things that affect our lives, telling the time, knosing left from right such as when your driving ut can have as much of an affect on people in life as being deaf can but it just affects people in different eays.
I think you should all get tour facts right before saying all it means is that tour cant read and write as that is just a small part of it
[QUOTE="Dez;46095930"]I think you've rather missed the point entirely here. Yes, dyslexia means difficulty learning to read or write. A lot of people have this issue and it is nothing to do with teaching - the same teacher will generally teach 30 pupils, so why should only one or two of them have trouble? The point of identifying dyslexia is so that pupils who have
Original post by ohhello92x
This has got to be the most stupidest post going!
Just because someone is dyslexic, doesn't mean their stupid! It doesn't necessary affect their IQ!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your right , I’m dyslexic and I’m in top sets for maths and science but bottom set for English
Original post by Elisha.l
Your right , I’m dyslexic and I’m in top sets for maths and science but bottom set for English

That's good :smile:
Dislexia doesn't just afect reeding and writing it affects speaking and and nubers but i changes the way u thing compared to someone else who doesn't have the disability r nonverbal reasoning is normally higher as we look at the

Latest

Trending

Trending