Do graduates "deserve" jobs?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by infairverona
Must ask - have you even gone to uni?

I am at there myself.
Reply 21
Original post by Cynical Laughter
Its an infuriating point of view, to be completely honest. A university degree does not 'entitle' people to anything, it simply makes them educated to a certain standard above and beyond the levels offered in schools and colleges.

I agree. It makes one more employable I agree, but "entitled"? no.
Original post by r_u_jelly
Yes

And the reason for that is?
Reply 23
For being a graduate? No they don't 'deserve' a job

But for putting hard work into finding work experience, internships, improving their CV, showing mobility then they may be considered as more 'deserved' '

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by the mezzil
I am at there myself.

Which one and which subject, if I may ask?
Reply 25
Which one and which subject, if I may ask?

History, University of Manchester.
Reply 26
I don't think I deserve a job when I graduate, but I expect to get one easily.
My plan for the next few years has changed slightly over the last week or two, so I'm unlikely to be looking at "graduate" jobs anyway, more likely is that I will take an office-based or sales type job for 3/4 years, then do an LLM, and then look fo "graduate" jobs. I'll still apply for a few grad schemes that I'm interested in, but if I don't get them straight after my LLB it's not the end of the world. I'm much more focussed now on getting even more work experience than I already have before taking the next stage in my education and then really trying to start my climb up the career ladder.

I think a lot of people think they deserve a certain type of job, and to be able to just sit and wait for that one to arrive, but most don't necessarily think they deserve to walk straight into a job. I also think students who've been almost brainwashed into thinking their degree in (insert "rubbish" degree title here) is going to make them really employable deserve better than they will probably get, but only because they've been, IMO, deliberately misled, and not because they actually have the skills or ability for anything better.
Original post by the mezzil
History, University of Manchester.

Explains a lot. My friend does History and he has 6 hours of uni a week. If you did a tougher course you wouldn't see it as 'a few essays and a dissertation'.

I don't think grads are entitled to a job just from having gone to uni, but I do think it's reasonable to expect a decent job if you have gone to a good uni, got a 2.1, have some work experience and extracurriculars. People leaving with just a degree in an irrelevant subject expecting to walk straight into a good job are deluded.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by r_u_jelly
Yes they deserve job for studying full time 3 years and showing dedication ...more than apprentice/ BTEC or other route which is a softer option

You can have a BTEC and a degree ...
Reply 29
Explains a lot. My friend does History and he has 6 hours of week. If you did a tougher course you wouldn't see it as 'a few essays and a dissertation'.

I don't think grads are entitled to a job just from having gone to uni, but I do think it's reasonable to expect a decent job if you have gone to a good uni, got a 2.1, have some work experience and extracurriculars. People leaving with just a degree in an irrelevant subject expecting to walk straight into a good job are deluded.

I agree to an extent. I enjoy doing History, I get firsts etc etc through hard work and independent study. I then have 2 jobs, one related to the career I wish to go into along with volunteering. And then you have others (not just in History, but also the sciences, law and humanities) who do work hard at University, just like me but then complain that they got turned down for a job, when I didn't. Many of them did nothing but uni work. They complain that they feel "entitled" to a job, simply because they turned up for 3 years, did a few essays/ experiments/ projects. No.

I believe it makes one more employable yes, but "entitled"? No, that is wrong.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30
Whoever told them they'd get a job with that degree owes them such a job. Since those people are likely teachers, parents and a political party who now aren't in power (i.e. none of them can actually fulfill their obligation), graduates have to do what they'd been mislead to believe would come easily.
Reply 31
Original post by Katie_p
I don't think I deserve a job when I graduate, but I expect to get one easily.
My plan for the next few years has changed slightly over the last week or two, so I'm unlikely to be looking at "graduate" jobs anyway, more likely is that I will take an office-based or sales type job for 3/4 years, then do an LLM, and then look fo "graduate" jobs. I'll still apply for a few grad schemes that I'm interested in, but if I don't get them straight after my LLB it's not the end of the world. I'm much more focussed now on getting even more work experience than I already have before taking the next stage in my education and then really trying to start my climb up the career ladder.

I think a lot of people think they deserve a certain type of job, and to be able to just sit and wait for that one to arrive, but most don't necessarily think they deserve to walk straight into a job. I also think students who've been almost brainwashed into thinking their degree in (insert "rubbish" degree title here) is going to make them really employable deserve better than they will probably get, but only because they've been, IMO, deliberately misled, and not because they actually have the skills or ability for anything better.

I was at a dinner party a few weeks back, and I came across a Lady who said "My daughter is doing law, she wants to become a lawyer but there aren't many jobs, this government is crap etc etc etc" . I asked her if she did any work experience other than what was prescribed within the degree, she said no. I then asked her what year she was in, and found out she was in her 3rd year. Wtf? How is that the government fault then if she has not done any job for 3 years, least of all one related to law! Not even volunteered!
Where are these mythical graduates who expect the world to fall into their plate because they got a degree? Oh that's right, they're in 1968.
Explains a lot. My friend does History and he has 6 hours of uni a week. If you did a tougher course you wouldn't see it as 'a few essays and a dissertation'.

What sort of spaceship did you beam down from to think humanities is '6 hours of uni a week'? I've never heard such bull**** in my entire life.
They deserve a job, but they shouldn't just walk into a job.
Months before I finished uni I wrote the best CV I possibly could by rewriting it, and rewriting it until I did not think it could be better. Then I applied for so many jobs. Meanwhile, I got in touch with different work places, telling them who I was and asking if I could come and have a look around. That way, if I got offered an interview, they may remember me and I know more about them. This was all whilst I was studying for my final exams.
I researched all the different places I applied for, while constantly going over interview questions.
I told myself that if I did not get a job in a certain amount of time I would volunteer. Luckily I did get a job.
This is the amount of work that people should have to put in :smile:
Original post by Moosferatu
What sort of spaceship did you beam down from to think humanities is '6 hours of uni a week'? I've never heard such bull**** in my entire life.

My friend who studies History at my uni has 6 hours of contact time a week. Nice try though.

May have meant contact hours.
Reply 37

She means we have around 6 hours contact time, which is true. Obviously we do more than that independently. I do around 30 - 40.
Reply 38
My friend who studies History at my uni has 6 hours of contact time a week. Nice try though.

6 hours contact time, not study time. I don't know about your friend, but I do around 30 - 40 hours work a week independently.
Reply 39
Original post by StartSomething
They deserve a job, but they shouldn't just walk into a job.
Months before I finished uni I wrote the best CV I possibly could by rewriting it, and rewriting it until I did not think it could be better. Then I applied for so many jobs. Meanwhile, I got in touch with different work places, telling them who I was and asking if I could come and have a look around. That way, if I got offered an interview, they may remember me and I know more about them. This was all whilst I was studying for my final exams.
I researched all the different places I applied for, while constantly going over interview questions.
I told myself that if I did not get a job in a certain amount of time I would volunteer. Luckily I did get a job.
This is the amount of work that people should have to put in :smile:

There you go. You put in the work and you got a job. If you didn't, you probably would not have. But at no point were you "entitled" to a job. Better suited yes, but deserving? No.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending