The Student Room Group

Anybody got into 'top uni's' as a mature student?

Just to clarify I have contacted the universities, but I forgot to tell them about my rather average GCSE results, I don't want to be a pest and contact them again because it is still quite a long way off. Hence why I'm asking the question.

I hope this is the right place!

I wondered if any of you had got into Durham, Imperial/UCL or Oxbridge as mature students? I will hopefully achieve A*AA/B in human biology, chemistry and physics in 2015 and I want to apply to these universities in October to read Biology. Does anyone have any personal experience or advice for achieving this goal? I have a little industry experience, but not really enough to set me apart from any other applicant.

Just to reiterate, I have contacted all of the above and I'm waiting for replies, but the general consensus on the 'normal' forums (i.e. forums for general entry, not mature student entry) is that you need a million A*'s at GCSE to even be considered, is this true?
Reply 1
Original post by SuperCat007
the general consensus on the 'normal' forums (i.e. forums for general entry, not mature student entry) is that you need a million A*'s at GCSE to even be considered, is this true?

That's not true as a blanket statement, but you do need to check the individual uni's entry requirements. These will probably be flexible for mature students, but they may well have baseline GSCE requirements which they apply to you.

For example, Durham's Biology entry requirements include "good grades in dual science and mathematics GCSE or their equivalents". You might either find this a stumbling block in your situation, or the uni may choose to waive those requirements for a mature applicant.
https://www.dur.ac.uk/biosciences/undergraduate/requirements/

Most universities will require a minimum of Grade C GCSE (or equivalent) English and Maths.

The only way to be sure would be to contact each uni with your GCSE results, tell them your target courses, and ask whether you will still be eligible to apply.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
That's not true as a blanket statement, but you do need to check the individual uni's entry requirements. These will probably be flexible for mature students, but they may well have baseline GSCE requirements which they apply to you.

For example, Durham's Biology entry requirements include "good grades in dual science and mathematics GCSE or their equivalents". You might either find this a stumbling block in your situation, or the uni may choose to waive those requirements for a mature applicant.
https://www.dur.ac.uk/biosciences/undergraduate/requirements/

Most universities will require a minimum of Grade C GCSE (or equivalent) English and Maths.

The only way to be sure would be to contact each uni with your GCSE results, tell them your target courses, and ask whether you will still be eligible to apply.

Thanks, yeah I do meet their requirements. By average GCSE's I mean I don't have reams and reams of A*'s like so many people seem to claim you need. Like I said I also have contacted them and am waiting for replies. I just wondered what the conditions of other people's offers were, if they got them.
What were your GCSE results?
As you're a mature student, your GCSEs likely matter a little less than usual, but they'll still want a certain level. What grades did you get in the sciences at GCSE?

As an aside, which Oxbridge university are you thinking of? That would help me give you more info. :smile:
Reply 5
I got AA in double science and a B in maths, also AA in English language and literature in 2006.

I'm not sure about Oxford or Cambridge. I prefer Cambridge, but I think I might prefer to study straight biology rather than Nat Sci- hence Oxbridge...

Thank you for the replies.
(edited 10 years ago)
Universities are more concerned with what you have done academically in the last few years. So the emphasis will be on your most recent results.

I applied and recieved offers from Newcastle, Durham, Nottingham and York for Biology on the basis of an access course. I had okayish GCSEs and good A levels (but not in science subjects) from 10 years ago. So you certainly do stand a chance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Just to clarify I have contacted the universities, but I forgot to tell them about my rather average GCSE results, I don't want to be a pest and contact them again because it is still quite a long way off. Hence why I'm asking the question.

I wondered if any of you had got into Durham, Imperial/UCL or Oxbridge as mature students? I will hopefully achieve A*AA/B in human biology, chemistry and physics in 2015 and I want to apply to these universities in October to read Biology. Does anyone have any personal experience or advice for achieving this goal? I have a little industry experience, but not really enough to set me apart from any other applicant.

Just to reiterate, I have contacted all of the above and I'm waiting for replies, but the general consensus on the 'normal' forums (i.e. forums for general entry, not mature student entry) is that you need a million A*'s at GCSE to even be considered, is this true?

Well, I have distinctly average GCSE's, 1A, 5B's,2C's and a D (B's in maths English, biology) and I have offers from Cambridge and Royal Holloway so far..... (Oh and I have no A- Levels, and am currently doing a Access.

this being said I joined Mensa at the age of 13 so maybe that reflected that I didn't reflect my potential???
Reply 8
Thank you very much for all of your replies. I will ignore some of the other threads about these unis then and wait for replies. I appreciate posts from those who have got places. Although I'm not doing Access, it still helps to hear people's experiences.
Reply 9
I'm 25 and studying Biomedical Science at Warwick after completing an Access to Science course last year.

What you might find useful is going to one of the Cambridge Mature students summer schools... I sadly missed it but it would help you as your application deadline is 15/10/14 so a lot sooner than everyone else. The people I know that did go found it insightful!
Reply 11
Cambridge have colleges exclusively for mature students (idk about Oxford). So yes.
Reply 12
Original post by Bright_blonde
What you might find useful is going to one of the Cambridge Mature students summer schools... I sadly missed it but it would help you as your application deadline is 15/10/14 so a lot sooner than everyone else. The people I know that did go found it insightful!

Thank you, I plan to. Applications open in March so I will be applying and hopefully attending in the summer.
Reply 13
I've got an offer from Exeter, I have 2A 2B 6C and 1D at GCSE, a national award (pass) in Animal Management and I'm doing an Access to HE diploma this year. It's still possible to apply for really good Uni's as a mature student, don't be put off for trying for them.

I just got an acceptance from UCL and have LSE, KINGS and Edinburgh pending. I am graduating from a US university and have a 3.55 gpa out of 4.00. Sorry, don't know what that translates to in UK terms. The best advice I can give you is to just go for it. You have nothing to lose, and half the time I think admissions welcomes mature students that can contribute to the course and discussions.
Reply 15
I wouldn't worry at all. My GCSES were truly terrible - I only sat 2 due to family issues - and so far I've received an unconditional offer from Cambridge (HSPS), St. Andrews and Manchester (i'm still waiting on Durham and Edinburgh). For mature students, Cambridge place far less emphasis on GCSE results as they're not a true indicator of potential at University. I was very concerned about applying (I have a more unconventional background than most mature applicants), however, the Admissions Tutors were great and were far more interested in recent level 3 study and grades and my employment history. If you're hitting those distinction grades, and you're references and personal statement are good, you'll get an interview. Then it's over to you. I hope that helps and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending