The Student Room Group

Dropping Out

First post as I literally don't know anyone I can get people's unbiased opinion on my issue.

I started uni 3 years ago so I'm in my final year and basically I've had enough. A lot of **** has come my way in the past few months with myself and family making uni not even a priority anymore. Apart from that I just genuinely do not enjoy it at all anymore but have a 10,000 word dissertation to write, 4 new modules to start plus a meeting for plagiarism on Monday meaning the 4 may soon rise to 5 modules or I may just get kicked out.

I wanted to quit last year but didn't have the balls and now I'm ready to quit. Many people I know who I've spoken to have said that just because its a few more months until it's over I should just stick it out but my ideology is that I HATE it so why should I? I know how close I am to finishing but I don't think I have it in me to write a dissertation in 2 months (which may be my fault for leaving so late but I have been messed around a lot by my tutor). So in summary, am I stupid for wanting to drop out when I'm so close to finishing? I don't enjoy the course anymore and haven't for ages and definitely do not want a career out of it so is happiness the number one thing here or?

Someone help :frown:
I dont think anyone really enjoyed life at high school but everyone sticks to it because at the end its for something good and what are you going to do in the months when you could have been at Uni..?
Reply 2
Well to be fair you have to stay at school by law so that's more because you don't have a choice. Whereas with uni, you have chosen to go and I'd be working full time. I wouldn't just be dropping out to do nothing.
Original post by suzybear
Well to be fair you have to stay at school by law so that's more because you don't have a choice. Whereas with uni, you have chosen to go and I'd be working full time. I wouldn't just be dropping out to do nothing.

I guess the question here is would you rather spend the next few months unhappy and uncomfortable or the next 15-30 years paying back a debt for something you never received? Obviously you're the only person who can answer that. Personally I would stick it out, but I'm not in your shoes.
Really and truly it is beneficial to stay and complete the third year if it's only a few months. It will look better on the CV and people will question your commitment if they se on your CV that you dropped out.
You still have to pay for the last 2 years and most likely the third year now it's Jan. If you're okay with that and still want to drop out then so be it.

I stopped during my second year and now I'm taking a break and working towards being a train driver. I had no friends at the time, my course seemed like a waste of time and I wasn't enjoying it life.
I don't regret it, I'm enjoying it more now, Uni wasn't that great an experience.
(edited 10 years ago)
you should have bailed earlier if you've always hated it this much suzybear! ;( ;( ;(

finish it though, it's only half a year... i could fart 6 months.
Reply 6
you might be facing rough seas but you should stick it out.you owe it to yourself and your family.just think how proud your parents would be if you finished
It's one semester - only really three months if you don't count Easter. Stick it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I am in a very similar position. I dropped out halfway through my third year of a masters course and can honestly say that it was the best decision! I hated the course from the start but just never had the balls to do anything about it but over these past few months I just started to ask myself why I was making myself so miserable. My situation differs slightly from a financial aspect as I am Scottish and so fees are taken care of. However, it was not a decision I made lightly and I have put plans in place for my future. I currently have a part time job and am able to pick up some extra shifts. I've also sorted out a summer job as a lifeguard at a summer camp in the states and have reapplied for a different course entirely next year. In my honest opinion, as long as you're not going to just bum about your house and be bitter about it, then it can be the best decision for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending