The Student Room Group

Muslim couple arrested in Sweden for 'smacking son when he refused to pray'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Alfissti
Ahh!! Actually this is quite a common issue in Singapore and Malaysia where utensils are considered "haram" if it had been in contact with anything "haram"

Some years back IKEA in Singapore wanted to convert one of their IKEA stores to be one that served "Halal" food only, there was lots of scepticism with regard to the utensils as many complained it was old and the dishwashers that are being used to clean it had once been used to wash unclean utensils, they spent a lot of money after that to "cleanse" the store.......meanwhile the rest of us stopped going there for lunch :smile:

Most likely the Swedish foster family didn't understand that aspect of it. However am told it had been remedied by a quick trip to IKEA :smile:

Fair enough! Strikes me as somewhat extreme though.
Original post by sjaan
The reason Somalia is in the state how it is, is because of the war going on their. Furthermore, my parents used to whip my siblings badly when they misbehaved. One of them is now a 2nd year medic at Kings College and the other one is studying Chemical Engineering at Imperial.

Statistical anomaly am afraid.
smack of peace.
violence begets violence

I do hope one day this will be the same in the UK
I'm very confused reading about people recollecting their childhood beatings with irons, wooden spoons, wires and belts with a "lol" and a smiley face. My mother hit me and I was terrified of her the whole time I was a child.

I wouldn't say my childhood was bad, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as "good tymes lolz" and we certainly never look back on it together and laugh. Very odd indeed.

Regarding the story, whether or not you agree with the law of the country you're visiting, there's no excuse for not abiding by it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending