The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy Peogram 2014 international applicants

Hello Everyone,

I am sure I am not the only international applying SLT in the UK. I have applied so far to Reading, City, Queen M, and Sheffield. I am from USA! I would like to hear form more internationals that are applying as well. So far I have been conditionally accepted into Queen M... But I am still nervous and eager to hear from the other schools. I would really like a definite offer -- full admission to one of the above schools I applied to.

Please respond to this thread, I would like to hear from other international who have applied or is applying! Hope to hear from you soon!!!!
Reply 1
Hi Faite!

I am from Singapre. I am heading to QMU and Robert Gordon University to check out the campus and talk to someone from the department. I am looking at the MSc Diagnostic Radiology (pre-reg) and Msc Audiology (Pre-reg). i can only apply in 2015/2016 as i am still saving up for my fees.

Are you looking at BSc or MSc (Pre-reg)?
Reply 2
Original post by ngkianhock
Hi Faite!

I am from Singapre. I am heading to QMU and Robert Gordon University to check out the campus and talk to someone from the department. I am looking at the MSc Diagnostic Radiology (pre-reg) and Msc Audiology (Pre-reg). i can only apply in 2015/2016 as i am still saving up for my fees.

Are you looking at BSc or MSc (Pre-reg)?

Hiii,

Nice to hear from another international!!! That's great that you are going to visit the school! Please tell me all about it. I could only visit UCL, City and Reading for Speech Therapy Programs! I am looking at applying for postgraduate Msc Speech language therapy! Hey Audiology is a great field... it is really connected with speech therapy! Well done! Have you applied to any other schools for Audiology programs???
Reply 3
Original post by Faite
Hello Everyone,

I am sure I am not the only international applying SLT in the UK. I have applied so far to Reading, City, Queen M, and Sheffield. I am from USA! I would like to hear form more internationals that are applying as well. So far I have been conditionally accepted into Queen M... But I am still nervous and eager to hear from the other schools. I would really like a definite offer -- full admission to one of the above schools I applied to.

Please respond to this thread, I would like to hear from other international who have applied or is applying! Hope to hear from you soon!!!!

Hey!!

I'm applying from Canada! I've received an unconditional offer at QMU and I've got an interview with UCL in a couple of weeks. Still waiting to hear from Reading!

What's your first choice??
Reply 4
Hey! It's really nice to hear from this information! Did you apply for postgrad or for undergraduate in speech therapy? I am applying for postgraduate. I could not apply for UCL since I was still studying in school and I have not graduated. I did visit UCL and it was beautiful... Good luck on your interview! Reading or City is my first choice.. Did you apply to City???
Reply 5
Original post by Faite
Hey! It's really nice to hear from this information! Did you apply for postgrad or for undergraduate in speech therapy? I am applying for postgraduate. I could not apply for UCL since I was still studying in school and I have not graduated. I did visit UCL and it was beautiful... Good luck on your interview! Reading or City is my first choice.. Did you apply to City???

Thanks! I'll also be doing my postgrad. I didn't apply to City because it's a 3 year program, although QMU is almost as long at 2.5 years. Do you/anyone else have any idea how many international students Reading accepts each year??
Reply 6
Ohh gotcha! What did you study for undergrad? Reading I heard only accepts about 15 people which about 3oo applicants apply and they only accept about a third international students... But don't get discouraged!!! How many years is the UCL programme?
Reply 7
To TR88

how many schools did you apply to and which ones?
Reply 8
Hello! I'm sorry i missed out on your post.

I am not in a position to apply for the PgDip at QMU yet, as my bank accounts are not ready. I'm still saving up, and hopefully the exchange rates are in my favour. I hope to visit QMU and shadow a audiologist and radiographer, to understand their scope of work, and help me with making a decision.

I have worries over the salaries offered by NHS. The typical salary is around GBP 24000 annually. After rental... i'm not sure if i'll need to live from paycheck to paycheck. what's your view on this?
Reply 9
Hey.... Great! I have gotten an conditional offer form QMU! I am hoping to get scholarships!!! It is really awesome you are going for audiology!! Nice! Where are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hi! I'm an international student from Trinidad and Tobago (and also Canada haha). I got an offer last year (which I had to defer) from Reading for their postgrad speech therapy program so I'll be starting in September. I'm super excited/nervous! Best of luck to all of you applying!
Reply 11
Hello! Thank you! Sorry for the late reply! Are you going to U of Reading this September???!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Faite
Hello! Thank you! Sorry for the late reply! Are you going to U of Reading this September???!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep, I'll be starting this September! But I got my offer last year so I've had a long time to be excited haha.
Reply 13
Hello! Congratulations! Hopefully I will meet you in September too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just a random question, but will this qualification transfer to your home countries? Or are you hoping to stay in the UK?
Reply 15
Hi

Good questions which I have looked into. Through ASHA( American speech and hearing association) my qualifications can transfer but I am hoping to stay and work in the UK for a couple of years. Are you studying speech therapy at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No I am applying for the 2015 entry. I am just trying to gain as much experience possible, but I did look into studying in the States. I did a study abroad year there last year and I am adamant that I will return, so I wondered if the qualification could be used out there.
Reply 17
Hi that's cool! If you look at that link below you can learn how you can use your qualification in your home country!!

http://www.asha.org/certification/MultilateralMRA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much for posting that, it is very handy to know :smile:
Reply 19
Heyyyyyy no problem :smile: :smile: :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest