The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

European/Int. Applicants at Queen Margaret University.

Hello, I am from Greece and I recently applied to QMU for the course of BA Theatre and Film. I am from Corfu, a lovely island in Greece. I'd thought I start a new thread here for European applicants and also international. Its a great chance to get to know each other before entering the UK. Fell free to post any threads. :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! :smile:
I'm from Italy, living in Milan. I've applied for public relations and marketing and haven't heard anything back yet.
The waiting is soo stressful!

Where else did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Reply 2
Love Italy, my father is half italian from Lecce, Puglia. My favorite place is Florence I go there almost every year. Dont worry they will reply soon. I applied in early November and heard back a couple of weeks ago.
I also applied to Keele, Greenwich, Napier and Newcastle. Received offers from all of them but still Newcastle hasn't replied. Where did you apply apart from QMU?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
So cool! I go to Puglia every year, I love it! Unfortunately I've been neither to Florece nor to Greece. It's a pity!
I'd love to spend my summer holidays in Corfu. I heard it's such a nice place with beautiful beaches and an amazing nightlife, which is all I want :biggrin:

That's reassuring, I sent my application off on the 4th January. :smile:
I applied to University of Strathclyde, Glasgow Caledonian, UWS, Robert Gordon uni. I've received an uncontidional offer from Strathclyde and a conditional one from Caledonian, they want an official translation of my diploma, so far.
Is QMU your first choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Cool, haha yeah you can sure come to Corfu. If we ever meet if u come to QMU you will know someone from the island to show you the best places. I went to Glasgow last year. Last year I was supposed to go and study in UWS but left after two weeks. I hated the place the uni was, I met great people but the uni is just too small, just a building. I went to Hamilton a place which I hated. I am more of a European person I don't like small places. Glasgow was great, a wonderful city but I like more Edinburgh its more beautiful and you have a lot of things to see there.
Yeah I think QMU is my first choice or Napier Im not sure yet. QMU has a great reputation of arts subject and a great alumni but Napier is also larger. I'll see but probably QMU.
You? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm for Lithuania, applied for Film and Media. Still nothing! :smile:
Reply 6
Great! You are more than welcome if you ever want to come to Milan :smile:.
Uws is actually my backup choice, though I haven't heard anything back yet. I exceed their entry requirements for marketing, so It should be fine. We'll see! Anyway, if I ended up studying there, I would be at Paisley campus which is something like 10/15 minutes by train from Glasgow city centre. Not too bad. :smile:

I still don't know where to go, i keep changing my mind!
QMU looks so good and the course sounds really interesting. Also I think the location is great: 8 minutes by train from Edi and, at the same time, you can easily find a quiet place to chill out.
I'm going to Glasgow in April and am planning to visit all the unis I applied to.

It's gonna take me forever to decide!

What about accommodation? Are you going to stay in halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by BlueberryJamLucy
Hi, I'm for Lithuania, applied for Film and Media. Still nothing! :smile:

Hello Lithuania, oh dont worry you will hear back pretty soon. Good choice QMU as it has a very strong reputation for film courses. I am applying for Theatre and Film but might transfer to film and media dont know yet. Its QMU ur first chocie?
Reply 8
Original post by Lucia92
Great! You are more than welcome if you ever want to come to Milan :smile:.
Uws is actually my backup choice, though I haven't heard anything back yet. I exceed their entry requirements for marketing, so It should be fine. We'll see! Anyway, if I ended up studying there, I would be at Paisley campus which is something like 10/15 minutes by train from Glasgow city centre. Not too bad. :smile:

I still don't know where to go, i keep changing my mind!
QMU looks so good and the course sounds really interesting. Also I think the location is great: 8 minutes by train from Edi and, at the same time, you can easily find a quiet place to chill out.
I'm going to Glasgow in April and am planning to visit all the unis I applied to.

It's gonna take me forever to decide!

What about accommodation? Are you going to stay in halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you should go and check the unis its a very good idea. Yeah I am staying in the halls and then a flat with roomates of course, its expensive and also its an experience to share your house with others. QMU its a bit expensive but considering the fact that lasty year UWS was deanding almost 4000 euros for accodomation it was just too much for a small place. I entered their halls last year and they were awful, 6 people in one shared bathroom and just everything was old. My friend who is studying at QMU told me that their accodomation is a bit expensive but its all very modern and nice. Wbu?
Reply 9
6 people in one shared bathroom?! That's insane!
I've already experienced to share a flat with 6 people but, luckily, we had 2 bathrooms :biggrin:.

I was thinking about sharing a flat with students close to the uni because it's cheaper, I guess.
Having said that, I really would love to stay in halls for the first year and living the typical "uni experience" even though it seems to be awfully expensive. Thus, I could try to save up for it by working in Glasgow. Besides I am bit concerned because, it may sound stupid, I will be 22 in September and I might not fit in with the 18 year olds, though 4 years isn't that much of a gap.
I know some universities have halls for mature students but I think they are too "mature".

Well, I'm really confused. :biggrin:
I need to do some research. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Lucia92
6 people in one shared bathroom?! That's insane!
I've already experienced to share a flat with 6 people but, luckily, we had 2 bathrooms :biggrin:.

I was thinking about sharing a flat with students close to the uni because it's cheaper, I guess.
Having said that, I really would love to stay in halls for the first year and living the typical "uni experience" even though it seems to be awfully expensive. Thus, I could try to save up for it by working in Glasgow. Besides I am bit concerned because, it may sound stupid, I will be 22 in September and I might not fit in with the 18 year olds, though 4 years isn't that much of a gap.
I know some universities have halls for mature students but I think they are too "mature".

Well, I'm really confused. :biggrin:
I need to do some research. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont worry Im 19 (not a difference from being an 18 years old) but believe it or not I used to hang out with people that were 4-5 years older than me haha. Um, yeah I am working during the summer period to save money but Im also going to work in Edinburgh either inside the uni or outside I will try and find a part time job. Yeah research sound good!! :smile:
Reply 11
Yeah, me too. I must find a part time job. Don't want to burden my family.:smile:

Cool!
Hope 18 year olds will be able to keep up with me haha :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by John48
Hello Lithuania, oh dont worry you will hear back pretty soon. Good choice QMU as it has a very strong reputation for film courses. I am applying for Theatre and Film but might transfer to film and media dont know yet. Its QMU ur first chocie?

Oh, I hope so! I don't really have a first choice, I just sit here, waiting and hoping for an offer (at things like this, I have no confidence whatsoever)! If I somehow happen to get more than one, it's going to be a tough decision. Since our courses are quite similar, we'll probably see each other around, if I happen to go to QMU after all :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Lucia92
Yeah, me too. I must find a part time job. Don't want to burden my family.:smile:

Cool!
Hope 18 year olds will be able to keep up with me haha :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha sure dont worry! good luck then and hope to see you around at QMU :smile:
Reply 14
Oh, I hope so! I don't really have a first choice, I just sit here, waiting and hoping for an offer (at things like this, I have no confidence whatsoever)! If I somehow happen to get more than one, it's going to be a tough decision. Since our courses are quite similar, we'll probably see each other around, if I happen to go to QMU after all :smile:

oh no, you have to have confidence, I agree you dont know what to expect but you need to have confidence for yourself and the results to be great. QMU is not that hard to get into, so probaply you'll get into no worries.
What other unis have you applied to? :smile:
Original post by John48
oh no, you have to have confidence, I agree you dont know what to expect but you need to have confidence for yourself and the results to be great. QMU is not that hard to get into, so probaply you'll get into no worries.
What other unis have you applied to? :smile:

I'm pretty confident that I know my way around visuals and with some great effort nice things could happen, but will they see it in me? Will my school achievement be enough for them? These are the questions only they know the answers to. I can only keep my fingers crossed for the best. :smile:
I've also applied for University of the West of Scotland, Stirling, Edinburgh and Edinburgh Napier. I'm aware that I probably aimed a bit too high with a few of them, but hey, it doesn't hurt to try. I chose according to the vibes they give me and desired locations. No replies from any of them yet.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
I know it is easier said than done but try not to worry too much. They're probably overloaded with applications at the moment as it is around the deadline. :smile:
You're clearly being considered and I am sure you'll hear back from them soon.
We are in the same boat actually. :biggrin:
Wish you the best of luck and fingers crossed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucia92
I know it is easier said than done but try not to worry too much. They're probably overloaded with applications at the moment as it is around the deadline. :smile:
You're clearly being considered and I am sure you'll hear back from them soon.
We are in the same boat actually. :biggrin:
Wish you the best of luck and fingers crossed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

All this waiting doesn't affect me very much, 'cause I understand it takes time, but you know, when you've got too much time on your hands, you start wondering, like, 'what if not one of them gives me an offer? what do I do then?' It's like, if I don't go to Scotland this school year, then I really have no idea where else to go. I know that if I get stuck in here, it'll probably be forever. So I'm on a mission to do anything it takes to get the hell out of here. :biggrin:
Thank you for the support, good luck to you too :smile:
Reply 18
All this waiting doesn't affect me very much, 'cause I understand it takes time, but you know, when you've got too much time on your hands, you start wondering, like, 'what if not one of them gives me an offer? what do I do then?' It's like, if I don't go to Scotland this school year, then I really have no idea where else to go. I know that if I get stuck in here, it'll probably be forever. So I'm on a mission to do anything it takes to get the hell out of here. :biggrin:
Thank you for the support, good luck to you too :smile:

Yeah, I understand. I was feeling exactly the same before receiving my first offer, I kept overthinking, lots of "what ifs".
I am optimistic though and I'm sure you'll get in where you want to.:smile:

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Hi, I just got my offer for Theatre and Film Studies :smile: (conditional one though)
My name is Irina, I am Russian from Latvia :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest