The Student Room Group

England and Wales same sex marriage legal from 29th March (TSR's view)

Hey Guys;

Well, as most of us know, it will become legal in England and Wales for couples of the same sex to marry each other. I would like to know people's views on this before it is supposed to become law on 29th March 2014 and how you feel it will impact England and Wales society (if at all) in the future?
Scotland's final vote on the subject will be held on the 4th February and thus is still subject to change.

Do you believe this will help promote tolerance/equality or do you have other views on the subject or do you think this is a non-issue which didn't need addressing (or do you have other views)?

In short, this is a thread to see people's views on the subject before it becomes law. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

While we're at it, why don't we legalise inter-family marriage. Why's that not legal? Why can't I be married to two people at the same time!! No wait, I actually want to marry my cat and have sexual relations with it. Will that be legalised too?
Reply 2
Original post by yelladdnaeroom
While we're at it, why don't we legalise inter-family marriage. Why's that not legal? Why can't I be married to two people at the same time!! No wait, I actually want to marry my cat and have sexual relations with it. Will that be legalised too?

Well considering a cat cannot consent, you would then be raping it, so therefore no?
Original post by JG1233
Well considering a cat cannot consent, you would then be raping it, so therefore no?

haha cat rape! The point remains however, how far will we go until it gets to legalising beastiality? Same sex marriage is a very slippery slope...
Reply 4
About time! Other countries have beaten us too it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
haha cat rape! The point remains however, how far will we go until it gets to legalising beastiality? Same sex marriage is a very slippery slope...

1.) Using the slippery slope argument is the philosophical equivalent of going full retard.

2.) 'haha cat rape' - did you forget to take your special medicine?

3.) *bestiality
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6

We would never legalize bestiality..... like said a animal could never consent so you would just be abusing it by doing anything to it.

How is two gay men getting married in anyway similar to performing sexual acts on a animal?
Original post by JG1233

How do you know that animals cannot consent? Because it cannot consent verbally?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I think it's a good thing, plenty of other countries have already legalised it, think it should have been changed a few years ago
Of course its fine, only bigoted idiots oppose it tbh.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
How do you know that animals cannot consent? Because it cannot consent verbally?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So how should we tell an animal is consenting if it does not tell us it is?

Do we just guess an animal has consented and then it becomes OK then?
Original post by JG1233
We would never legalize bestiality..... like said a animal could never consent so you would just be abusing it by doing anything to it.

How is two gay men getting married in anyway similar to performing sexual acts on a animal?

You missed the point. If same sex marriage is about our rights to chose to do whatever we want, then what about someone wants to have sex with a family member or an animal or the right to have multiple wives or to masturbate in public or to eat their own sperm or to be a cannibal.

We can't blindly bend over (no pun intended) to these erosions in our moral values because if we do, then you will have no morals left after a while
Original post by Scienceisgood
Hey Guys;

Well, as most of us know, it will become legal in England and Wales for couples of the same sex to marry each other. I would like to know people's views on this before it is supposed to become law on 29th March 2014 and how you feel it will impact England and Wales society (if at all) in the future?
Scotland's final vote on the subject will be held on the 4th February and thus is still subject to change.

Do you believe this will help promote tolerance/equality or do you have other views on the subject or do you think this is a non-issue which didn't need addressing (or do you have other views)?

In short, this is a thread to see people's views on the subject before it becomes law. :smile:

I think it is a non issue. If it becomes a reality so what? It does not affect me, so I am indifferent about it. What happens between two consenting adults that does not cause harm is not a matter for the state. It should have no impact at all on anything apart from the two individuals involved.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'll ignore your insult. 30/40 years ago same-sex marriage would be regarded as an "atrocity".

Maybe in another 30/40 years the generation then will think incest is ok... what will you say then?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
I can't believe that there are still so many intolerant people in this generation. I would have hoped that such discriminatory views would be a rareity by now! Racism causes so much offense yet homophobia still seems shockingly common...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
You missed the point. If same sex marriage is about our rights to chose to do whatever we want, then what about someone wants to have sex with a family member or an animal or the right to have multiple wives or to masturbate in public or to eat their own sperm or to be a cannibal.

We can't blindly bend over (no pun intended) to these erosions in our moral values because if we do, then you will have no morals left after a while

Well the majority of the things you just named are in some way harmful.

Bestiality harms animals.
Cannibals harm humans.
Incest is proven to mean the baby will have a higher chance of having a deformity
Masturbating in public blatantly disturbs others, and probably making sex offences skyrocket

Gay marriage doesn't harm anybody. The only thing it means is that a child wont be brought into the world directly between the pair, but then plenty of heterosexual couples don't have children either and so that cannot be a reason against it.

The only thing you listed which has a point is being able to marry more than one person, because as long as everyone consents it doesn't appear to be harming anyone.
Original post by paradoxicalme
1.) Using the slippery slope argument is the philosophical equivalent of going full retard.

2.) 'haha cat rape' - did you forget to take your special medicine?

3.) *bestiality

oo touchy are we? why, is your brother a homosexual that has been the subject of homophobia? Or are you yourself the centre of unwanted attention?

I suspect there are some problems deep down, perhaps its better to sort yourself out before correcting spelling mistakes, which may seem as an adequate substitute to avoiding underlying issues, but really isn't :redface:
Original post by JG1233
Well the majority of the things you just named are in some way harmful.

Bestiality harms animals.
Cannibals harm humans.
Incest is proven to mean the baby will have a higher chance of having a deformity
Masturbating in public blatantly disturbs others, and probably making sex offences skyrocket

Gay marriage doesn't harm anybody. The only thing it means is that a child wont be brought into the world directly between the pair, but then plenty of heterosexual couples don't have children either and so that cannot be a reason against it.

The only thing you listed which has a point is being able to marry more than one person, because as long as everyone consents it doesn't appear to be harming anyone.

1) I'm sure putting a 6inch rod in a horse doesn't affect it too much. Maybe i'm wrong, do you have personal experience?
2) Cannibalism doesn't harm humans, the person youre eating may have died a natural death
3) A baby is still the end-result, homosexual sex doesn't produce anything except a sore bum (again, you may have exp)
4) As opposed to having 0% chance of having children, heterosexual chances are more or less guaranteed
5) So in your Britain, polygamy would be legal. Lets see how well that goes down...
Finally. I see no reason why people shouldn't be allowed to marry if they love each other. Loving someone of the same gender isn't going to cause the apocalypse. My friends should all be allowed to marry if they want.
Reply 19
As long as they aren't forcing religious institutions into marrying two people of the same gender.. :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending