The Student Room Group

passed my driving test but too scared to drive my big car

Hi everyone,

I passed my driving test the other day and i'm so scared and nervous of driving my big 4x4 :frown:

My main worry is positioning as its so big and wide i'm either worrying about being too close to the curb or too close to oncoming traffic. Another worry is roundabouts. I just don't know what to do i've spent so much money on lessons and passing my test and now i can i'm too scared to.

Has anyone got any advice for me please?

Thank you for taking the time to read xx
Reply 1
Hi,

Maybe get your intrsuctor to give you a 1/2 hour lesson with your car?

You've passed your test so the whole point is to obviously drive.

Now…apparently bigger cars are easier to manoeuvre. You just need to learn judgement with the car and take it easy - if you start panicking it's all going to fall apart - I can feel your anxiousness pouring through my laptop.

Roundabouts? Position yourself as you would do in any car.

Also you know the windscreen wash on a car? There are two little 'jet things' on either side of the front of the car. When I learnt to drive they said if the left 'jet' (closer to the curb) is lined up with the pavement then your positioning is fine. (This may or may not make sense and if it doesn't just ignore me completely - I don't want to make it worse!)

P.s it's always best to be too close to oncoming traffic - because they can move. If you hit a curb/parked cars it'll be no fun and there is no way either of those things will move to avoid you :smile: What's really best is if you stay in your lane actually, but you get my point.

Also - think about this -a BUS drives in the lines you drive in so you'll be absolutely fine!

Confidence OP, Confidence :smile:

Good Luck :smile:
Original post by k.e.brown14
Hi everyone,

I passed my driving test the other day and i'm so scared and nervous of driving my big 4x4 :frown:

My main worry is positioning as its so big and wide i'm either worrying about being too close to the curb or too close to oncoming traffic. Another worry is roundabouts. I just don't know what to do i've spent so much money on lessons and passing my test and now i can i'm too scared to.

Has anyone got any advice for me please?

Thank you for taking the time to read xx

Good advice given out above.

What 4x4 is it out of curiosity? Surprised a new driver would go for a 4x4 as a first car, very surprising :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Where do you live? I didn't have a car for almost a year after passing. Next time I had the opportunity to drive I was so scared.

But my parents lived in the countryside so little traffic so my mum would just take me driving to practice again.
Reply 4
Thank you minion that's great advice ... I just have to stop over thinking it :frown: to be honest I wish I had a smaller car but its a gift to keep me safe so can't really be ungreatful lol.

Hi James it's a VW touraeg and as I've just said it's a gift so can't be ungreatful being bought a new car but I really would have preferred a smaller one to begin with lol .. even though it is a pretty awesome car xx
Reply 5
Original post by danny111
Where do you live? I didn't have a car for almost a year after passing. Next time I had the opportunity to drive I was so scared.

But my parents lived in the countryside so little traffic so my mum would just take me driving to practice again.

I'm near Nottingham xx
Reply 6
I'm near Nottingham xx

How much did you pay to get insured on a 4x4 as a new driver?
Reply 7
Just get some practice in quieter areas with your parent or a friend in the car. Avoid having music on in the car until you're confident.

It will take you a few weeks to get used to it.
Reply 8
Original post by vision1
How much did you pay to get insured on a 4x4 as a new driver?

I'm just the named driver rather than the policy holder so wasn't as much xx
Reply 9
Original post by Henrikh
Just get some practice in quieter areas with your parent or a friend in the car. Avoid having music on in the car until you're confident.

It will take you a few weeks to get used to it.

Yeh cos I am defiently too scared to drive alone lol ... i'm so tempted to go to town then get panicky lol xx
Reply 10
Original post by euphrosyne
Oh god, that was me! I passed my test like 5 months ago and I got a Range Rover Sport straight after being used to driving a small Nissan Sentra, and believe me, I found it so much harder(/scarier) to drive it cause it's just too big, especially when it comes to parking. I'm so **** at it and never dare parking between two cars in reverse, it's too risky for me :lol: Good luck though. You get used to it after a while (except the parking :rolleyes:)

Thank god i'm not the only one lol! I've gone from a fiesta to a tank haha! Did you worry about how wide it was etc? And judging how much room you had in relation to the curb?
How long was it before you drove it alone? Xx
Reply 11
Thank god i'm not the only one lol! I've gone from a fiesta to a tank haha! Did you worry about how wide it was etc? And judging how much room you had in relation to the curb?
How long was it before you drove it alone? Xx

Hi how is the driving going. I have simlar issues. Have u improved
Original post by rav79
Hi how is the driving going. I have simlar issues. Have u improved

Thread is over half a year old and the OP hasn't been on for 6 months.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending