The Student Room Group

UKIP leader Nigel Farage wants to reinstate civilian's gun rights at home.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Clip
Don't be silly. You know exactly what I mean. If there are no firearms generally within living memory, there's no responsibility or culture of them.

The culture that produced this shift is also gone, however. One of the fears influencing the government to remove self-defence as a justification for firearms ownership (and to repossess the millions of military weapons issued to the Home Guard, most of which were stored and used without much oversight) was the possibility of a communist revolution.
Original post by SMEGGGY
It'll be like the US. Daily shooting in Schools, Colleges, Universities.

Crazy crazy idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because we NEVER get shooting here anyway *rolleyes*

Dunblane?

Derrick Bird?

Raoul Moat?

Considering how much bigger the US is compared to the UK, I'd say we have rather a lot...
Original post by Monkey.Man
when the guns were pretty much banned (except for certain cases, e.g. farmers, etc) in 1997 gun crime was still increasing for roughly a decade after it, so how can we conclude that this decrease in guncrime is a result of the ban when there was no decrease in crime directly after the ban came into place to suggest such an effect? all crime in general in the uk is falling during this time period, that's probably the reason why guncrime is falling - it's not falling in isolation due to some specific reason. so gun crime relatively is the same as all other crime which is based on things not being banned. it's most likely not falling because of a ban, or else we'd have seen the effect of that earlier on; effects of gun bans most likely don't take effect with a decade of delay

I just mean that people rebel, and introducing a ban is obviously not going to stop supply (similar to drugs being illegal.)

I didn't mean that the ban caused a decrease in 2007, I just meant that if gun crime is reducing, I don't think now is the time to increase demand for people who don't deserve a firearm
Original post by GeogBerry
I just mean that people rebel, and introducing a ban is obviously not going to stop supply (similar to drugs being illegal.)

I didn't mean that the ban caused a decrease in 2007, I just meant that if gun crime is reducing, I don't think now is the time to increase demand for people who don't deserve a firearm

legalising guns doesn't mean we can't have background checks
legalising guns doesn't mean we can't have background checks

I know, but I feel like if it were to be legalised, it would be very similar to the procedure put in place in the USA (which is obviously not the best)
Original post by GeogBerry
I know, but I feel like if it were to be legalised, it would be very similar to the procedure put in place in the USA (which is obviously not the best)

or we could have the system in switzerland?
or we could have the system in switzerland?

That would be a good idea, respect for guns is definitely needed.
Crudely, right wing people would like guns legalised for protective purposes and left wing people want marijuana legalised. Shows the varying priorities.
Original post by Oschene23
Crudely, right wing people would like guns legalised for protective purposes and left wing people want marijuana legalised. Shows the varying priorities.

agree - people need to consistency in their principles - both of them ought to be legal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending