The Student Room Group

Sophie wants to get fit!

Scroll to see replies

I'm confused now. Could you do a day to day thing so I'm more clear on things? If you wouldn't mind. Include squats, sit ups etc. I'll be doing 1kg to 2.5kg weights with my squats too so!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MalteseMalteser
Sounds good! I'd focus more on the long distance than the interval training, it'd still give you the intensity of the training, but maybe do the interval training 2 times a week if the field is close to your house? You will need rest days from the running exercise otherwise your legs won't fully recover :smile: 1 stone in weight loss is really good though, so keep it up! :smile:

I'm confused now. Could you do a day to day thing so I'm more clear on things? If you wouldn't mind. Include squats, sit ups etc. I'll be doing 1kg to 2.5kg weights with my squats too so!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophieleannexo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, let me try this one out:

Monday:
sit ups
push ups
Squats
Interval training

Tuesday:
squats
Long distance running

Wednesday:
sit ups
push ups
squats

Thursday:
sit ups
push ups
squats
Interval training

Friday:
sit ups
push ups
squats
Long distance running

Saturday:
sit ups
push ups
squats

Sunday:
sit ups
push ups
squats
Long distance running

How is that? :smile:

Monday:
sit ups
push ups
Squats
Interval training

Tuesday:
squats
Long distance running

Wednesday:
sit ups
push ups
squats

Thursday:
sit ups
push ups
squats
Interval training

Friday:
sit ups
push ups
squats
Long distance running

Saturday:
sit ups
push ups
squats

Sunday:
sit ups
push ups
squats
Long distance running

That's fine. Probably switch some stuff around so I didn't run on a Sunday! :P Ermm so the squats would have to match my rest days as the squat challenge is 2 days squats then rest. Sit ups would be 3 sets of 30 & push ups would be 20. Long distance running would be fine. Interval training is still confusing me!!! Sorry about this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's fine. Probably switch some stuff around so I didn't run on a Sunday! :P Ermm so the squats would have to match my rest days as the squat challenge is 2 days squats then rest. Sit ups would be 3 sets of 30 & push ups would be 20. Long distance running would be fine. Interval training is still confusing me!!! Sorry about this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh okay, sorry I thought the squat challenge was everyday - must've misinterpreted the 30 day part of it. But yeah obviously feel free to change bits around and integrate the squat challenge in with the programme in the form of rest days etc. :tongue: If you are going to move things around though I'd say make sure you have 3-4 sessions of long distance running, and 1-2 sessions of Interval training (if you want to do it).

Interval training is where you sprint over a short distance repeatedly (e.g. 20 metres), whilst having short recovery time between runs (e.g. 1 minute). Normally you do about 10 runs with one distance.

Then you can either decrease the recovery time between runs (down from 1 minute to 30 seconds) or keep the recovery time the same but increase the distance (from 20 metres to 30 metres) although the former is normally preferred. After this it's just a matter of fact of rinse and repeat.

But if you're still not sure, do a google search. If you're still not sure after that, just stick with the long distance running :smile:
Ahh okay, sorry I thought the squat challenge was everyday - must've misinterpreted the 30 day part of it. But yeah obviously feel free to change bits around and integrate the squat challenge in with the programme in the form of rest days etc. :tongue: If you are going to move things around though I'd say make sure you have 3-4 sessions of long distance running, and 1-2 sessions of Interval training (if you want to do it).

Interval training is where you sprint over a short distance repeatedly (e.g. 20 metres), whilst having short recovery time between runs (e.g. 1 minute). Normally you do about 10 runs with one distance.

Then you can either decrease the recovery time between runs (down from 1 minute to 30 seconds) or keep the recovery time the same but increase the distance (from 20 metres to 30 metres) although the former is normally preferred. After this it's just a matter of fact of rinse and repeat.

But if you're still not sure, do a google search. If you're still not sure after that, just stick with the long distance running :smile:

Now it makes sense! I'll sort it out tomorrow as I want to start from February so I have a fresh start & so I can get stuff sorted :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Now it makes sense! I'll sort it out tomorrow as I want to start from February so I have a fresh start & so I can get stuff sorted :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds good! gives you a week to plan and buy all the clothing you need (obviously with the advice myself and a few others gave you in your other thread) :smile:

Good luck, and I hope it all goes well :smile:
Sounds good! gives you a week to plan and buy all the clothing you need (obviously with the advice myself and a few others gave you in your other thread) :smile:

Good luck, and I hope it all goes well :smile:

Thank you for your help! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else recommend anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For toning up, I personally went a bit extreme. 100 sit-ups every night for about two or three months. I got a 4 pack, I just couldn't lose enough fat to make it six. Two years on, and having hugely decreased the amount of exercise I do due to work, and the 4 pack is still there. Now you don't have to go all balls out, just 20-30 sit-ups every two days or so will probably help you become a bit more toned in that area. For the legs and arms, the running will probably do that for you.

No.

Sit ups are good, so are push ups if you want a bit of toning in your arms. I'd say squats are mainly for building muscle, not necessarily toning. So you might end up with huge legs but a toned frame if you do squats a lot. With what you're looking for though, I'd say stick to the running with doing a bit of squats on the side...

No.

Monday:
sit ups
push ups
Squats
Interval training

Tuesday:
squats
Long distance running

Wednesday:
sit ups
push ups
squats

Thursday:
sit ups
push ups
squats
Interval training

Friday:
sit ups
push ups
squats
Long distance running

Saturday:
sit ups
push ups
squats

Sunday:
sit ups
push ups
squats
Long distance running

Jesus christ, no.

Original post by ravishingrick69
rear glute spread pics needed for evaluation

top kek

I'm a slim 7 stone and 4ft 10. I used to be very sporty so kept up my fitness well, however personal circumstances stopped my sports! I really don't have the money to join a gym right now but I want to tone up, get some strength & work on my stamina. I have a relatively healthy diet though it could be improved. Can anyone help with this? - diet and exercise part.

Strength - lift heavy things frequently.
Stamina - exercise frequently.
Tone up/i.e. be slimmer - lose weight.

Also, don't be so lazy it's really not hard to find these things out anymore. It shouldn't be hard for you to learn everything you need in an hour with the internet;
Muscle building - http://bit.ly/1cfzhqF
Increase stamina - http://bit.ly/1cfzlqm
Lose weight - http://bit.ly/Pt0ypb

Monday:
sit ups
push ups
Squats
Interval training

Tuesday:
squats
Long distance running

Wednesday:
sit ups
push ups
squats

Thursday:
sit ups
push ups
squats
Interval training

Friday:
sit ups
push ups
squats
Long distance running

Saturday:
sit ups
push ups
squats

Sunday:
sit ups
push ups
squats
Long distance running

What the ****, is this real life? No rest, squats everyday and press-ups/sit-ups everyday? Please tell me you're trolling, OP don't listen to anything this guy has posted other than his advice on what to wear when running.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by pinda.college
What the ****, is this real life? No rest, squats everyday and press-ups/sit-ups everyday? Please tell me you're trolling, OP don't listen to anything this guy has posted other than his advice on what to wear when running.

Haha no of course it's not real life, I think even gym junkies would struggle with that routine. She did say she wanted it intensive and that is intensive, but in my opinion the only thing you need rest for is the running, hence the two on, one off, two on, two off routine. Originally I had posted to run every other day, meaning that there are 3-4 rest days a week.

She's told me she's going to (rightly) alter it so it works round her squat challenge anyway, so that should mean she's alright. I have also stressed the importance of rest days (albeit not in the poorly made table above)
Haha no of course it's not real life, I think even gym junkies would struggle with that routine. She did say she wanted it intensive and that is intensive, but in my opinion the only thing you need rest for is the running, hence the two on, one off, two on, two off routine. Originally I had posted to run every other day, meaning that there are 3-4 rest days a week.

She's told me she's going to (rightly) alter it so it works round her squat challenge anyway, so that should mean she's alright. I have also stressed the importance of rest days (albeit not in the poorly made table above)

I'll be doing my squat challenge alongside my sit ups and push ups so I'll rest during those days. On the days I rest which is every two days I'm going to go for a run.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nopenopenope
No.

No.

Jesus christ, no.

top kek

Strength - lift heavy things frequently.
Stamina - exercise frequently.
Tone up/i.e. be slimmer - lose weight.

Also, don't be so lazy it's really not hard to find these things out anymore. It shouldn't be hard for you to learn everything you need in an hour with the internet;
Muscle building - http://bit.ly/1cfzhqF
Increase stamina - http://bit.ly/1cfzlqm
Lose weight - http://bit.ly/Pt0ypb

I don't need to lose anymore weight. I'm not being lazy. I looked on the iinternet before asking on here. I just got confused!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll be doing my squat challenge alongside my sit ups and push ups so I'll rest during those days. On the days I rest which is every two days I'm going to go for a run.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The squat challenge is retarded, don't even bother.

Mate... No. A 'gym junkie' wouldn't even attempt a routine like that because they know it's useless and if they did I'm pretty sure they wouldn't struggle with bodyweight exercsies.

I don't need to lose anymore weight. I'm not being lazy. I looked on the iinternet before asking on here. I just got confused!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Define: 'tone'

As others have already said. MalteseMalteser has given some very bad advice.

Doing pushups every day will lead to huge muscle imbalance and after a while will just become an endurance exercise.
Original post by nopenopenope
The squat challenge is retarded, don't even bother.

Mate... No. A 'gym junkie' wouldn't even attempt a routine like that because they know it's useless and if they did I'm pretty sure they wouldn't struggle with bodyweight exercsies.

Define: 'tone'

Why is it "retarded" as you say? & "tone" is basically building up existing muscle I guess? I'm not sure but I've been told by my GP that losing anymore weight is a no no!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JollyJelly
As others have already said. MalteseMalteser has given some very bad advice.

Doing pushups every day will lead to huge muscle imbalance and after a while will just become an endurance exercise.

So what would you recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why is it "retarded" as you say? & "tone" is basically building up existing muscle I guess? I'm not sure but I've been told by my GP that losing anymore weight is a no no!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doing 30 or 100 squats a day or whatever the challenge is won't grow much muscle. This is because that many reps makes it mostly an endurance exercise and your body would get used to 30 bodyweight squats a day very quickly. If you want a better ass and legs you would need to squat with weight in the 5 rep range perhaps. Again, google will help try googling 'barbell squats for girls or something' Or 'why should girls squat with weight' etc

As for what I recommend. You need to decide whether you want to mostly get fit or mostly want to build a better looking body. Do mostly cardio with a couple of weight sessions if it's the former and do mostly weights with a couple of cardio sessions if it's the latter. Again. google will help you look for programmes and shiz
Original post by JollyJelly
Doing 30 or 100 squats a day or whatever the challenge is won't grow much muscle. This is because that many reps makes it mostly an endurance exercise and your body would get used to 30 bodyweight squats a day very quickly. If you want a better ass and legs you would need to squat with weight in the 5 rep range perhaps. Again, google will help try googling 'barbell squats for girls or something' Or 'why should girls squat with weight' etc

As for what I recommend. You need to decide whether you want to mostly get fit or mostly want to build a better looking body. Do mostly cardio with a couple of weight sessions if it's the former and do mostly weights with a couple of cardio sessions if it's the latter. Again. google will help you look for programmes and shiz

Ok.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest