The Student Room Group

Eng Lit, History, Chem and Bio combination?

I understand that I can't get into medicine as it requires maths, and I've chosen these subjects to keep my options wide i.e lawyer, dentist etc but I would like to know on a general basis, is this combination stressful to the point of overwhelming? I am confident about English literature and biology, I've never studied history and I've heard that chemistry is very difficult, though I am fairly good at it (at GCSE).
If you havn't studied History at GCSE level you will have a very steep learning curve at A level. It also suggests that you aren't interested in History, so why are you doing it?

For general advice on choosing a subject/course for Uni - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/choosing_a_subject
Reply 2
How so? I've been told that the specifications for GCSE and AS aren't linked as they focus on different periods of history, i.e WW1 in GCSE and the Crusades in AS. I do find History interesting despite my obvious lack of knowledge of the subject - I was advised to take Geography at GCSE by my teachers because I excelled in it so History became unavailable.
It isnt just 'topic' - its 'methodology' that you might find difficult.
Reply 4
Medicine does not require maths at A-Level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by returnmigrant
It isnt just 'topic' - its 'methodology' that you might find difficult.

The exam technique/information is different from GCSE and if you have at least over a B in English then you should be fine. GCSE History might help you grasp the source questions more easily but not having it doesn't put you at a disadvantage...
Original post by Levingne
The exam technique/information is different from GCSE and if you have at least over a B in English then you should be fine. GCSE History might help you grasp the source questions more easily but not having it doesn't put you at a disadvantage...

To some extent, that's true. However, English alone won't prepare you for AS History because it's based on skill, analysis and argument. They only suggest that you have a B in English so that your answer and argument are clear. :redface:
I don't think you need maths to study medicine, you definitely need chemistry though.

I found AS chemistry quite difficult, you have to really enjoy it at gcse if you want to take it as an alevel! Most people at my school felt it was the biggest jump :colondollar: however, if you've taken an iGCSE it won't be too bad!

Nice combination though :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
For Medicine read - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine

Alternative degree subject areas worth looking at - Human Biology/Anatomy/Physiology, Paramedic Science, Forensics, Physio, Speech Therapy, Community Health etc etc.
Useful website - http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/
Reply 9
I did a similar mix and my experience might be relevant: English lit, history, physics and maths.

I've always been more concerned with humanities than sciences but figured since I did okay at GCSE I could handle the A level courses and it would expand my potential.

What I found is I actually really struggled with maths and physics in AS, I realised I didn't want to get into a science career, and the grades I got (D+D) spoiled my chances of applying for history at AAA unis. So in retrospect I wouldn't have picked courses to broaden my potential, and I'd encourage you to be careful.

History should be no problem if you did it at GCSE but otherwise its a pretty standard essay structure you need to adapt to. I found english lit to be more demanding of the two but if you have the technique it's fine. I've got a vested interest as a hopeful historian so yes - do history! It's brilliant.
Reply 10
Original post by Foreverneek
I did exactly the same subjects for the same reasons! I'm doing A2 now and I dropped chemistry last year, it was my best GCSE but A-level was absolutely awful - they call it the hardest A-level for a reason (I was on AQA and the ISAs were atrocious). I wanted to be a biochemist at the beginning of year 12 and now I've applied to study English Literature at university so keeping your options open is definitely worthwhile. Any combination of A-levels is stressful - none of them are particularly easy. It's hard when, like me, you'll have coursework due for history, bio (depending on your exam board) and English due in at the same time but if you enjoy your subjects then you'll learn to struggle and push through all the bad bits. With history, as long as you have a decent memory and you can find links between events and people then you'll be fine - it uses similar skills to English! Good luck :smile:

Thank you!! This was really helpful. I will probably take Chemistry in AS and if I don't do very well I'll drop it in A2 :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by adecastick
I did a similar mix and my experience might be relevant: English lit, history, physics and maths.

I've always been more concerned with humanities than sciences but figured since I did okay at GCSE I could handle the A level courses and it would expand my potential.

What I found is I actually really struggled with maths and physics in AS, I realised I didn't want to get into a science career, and the grades I got (D+D) spoiled my chances of applying for history at AAA unis. So in retrospect I wouldn't have picked courses to broaden my potential, and I'd encourage you to be careful.

History should be no problem if you did it at GCSE but otherwise its a pretty standard essay structure you need to adapt to. I found english lit to be more demanding of the two but if you have the technique it's fine. I've got a vested interest as a hopeful historian so yes - do history! It's brilliant.

Thank you! This was definitely helpful and I'm more reassured in taking History now. Good luck becoming a historian, you'll be brilliant! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest