The Student Room Group

Universities for Medicine

So, I'm hoping to go to a University to study Medicine. But, there are soooo many Universities to choose from.

I'm just wondering, of those of you whom study Medicine, which Universities you had decided on and how you had managed to come up with your final 4?

Thanks!

:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Kavita a
So, I'm hoping to go to a University to study Medicine. But, there are soooo many Universities to choose from.

I'm just wondering, of those of you whom study Medicine, which Universities you had decided on and how you had managed to come up with your final 4?

Thanks!

Lol there aren't that many in the UK compared to other subjects. Because medicine is so competitive you need to match the universities to your strengths, so if you had all A*'s at GCSE, look for the ones which place emphasis on GCSE results, if you did well in the BMAT, look at universities that have a high cut off for that. Have a look at the TSR medicine wiki for full details of what each university looks for. Do consider the course and location as well, but if you want offers its most important to play to your strengths.
Original post by Kavita a

Thanks!

Just reiterating the advice of the person above, really. Medicine is crazy competitive, ~60% of people get no offers in a given cycle, so it is absolutely essential to apply to your strengths. Read through the wiki to figure out where might be a good fit for you, and under no circumstances waste an application on a place where you don't even meet the minimum requirements. If they want 5A*s at GCSE, don't apply with 4! If the the UKCAT is weighted highly, or a cut off used, don't apply with a score of 590. If you are strong all around and there are plenty of places where you feel competitive, it's time to start looking at course structures (do you want to do an intercalated degree? Do you want lectures or PBL? Big city or more rural?) and locations. After all, you are going to have to live there for a minimum of 5 years; compromising on location is one thing if they are literally the only medical school that will take you, but otherwise you don't want to live somewhere you don't at least like.

Personally, I applied to Nottingham, Oxford, Southampton and Peninsula. 3 of these were stupid decisions. Southampton didn't interview back in those days, and interviews are a strength of mine. I was rejected because my personal statement wasn't fantastic. I was a reasonable fit for Oxford, but I kind of felt pressured into applying there by my school; the BMAT kicked my ass because I didn't revise properly for it and couldn't do any of the maths/physics. So that was rejection number 2.

Peninsula did give me an offer, but I didn't want to go there. Plymouth is a hell hole, and Exeter is too close to home (I used to commute there and it took about 20 minutes, so I would have struggled to justify moving out to my parents). Not want I wanted from a university experience.

That left Nottingham. I liked the way the course was laid out. I liked the city. I LOVED the university campus and I was a very good fit for their entry requirements. Fortunately, they liked me too. If they hadn't, I would have been left with a choice between a uni I didn't want to go to and a gap year.

Edit: Definitely not dissing the medical schools formerly known as PMS, here. If I had lived anywhere else in the country then I would have been very happy to go there, but part of what I wanted from university was independence. I feel like I have this living 200 miles from home, but wouldn't have if there was a chance of bumping into my dad every time I popped out for lunch.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending