The Student Room Group

How to get a toned stomach?

I've had another thread on here and took people's advice and researched what I want to achieve. Now I know I don't want a six pack but I want a more defined stomach area. I'm going to start running too to build up my stamina and my endurance. But I just need help with the "toning" up part. Ideally I want my stomach flatter but wouldn't mind working on my legs & arms too. :smile: Only reply if you think you can help. Being serious about this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sophieleannexo
I've had another thread on here and took people's advice and researched what I want to achieve. Now I know I don't want a six pack but I want a more defined stomach area. I'm going to start running too to build up my stamina and my endurance. But I just need help with the "toning" up part. Ideally I want my stomach flatter but wouldn't mind working on my legs & arms too. :smile: Only reply if you think you can help. Being serious about this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would just do these - and don't worry they won't make you instantaneously hulk out, also read the tip at the bottom.. not sure how useful it is since I'm not in a position to know, but you might want to consider it
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Architecture-er
I would just do these - and don't worry they won't make you instantaneously hulk out, also read the tip at the bottom.. not sure how useful it is since I'm not in a position to know, but you might want to consider it

Thank you. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Do lots and lots of sit-ups. Nah I'm kidding. Eat less calories than your body burns on average each day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just watch your calorie intake, as the user above has said. There is no point in going for a run and then just consuming the extra calories that you'd originally burned off when you get back if looking for a flat stomach.
Original post by Architecture-er

Crunches are not what you should be doing really. The only way to get a flat stomach/abs is to lose all the fat from it. Of course, fat loss can't be targetted in one area, so the fat loss has to be generally all-over. You can get a six pack having never done a crunch or situp in your life, those exercises are there to create muscle density and definition, to make the abs pop out more when bodyfat is very low and the abs are already exposed. If you build up these muscles while they still have fat on them, your stomach will just look bigger. If you're planning to shed the fat soon though, there's nothing wrong with starting some ab work now if you plan on doing so, but for a general flat stomach there isn't any need.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Autistic Merit
Just watch your calorie intake, as the user above has said. There is no point in going for a run and then just consuming the extra calories that you'd originally burned off when you get back if looking for a flat stomach.

So lose weight?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Diet is the most important factor. If people lose fat it flattens their stomach. Try to limit your intake of unhealthy foods (added sugar, cream, fried or processed stuff, etc). I'd also keep up with the jogging. It's tough at first, but once you build up your fitness it can be really enjoyable and relaxing.

If you want to build a bit of muscle as well as cutting down on fat, try planks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vgG_Zemg88) and leg raises (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB2oyawG9KI). They might be a bit tough but there are easier variations. You can plank on your knees if necessary, and go for more or less time. With leg raises you can vary the height and number of repetitions depending what you're capable of. As long as you tax your body it'll help. Good luck!
Original post by WoodyMKC
Crunches are not what you should be doing really. The only way to get a flat stomach/abs is to lose all the fat from it. Of course, fat loss can't be targetted in one area, so the fat loss has to be generally all-over. You can get a six pack having never done a crunch or situp in your life, those exercises are there to create muscle density and definition, to make the abs pop out more when bodyfat is very low and the abs are already exposed. If you build up these muscles while they still have fat on them, your stomach will just look bigger. If you're planning to shed the fat soon though, there's nothing wrong with starting some ab work now if you plan on doing so, but for a general flat stomach there isn't any need.

So how do I get a flat stomach in simple terms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by member841230
Diet is the most important factor. If people lose fat it flattens their stomach. Try to limit your intake of unhealthy foods (added sugar, cream, fried or processed stuff, etc). I'd also keep up with the jogging. It's tough at first, but once you build up your fitness it can be really enjoyable and relaxing.

If you want to build a bit of muscle as well as cutting down on fat, try planks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vgG_Zemg88) and leg raises (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB2oyawG9KI). They might be a bit tough but there are easier variations. You can plank on your knees if necessary, and go for more or less time. With leg raises you can vary the height and number of repetitions depending what you're capable of. As long as you tax your body it'll help. Good luck!

Thank you :smile: so I basically need to lose weight then gain muscle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would recommend doing an exercise program like insanity, you can find the videos online, it is mainly based on your core but also helps to strengthen your biceps/triceps as well as your quadriceps and hamstrings.
you could also simply turn to healthier alternatives...on YT, fullyrawkristina is a vegan and is REALLY good shape. Drinking lots of water helps but doing exercise and then eating junk is just pointless and contradicts the whole point of getting a toned stomach. you should check her out! :biggrin:
Thank you :smile: so I basically need to lose weight then gain muscle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem. Yeah, losing weight is the most important thing if you want to flatten your stomach. Gaining muscle is basically an optional extra. It's no great loss if you don't, but would be worth doing if the mood strikes.
Reply 13
First off, "tone" in the sense you are using it is a very imprecise term. "Toning" is a combination of losing body fat and adding muscle. You sounds like someone who is in the "skinnyfat" region I think :beard: So, where you go from here is a matter of personal preference. :biggrin: You can either diet and do quite a bit of HIIT to lose a few pounds or you can switch to eating at a slight surplus to add muscle mass first. Either way,you should add resistance training to either increase muscle mass if you decide to gain weight or preserve what muscle mass you have if you decide to lose weight.

This thread has really good info. Look into fitness forums too :h:
I am so confused! People are saying different things!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So how do I get a flat stomach in simple terms?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like some of the others have said, it's just losing weight, which basically involves calorie counting and exercise. The amount of different replies might be confusing... but note that all the guys saying you just need to lose weight are regulars on the fitness forum and heavily involved in training and diet themselves :wink:
I don't want a six pack but I want a more defined stomach area.

I wouldn't bother with ab exercises then.

Just maintain a calorie deficit.
I am so confused! People are saying different things!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had a look at your other thread, which might be the source of your confusion. You're asking different questions in each thread. Over there you were asking about fitness broadly, and people were (rightly) recommending some resistance training as beneficial for your overall fitness. Conversely here you're only asking about your stomach, and people are (again rightly) responding that losing weight would be most beneficial and lifting weights will not flatten your stomach much.

I hope that makes sense. If general health is your goal you can't go wrong with a balanced diet and an exercise program that involves both some cardio (jogging/cycling/swimming) and some resistance training (like squats, pushups or weights). If you only want a flatter stomach losing weight would suffice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by WoodyMKC

Yes but 'lose weight' is so obvious, I assumed she already knew how food worked

It was the 'toned' bit that implied she wanted a lithe body, not just a thin one
Original post by member841230
I had a look at your other thread, which might be the source of your confusion. You're asking different questions in each thread. Over there you were asking about fitness broadly, and people were (rightly) recommending some resistance training as beneficial for your overall fitness. Conversely here you're only asking about your stomach, and people are (again rightly) responding that losing weight would be most beneficial and lifting weights will not flatten your stomach much.

I hope that makes sense. If general health is your goal you can't go wrong with a balanced diet and an exercise program that involves both some cardio (jogging/cycling/swimming) and some resistance training (like squats, pushups or weights). If you only want a flatter stomach losing weight would suffice.

Okay, so do cardio & resistance & lose "more" weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest