The Student Room Group

Need help with psychology unit 1 as level!!

Im really struggling to do unit one psychology in as level, as we recently done a mock and i got a U, but I don't want to give up and drop the subject as I like unit two which we have moved onto and find i understand it more...
Is there any tips on how to revise for unit one???
Original post by wendy_heather
Im really struggling to do unit one psychology in as level, as we recently done a mock and i got a U, but I don't want to give up and drop the subject as I like unit two which we have moved onto and find i understand it more...

Research methods: It's honestly just swallowing the facts. There are only small questions for this one, and if you just regurgitate the methods and methodological stuff - quasi experiment, repeated measures, correlation and causation - then you'll be fine. For the three mark questions you sometimes have to answer them in a strange way; for that, you'll have to look at the mark schemes for past papers. I'd also recommend doing that for the paper you got a U in.

Gender: I can't help you with this yet (haven't started it) but I imagine you do the same thing as with the unit 2 topics.

Approaches: Again, swallow the facts. Here's a good structure for a 10 mark essay on approaches:

-Underlying assumption of the approach and description
-2 key features
-5 evaluative points (strengths and limitations)
(edited 10 years ago)
don't give up psychology, it gets easier and more interesting !! :smile:

i would say it's good to 'swallow the facts' but having a good understanding of what you're learning is most important.
so start off, if you're revising it can help to make little note cards or write up your notes and first learn the background of the theory or the research method then the evaluation side (try and remember at least 2 of both positive and negatives) and if you want the dates as i was always told it gets you more marks if you remember names and dates really well

but i have to say AS psychology is mostly remembering bits of info, relating them together and it is mostly good if you find a method to help you remember things, like remembering names in a weird/funny way it really helps !
When i did A Levels, i first got a D in my exam in psychology then tried note cards, and spent a lot of time revising and getting to know theories then got an A so you can do it, good luck x

I got full marks on the aqa spec so if you do that exam board and the same topics, feel free to ask!
Reply 4
Original post by lauraaaaa
I got full marks on the aqa spec so if you do that exam board and the same topics, feel free to ask!

I'm doing the aqa aswell, its the unit one of attachments, memory and research methods I'm struggling with :frown:
I'm doing the aqa aswell, its the unit one of attachments, memory and research methods I'm struggling with :frown:

Yea they were the topics I did :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by lauraaaaa
Yea they were the topics I did :smile:

what do you think are the best ways to revise? i struggle to concentrate just reading out of the book and taking notes...
I learnt it through learning the studies. I literally just wrote every study I needed to remember and learnt them by saying them outloud and trying to remember it once I had read it. Reading it aloud means your brain is processing both visually and through audio so you're more likely to remember it. I also did every past paper until I was getting full marks. Just keep at it because those topics are a lot more interesting and easier than unit 2, so revise hard for this one and do as well as you can so it takes some pressure off for the second one :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest