The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Is a 2.1 degree good? Or will only a 1st do?

Say for example, an engineer from UCL graduates with a 2.1 degree - will (s)he find it difficult to get onto a graduate scheme for engineering, or perhaps one of the magic circle law firms graduate schemes?

Will getting a first make an enormous difference?
Well considering the relatively small number of people who get firsts especially in law degrees (around 6%) of course a first will look really good on your application but a 2.1 is enough to get you past the requirements on most schemes and I'm guessing the majority of people with training contracts have a good/high 2.1.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Only an Oxbridge first will do I'm afraid old boy
Original post by GreenOut
Say for example, an engineer from UCL graduates with a 2.1 degree - will (s)he find it difficult to get onto a graduate scheme for engineering

Depends on how good of an engineer he/she is.

or perhaps one of the magic circle law firms graduate schemes?

I don't know.

Will getting a first make an enormous difference?

In some cases, it'll make a difference (although the magnitude of which, I am not sure); in other cases, it won't.
Reply 4
Original post by adamsmithqm
Well considering the relatively small number of people who get firsts especially in law degrees (around 6%) of course a first will look really good on your application but a 2.1 is enough to get you past the requirements on most schemes and I'm guessing the majority of people with training contracts have a good/high 2.1.

So you think it's very possible to land a training contract at a magic circle firm with a 2.1 in engineering from UCL?
Original post by GreenOut
So you think it's very possible to land a training contract at a magic circle firm with a 2.1 in engineering from UCL?

There is far more to getting a training contract than your degree classification and the University you attended especially at a Magic Circle law firm. If its of any help I thing grades and university reputation wise you would be in a good position.

I really have no idea if you could get a training contract.

Ask Tortious, Arrowhead or JacketPotato. Those guys are far more qualified to answer than me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending