The Student Room Group

Mature student Photography Portfolio HELP!!

Hi im a mature student (24) applying to uni for photography and visual communications courses. i have already recieved a response from coventry asking for an interview and to bring a portfolio. here is what they ask for

Preparation.
Choose two images that you feel most reflect your work and be ready to share them with the group. Remember we want to hear things like what motivates and inspires you, what plans you have for your three years of study and why you’ve decided our course is the right one for you.
In your portfolio
We want to see a combination of both coursework and personal projects that describe someone committed to exploring and expressing how they perceive the world around them.
So, you should bring with you: A selection of well presented still photographs and moving image where appropriate Research/development journals/sketchbooks/blogs Interactive/Website work (Mac compatible)

Now the first bit i have no problem with picking two images. and i have enough images to make a portfolio, i just dont kno how to lay them out. but when they ask for coursework and development journals etc im very stuck, 6 years ago i studied an art btec but dont have any work from the photography module of my course. how will i be able to give them coursework when i have none?? i had a look at different photography projects i can do like 100 strangers, 52 photowalks, A-z etc but will this be suitable? i have until march 29th as this is my interview day. any thing you can say or post will be vitally helpful Thankyou
Reply 1
My best advise is to contact the uni (the course leader if you can find their name and direct contact details) and ask. They're considering your application and they already know that you're a mature student, some time away from previous study. They'll already know that you can't produce the type of work that a school leaver could, so if you prompt them, they'll come up with an alternative suitable for your background and circumstances.

It would be much better to ask than to guess - or accept our guesswork.
Reply 2
Thankyou so much for your reply. On the initial email they sent me it didnt have any contact details for help with this jus with booking my interview. Will double check uni page for the contacts for those in charge of admissions. Thanx again
Reply 3
Hi

I'm in a similar position to you (but somewhat older!) it seems at sixth from/btec courses students prepare workbooks along the way to reflect what styles/images they are inspired by, I went along and had a one to one chat with a tutor and was shown one of these development journals from a student that was accepted onto the course and it was basically almost like an inspiration diary.

It included images from magazines and notes on what the student liked/didn't like about an image (this was hand written) and images produced from being inspired by these various images (just small copies) I think they just want to see that you research and explore photography and how that influences you and gives you ideas to experiment with.

I bought an a4 sketch bad with nice thick paper and a pritstick and for the last few weeks I've been working on it - I won't have two years worth of research, but I'm guessing they'll understand that's because I'm a mature student and haven't been in an environment where recording thoughts in this way is part of the every day learning process.

Good luck with your interview. Mine is in a couple of weeks. Feeling very nervous! :smile:
Reply 4
Hi guys just thought id let you know i got into university i made a portfolio of my photographs more like a photo book with a distinct flow to it. I also made a separate folder similar to the inspiration diary mentioned in above posts, it was nothing too fancy but showed some of my past work as a graphic designer and most of my inspiration for my photography including editing methods. Wolverhampton uni were extremely picky about this but i felt i was unfairly treated as the website stated as a mature student i could bring a selection of images to discuss and because of this i withdrew my application and complained. Birmingham city university offered me an unconditional offer, so it all went well anyway. Thanks for all your help. I start september :biggrin: Visual communications photography!
Reply 5
Original post by KerryMV
Hi

I'm in a similar position to you (but somewhat older!) it seems at sixth from/btec courses students prepare workbooks along the way to reflect what styles/images they are inspired by, I went along and had a one to one chat with a tutor and was shown one of these development journals from a student that was accepted onto the course and it was basically almost like an inspiration diary.

It included images from magazines and notes on what the student liked/didn't like about an image (this was hand written) and images produced from being inspired by these various images (just small copies) I think they just want to see that you research and explore photography and how that influences you and gives you ideas to experiment with.

I bought an a4 sketch bad with nice thick paper and a pritstick and for the last few weeks I've been working on it - I won't have two years worth of research, but I'm guessing they'll understand that's because I'm a mature student and haven't been in an environment where recording thoughts in this way is part of the every day learning process.

Good luck with your interview. Mine is in a couple of weeks. Feeling very nervous! :smile:

How did your interview go did you get into your course? would love to know. and thank you so much for your help!
Reply 6
Hi Shivy

Firstly, congratulations on your unconditional. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Wolverhampton Uni though. Chatting to some of interview attendees on my interview day I was quite horrified by some of their tales of previous interviews.Perhaps it's the 'mature' part of me that feels there is a right and wrong way to treat people..... but good for you for making a stand.

I received an unconditional offer too :smile: (NUA) I wasn't at all confident when I came out of my interview though, despite the tutor being really nice I was asked what seemed like so many questions (I was the last one in and all the other students had come out saying that they hadn't really been asked many questions!) I found the process a little daunting but that was my nerves.

Everyone was really nice and friendly and we even had a couple of year Two photography students sitting with us to chat/answer questions whilst we waited to be called in. Which was really useful for those who'd be coming to Norwich from other parts of the country.

So I too am starting student life in Sept on the BA Photography course!!!

Reply 7
Original post by KerryMV
Hi Shivy

Firstly, congratulations on your unconditional. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Wolverhampton Uni though. Chatting to some of interview attendees on my interview day I was quite horrified by some of their tales of previous interviews.Perhaps it's the 'mature' part of me that feels there is a right and wrong way to treat people..... but good for you for making a stand.

I received an unconditional offer too :smile: (NUA) I wasn't at all confident when I came out of my interview though, despite the tutor being really nice I was asked what seemed like so many questions (I was the last one in and all the other students had come out saying that they hadn't really been asked many questions!) I found the process a little daunting but that was my nerves.

Everyone was really nice and friendly and we even had a couple of year Two photography students sitting with us to chat/answer questions whilst we waited to be called in. Which was really useful for those who'd be coming to Norwich from other parts of the country.

So I too am starting student life in Sept on the BA Photography course!!!

Lovely to hear that! I didn't get asked any questions to do with my work at bcd interview and was extremely nervous because of it i kept showing him stuff trying to steer the conversation lol but i think when he looked at it before he'd already made up his mind.

are you on other social media such as flickr or have a website id love to see some of your photography!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending