The Student Room Group

Chemistry or History

So, I want to do maths at uni, and I'm doing maths, further maths and physics A level, but I don't know if I should do history or chemistry as my 4th. I'm predicted A* in both for GCSE, but which is more harder at A level? Would doing all science based subjects for A level be bad? And are essays in history A level a lot more difficult? HELP!!
No, doing all science based subjects isn't bad. It's what most people will have.
Reply 2
I do FM & Chem and Chem is harder
Original post by Bwatszak
Thanks! but would it be boring if my a levels were the same as everyone else that may be doing my course at uni?

Not necessarily. Chemistry is more of a problem solving subject that history, it suits a maths applicant more. Just do whatever you enjoy more.
Reply 4
Original post by CJG21
Not necessarily. Chemistry is more of a problem solving subject that history, it suits a maths applicant more. Just do whatever you enjoy more.

Awesome, thanks for the help!
chemistry.
So, I want to do maths at uni, and I'm doing maths, further maths and physics A level, but I don't know if I should do history or chemistry as my 4th. I'm predicted A* in both for GCSE, but which is more harder at A level? Would doing all science based subjects for A level be bad? And are essays in history A level a lot more difficult? HELP!!

On the one hand, id say chemistry, as its more related to maths, which is what you want to do at uni. But on the other hand, its good to have 1 essay subject along with all maths/science based subjects.
If you are really stuck for choice- go on unis websites or email them to see which they prefer.
history

I personally think that Chemistry is by far the hardest science (including Maths) at A Level. However, I've also heard that History is really hard. I'd go with whichever you like more, to be honest since you've already got the three most relevant A Levels that you'll need.
Thanks my exact dilemma! On their website, they don't really specify which would be better, they just say that they're both facilitating subjects. Thank you!

Is there the option of doing 5 AS levels at the 6th form/college you are going to. It would be a lot of work, but if they gave you the option of doing chemistry AND history- so doing 5 subjects then you could do that- then if it was too much work or you realise you dont like one of them at a-level as much as you thought or whatever, then you could drop one of them.
Reply 10
Original post by Chlorophile
I personally think that Chemistry is by far the hardest science (including Maths) at A Level. However, I've also heard that History is really hard. I'd go with whichever you like more, to be honest since you've already got the three most relevant A Levels that you'll need.

Cool, I just don't know if I prefer history or chemistry!! I suppose history is A LOT of essays, so that might take up a lot of time...
Reply 11
Original post by Emma:-)
Is there the option of doing 5 AS levels at the 6th form/college you are going to. It would be a lot of work, but if they gave you the option of doing chemistry AND history- so doing 5 subjects then you could do that- then if it was too much work or you realise you dont like one of them at a-level as much as you thought or whatever, then you could drop one of them.

Yeah there is, but I also want to do an EPQ about something related to maths, so 4AS plus further maths plus EPQ would be torture!!
Cool, I just don't know if I prefer history or chemistry!! I suppose history is A LOT of essays, so that might take up a lot of time...

I don't know about History, but I can tell you that Chemistry changes completely when you get to AS. It's a lot less about the uses of chemistry (which is what GCSE seems to focus on) and a lot more actual chemistry, i.e. what actually goes on. There's also quite a lot of maths in AS Chemistry which a lot of people find really difficult, even those who are fine with AS Maths. However, it's also really fun in my view and a great challenge.

I would assume that History is more time consuming than Chemistry but it might also be a nice break from all of the sciences you're doing.

Quick Reply

Latest