The Student Room Group

To all A grade AS/A2 students, how did you revise and when did you start?

Basically what the question says. I just need some good tips on revision and also when did you guys begin revision in order to cover all 3/4+ AS/A levels? (:

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

depends which subject you're doing.
for most subjects, you just have to regurgitate notes/text, so whichever method jams text in easiest for you is your revision technique.

if you're picking maths, there are 2 stages.
1) getting your head round the concept.
2) doing enough questions so that you can do them in your sleep
Its just constant work/revising days lessons over time. I got AAAB at AS through that, didn't start going "hardcore" until the Christmas holidays (I had Jan modules) and then maybe March/April (and two days before Sociology...hence the B :tongue:). Now planning on doing the same, except doing more work leading up to it, if that makes sense
oh and to answer your timing question, it's whenever you feel like you still have time, but not pushing it by too much.
I haven't done my A2s yet but I got AAAA at AS. I started revising during exam leave. I had about a week before my first exam. I read the textbook and re-read my notes. I then did a bit of last-minute revision before the exam itself.

My advice for revision? You don't need to do very much, but you have to make sure you have the grasp of the topics at hand as you do them in class. Also, familiarise yourself with exam technique and do some past papers. Revision should just be a refresher.

Best of luck. The jump from GCSE to AS isn't as huge as people like to make out.
Reply 6
I got AAAAB at AS, and I don't think I revised particularly early (apart from the one January exam I obviously started revising for that early) In my college we don't have exam leave in AS so I made the most of spare free periods revising in College and of course at home at weekends.

Revising over things I don't understand properly helps me, as well as asking people.
Repetition works well for me also, so I'll often re-go over things.
Writing things in little notebooks and reading them on the way to College on the bus (I did this before my English exam and it seemed to work well)
Highlighting key points
Past papers
Reading around the topic

I'm also starting to go to revision sessions for the upcoming A2 exams and I'm re-sitting the B. I didn't go to many in AS but I defiantly am this year - every little helps.
I got AAABD at AS level and I revised:

A - From about 2 months before the exam for the paper I got a B in and about a week before for the paper I got 100% in
A - In all honesty? The night before the exam
A - Coursework based, no exam
B - About three months before, was my best subject all year but I got unlucky with one of the questions in the second exam and it knocked my grade right down
D - Well. Extenuating circumstances related to teaching, struggled all year and managed to get a B in the first unit with about 6 weeks of solid revision, only had time for 3 weeks of revision for the other two and we didn't even finish the course (!!!) before lessons so I doubt any more revision would have helped lol.

For me, I found it wasn't HOW MUCH revision I did but the quality of it and more importantly than everything (except for my D grade subject) my mood and state of mind as I walked into that exam hall :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by tengentoppa
I haven't done my A2s yet but I got AAAA at AS. I started revising during exam leave. I had about a week before my first exam. I read the textbook and re-read my notes. I then did a bit of last-minute revision before the exam itself.

My advice for revision? You don't need to do very much, but you have to make sure you have the grasp of the topics at hand as you do them in class. Also, familiarise yourself with exam technique and do some past papers. Revision should just be a refresher.

Best of luck. The jump from GCSE to AS isn't as huge as people like to make out.

How do you memorise everything

My notes are not sticking in:frown:
Reply 9
If you understand the topic your notes will make more sense... Whatever you're studying there must be loads of information on the web especially on YouTube.. Getting things visualised makes it easier. Especially if you're doing biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
-Know your subject.
-study smart, not hard.
-Take concentration enhancing drugs during the academic year e.g. Adderall.
Original post by xxvine
How do you memorise everything

My notes are not sticking in:frown:

Learn it as you go.
Reply 12
AAAA at AS
I started revising in September and kept it constant throughout the year

For Maths subjects:
- Do loads of questions
- Past papers, solomon papers etc

For Economics/History
- Make a full set of detailed notes as you go along (as opposed to just class work)
- look at examiner reports, markschemes etc to see what examiners are looking for
- do loads of essays
- loads of past papers
- ask for feedback on how to improve
Original post by Robbie242
AAAA at AS
I started revising in September and kept it constant throughout the year

For Maths subjects:
- Do loads of questions
- Past papers, solomon papers etc

For Economics/History
- Make a full set of detailed notes as you go along (as opposed to just class work)
- look at examiner reports, markschemes etc to see what examiners are looking for
- do loads of essays
- loads of past papers
- ask for feedback on how to improve

September? You furry forklifter, you'll be burned out by the time you go to university.
Reply 14
Original post by John Stuart Mill
September? You furry forklifter, you'll be burned out by the time you go to university.

its only like 2hours a day
and I never get burned out from maths, economics on the other hand...
Original post by Venomilys
-Know your subject.
-study smart, not hard.
-Take concentration enhancing drugs during the academic year e.g. Adderall.

do you have a prescription, or get them via other means.
its only like 2hours a day
and I never get burned out from maths, economics on the other hand...

That's so ott, I hope you study beyond your specification for the amount of time you do.
Reply 17
Original post by John Stuart Mill
That's so ott, I hope you study beyond your specification for the amount of time you do.

I finished C3 and C4 in the summer so now going to maths lessons is basically pointless, I never get homework (apart from econ) so I get more time for revision. I do STEP which goes beyond A-level and I also research a few little interesting bits of maths here and there
I finished C3 and C4 in the summer so now going to maths lessons is basically pointless, I never get homework (apart from econ) so I get more time for revision. I do STEP which goes beyond A-level and I also research a few little interesting bits of maths here and there

are you familiar with http://www.encyclopediaofmath.org/index.php/Main_Page
Reply 19

nope cheers for the link, I'll bookmark it

Quick Reply

Latest