The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA Further Maths Level 2

Hello, I am looking into doing this qualification in June 2014. I've been entered into the examination but I can drop it whenever I feel like. The head of maths in my school thought it might be too late to start self studying for it now. However, I got a really good mark of 98% in my GCSE mock exam, obviously A*, due to a silly mistake. My maths teacher thinks I am definitely good enough for the course. While other maths teachers have tried to advise me out of it, because it's not going to do any good for university? I want to do further maths A-level and maths is definitely my strongest subject that I also enjoy. Also, does this qualification get me any UCAS points or anything? Is it worth doing the further maths qualification or should i not bother?
Reply 1
You should definitely do it. Further maths at GCSE will help you prepare for A Level Maths as normal GCSE Maths doesn't even scratch the surface. If you achieve an A/A* it will be seen when you apply to a university and most likely help with your application, so I strongly advise you to do the course.
Reply 2
Hi there,

I did a similar qualification to you while I was doing my GCSEs too. All I am going to say is, do it!

Why?
It will definitely give you an advantage at sixth form/college when you're doing your AS exams, it really helps!

And all I could suggest is to just try your best.
To self-teach, get a copy of the specification and make a list of the topics you need to cover.
Then go over to ExamSolutions (on YouTube) and he'll cover the topic for you within 15 minutes!

I'm telling you, it's worth doing a qualification like this in year 11.

If you need any help, you can ask me! - I'm doing AS Mathematics this June!
I am doing it now. Sadly, it doesn't get you any UCAS points despite topics arising from A2 maths in it. I have to say it is the hardest thing I have done at school yet and at our school we started it in year 10. I would go for it if you think that you can still get an A* in GCSE maths as this is the most recognised maths qualification. I doubt I would've got an A* in maths if I was completing this at the same time as my GCSE. But, even if you get a U in Further Maths at least you have touched upon many A Level topics and it will make it much easier.
Reply 4
I'm doing Level 2 Further maths at the moment and it's really good at preparing you for A level maths. I suggest you sit the paper in June since you wish to continue studying maths at a higher level anyway.
Reply 5
I'm doing the same qualification at the same time and I only started a few weeks ago! I did my maths GCSE in November and this is the next thing, it's not bad at all like most of it is just building on GCSE maths stuff anyway:smile:
Reply 6
Thank you everyone for your replies. I have decided to do the level 2 maths exam in june this year. I have been entered for this exam and this is a decision made, thanks to your help.
Original post by ClariceE
Hello, I am looking into doing this qualification in June 2014. I've been entered into the examination but I can drop it whenever I feel like. The head of maths in my school thought it might be too late to start self studying for it now. However, I got a really good mark of 98% in my GCSE mock exam, obviously A*, due to a silly mistake. My maths teacher thinks I am definitely good enough for the course. While other maths teachers have tried to advise me out of it, because it's not going to do any good for university? I want to do further maths A-level and maths is definitely my strongest subject that I also enjoy. Also, does this qualification get me any UCAS points or anything? Is it worth doing the further maths qualification or should i not bother?

You've definitely got enough time to do it. Further Maths has very little extra content to learn, the main difference is the questions are a lot more difficult than the GCSE.

However, your teachers are right about it not giving you any advantage when applying to University. Whilst the qualification is more difficult than GCSE, it is nowhere near as difficult as A Level Maths so it's pretty much invalidated once you've got your AS Maths grade. On the other hand, you could argue that it provides a good foundation for AS Maths.

Personally, I think it'd be more rewarding for you to go through the AS core modules (C1 and C2), even if it doesn't mean you'll get an extra qualification.
Reply 8
On the website of aqa it says that this qualification DoEs count towards your 5 A*-C grade gcses needed for sixth form and I read somewhere else that level 2 qualification DO count towards ucas points whilst level 3 do not so I'm a bit confused. I'll speak with my maths teacher after half term because I was hoping that this would replace a gcse which I want to drop >.<
Reply 9
Hey, I am also doing this qualification and need your advice.

How was the 2014 Paper?
What topics came up in it?
Grade boundaries????
What topics are best to revise.

Thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by RKM21
Hey, I am also doing this qualification and need your advice.

How was the 2014 Paper?
What topics came up in it?
Grade boundaries????
What topics are best to revise.

Thanks!

Yea I did the 2014 paper. Big questions on the non-calc included trig. Identities, circles, calculus. On the calc. There were simultaneous equations linked with circle theorems, more calculus, rearranging formulae.
The papers were okay, button obviously the grade boundaries are always very low.
Revise everything! Just do past papers, spend time looking at mark schemes, if you don't understand why something is wrong look in you book :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ClariceE

I did this last year and I found it really fun and challenging, so much more so than normal maths which I had got bored with.

As many people have already said, it really helps with AS maths as it covers quite a lot of the core for it.

And the teachers saying it won't help for uni.. What?! Get a good grade in this and you will stand out, and as previously mentioned it will help with AS maths too (which helps with getting into a good uni etc..).

I basically self taught this in less than a year (asking some teachers for help with concepts) and got A^, so you have enough tine if you're prepared to put the effort in. If you need any help just ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Thanks bro,

U were epic. Is there anything on Matricies, Functions, Differentiation or sequences.

Thanks for being a great help,,

RKM
Trust me, DO IT!

It substantially bridges the gap between GCSE and A Level, so when you come to do A Level, you'll find it far easier!

Skips

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest