The Student Room Group

Best car to learn to drive in for a short girl who is only 5 foot tall?

I've had lessons in a ford focus before and it was a bit of a stretch to push the clutch down even when I had the seat fully forward.
I'm 5" too :biggrin:

I find ford fiestas and renault clios very easy to drive, though I had to use my toes a little in the fiesta to be able to fully push down the clutch.
Reply 2
I learn in a Fiesta and I can rest my face on the windscreen at full forward seat setting.
Most instructors will use small cars though you shouldn't have a problem i.e. C1, Yaris, 206, Polo, Clio, Corsa

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by justascribble
I've had lessons in a ford focus before and it was a bit of a stretch to push the clutch down even when I had the seat fully forward.

Look for an instructor with a Fiat Panda, it has a very upright sitting position and pretty good for drivers who has shorter legs.

Also could look for one with a Toyota Aygo or a Citroen C1.
Reply 5
Original post by justascribble

Also get cushíons :smile: even my ínstructors short students leave them ín the car for use.
I'm 4'11" and I'm learning in a Mini. I have the seat fully forward (obviously) and I'm fine.
When I started learning I had a shaky left leg when I had the clutch pressed down and my instructor was concerned it was because I was having to stretch too far. Because of that, she bought me a cushion to use, but the shakiness has gone completely now, so it was probably just nerves/using muscles in my legs I've never used before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I learn in a toyta yaris and i have to put my seat fully back and im not even tall. ive seen on other forums aswel and they all say yaris has good seating position for shorter people.
Learnt in a Kia Picanto & I drive a Toyota Yaris. I'm 5ft 2in. x
I'm 5"2 and learning in a Ford Fiesta, I have to be really close to the wheel but I find it very comfortable and I don't struggle with the pedals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am 6' and have struggled to get into a Toyota Aygo let alone sit a comfortable driving position, so I imagine it would be quite a good car for shorter people.

I drive a Mazda 2 and have found that the seat goes quite a long way forward, so that might be an option too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Someone told me that you can he the pedals raised or something.

Fiat 500, this girl who had feet the size of my hand. And I have small hands drove one
VW Up
Ford Ka - my wife is short with disproportionately short legs and she says it is the best car she has driven from this perspective.
Reply 14
I'm 5'2 (with fairly short legs) and drive a Hyundai i10 - not sure how good it would be for learning to drive, but it's lovely for me. I don't even need the seat as far forward as it can go.
Funily enough I'm roughly the same height as you (and a bit fuller around the waist!) at first my instructors Skoda 1.6 Diesel Yeti car was a real pain (literally) to drive in, but in the past month I don't notice the pain. He said it could just be because the muscles in my legs aren't used to being stretched in that way.

I've got myself a KA to drive for when I pass and while I've been out in with it a friend it's nice and comfortable. I recommend it for tiny people!
Im under 5 foot
But found a Clio wasn't the best, I had a little uncomfortable stretching to do to reach the clutch (But I am shorter) I found a Toyota much better (both my instructors cars)

I know drive a Corsa, I reach the peddles perfectly but have to have a cushion because my seats were replaced and the new ones don't have a height adjustable feature ):

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending