The Student Room Group

please help me out- comparing romeo and juliet to poems

question: explore how the two poets and Shakespeare represent love. the two poems are quickdraw and to his coy mistress. I have done two paragraphs so far. can someone please give me some advice because I have a controlled assessment soon.Paragraph one
In Romeo and Juliet, act one scene five, Shakespeare effectively uses repetition to emphasis their wrong doing and how going against patriarchal society is wrong: “sin”. In Elizabethan times the Elizabethans would have believed that the daughter’s father should arrange marriage and the woman would have to act coy so the manhad to woo her. Romeo and Juliet continue their ‘sins’ even though they know what they’re doing is wrong. On the other hand, in Quickdraw, the narrator realises what she has done is wrong and begs for forgiveness: “down on my knees”. She fixes what she has done because at the end, her relationship stabilises which the line length in the last stanza suggests. In the first three stanzas the line length is irregular but in the last stanza they become more equal. The relationship in Quick draw goes back to normal but Romeo’s andJuliet’s turn into problems leading to both of their deaths. This could suggestthat acting on lustful impulse is a bad idea and only causes problems with loveand relationships.
Paragraph two
Also, in to his coy mistress, Andrew Marvell represents the narrator as a lustful character who wants to have sex with his ‘mistress’. The narrator highlights on her physical appearance which he seems most attracted too like “eyes” and “breasts”but mentions the “heart” last which is symbolic for love. This could suggest he does not want a romantic relationship emphasising everything is built on lust and sex. Similarly to Rosaline from Romeo and Juliet, the mistress is coy and has nothing to do with the narrator so they both end up alive at the end of thepoem and play. However Juliet from Romeo and Juliet acts the opposite to this thereforegiving in to lustful impulses which subsequently causes her death. In carol AnnDuffy’s quick draw the narrator gives in to sexual desires causing her to cheaton her lover which only causes arguments and problems in her life. The two poems and play reinforce the idea that lustful relationships lead to problems in thelives of those involved.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending