The Student Room Group

PhD in Wind Energy Systems- Is a BEng enough for entry? Do I have a chance?

Hi I'm currently in my 4th year of electrical and electronic engineering at Strathclyde University.
I'm desperate to get into the Wind Energy CDT at Strathclyde since it's something I feel very passionate about and really want to do.
I applied at the start of October the day the application system opened.
I'm not sure how likely it is I will get offered a place.
The minimum requirement is a 2.1 in a physical science degree.
I'm aiming for a 1 but I don't think I'll get it (I just aim high and worl my ass off and see where I end up). A 2.1 seems more likely and I'd be happy with that.
My 4th year project is a research project on condition monitoring through probabilistic modelling and 3 of my 4 classes this year feature wind turbines.
However looking at the current students (only 10 are accepted each year) that have previously been admitted, a lot of them have masters degrees. A lot of them also come from backgrounds other than electrical engineering and I feel that the centre may think "we have plenty of electrical engineers, lets get some more civil engineers and mathematicians".
I'm also worried that my age and lack of experience would be a disadvantage. I left school a year early to go to uni so I'll only be 20 when I start in the CDT while many of the students worked for a year or 2 in industry.

I did get offered a place on an MSc in Wind Energy Systems (funded) provided I obtain a 2.1 however this would purely be a route into the PhD and it would take a year longer which I don't really want to do although I would be willing to if I had no other option. Although it is funded, only the tution fees and a small bursary are provided whereas the PhD provides a generous stipend which would help a lot.

I have also applied to the new CDT in Future Energy Networks that is opening in Septemeber since this also interests me but similarly I don't know how likely I am to get a place.

I'm also terrified of obtatining a 2.2 since this means I would have studied for 4 years but not be able to get a job or course. I'm very worried.
Reply 1
Does anyone have any experience with going from BEng to PhD or of Wind Energy systems?
Engineering PhDs aren't generally that difficult to get into, as many of the best students, i.e. those most likely to succeed on a PhD, have better paying jobs in industry lined up for after graduation, and that's especially true of somewhere like Strathclyde lots of students are going to have oil jobs lined up with ****-off pay packets. And also, a lot of engineering students simply aren't that interested in continuing with academia anyway. It's definitely possible for high achieving BEng students to go straight into PhDs.

But if you have to do the MSc first, you have do it first. It's no biggie if they're paying it for you.
Reply 3
Thanks Smack! I have a big year, around 200 but half of them are from China so will be going back after 4th year. Most of the others seem to be going for jobs like you said since there's some highly paid careers straight out of uni. I do know 10 or so students who are going to apply.
The main problem is that science and maths students are also eligible so they'll make a lot of my competition.

Your right the MSc is still a good option if I don't get in and it's paid for which is lucky.
I've been lucky enough to get through uni debt free due to free tuition, bursaries and scholarship, working part time and staying at home so I shouldn't complain about not getting everything my own way.

Thank you very much, hopefully everything will be OK.
You will find that most STEM subjects offer a 3+1 postgrad - a Masters linked straight into a PhD. You will need a 2.1 or a First - anything lower and you wont even be considered. You are unlikely to get a place on a PhD program without an MSc or substantial industry experience - because Research Councils insist on this for funding applications.

Keep an eye on ads at www.jobs.ac.uk (scroll down to 'Studentships' at the bottom of the first page) - funding schemes at specific Unis are being advertised now and some have very early closing dates. Also, a direct approach to any likely Uni Depts is never a waste of time.
Don't ask how, but I happen to know that the Energy Networks CDT is terrified of not being able to recruit enough students.

Most Engineering doctoral programmes suffer serious competition with industry and you lose absolutely nothing by applying.

I am involved in a CDT in a slightly different area and we rely heavily on interview in choosing our students. We take about a half-and-half mix of Firsts and 2.1.

So give it a go and see what happens.
Reply 6
Thanks for the advice, it's extremely helpful. The 3+1 programme is what I'm applying for. Also it's good to know the energy CDT might consider me. Thanks guys.
I don't really see myself getting a 1 but I'll aom for it and work my ass off
Reply 7
Can I ask one last question?
How good is Strathclyde's Wind Energy CDT and Future Energy Networks CDT and would I be able to get a job after?
I was hoping to join a CDT since these usually have a lot of training and industrial application than standard PhDs but are there any drawbacks?
Is there other universities worth considering?
Looking at EPSRC website, the renewable energy stuff is mostly taught at Strathclyde. Edinburgh has an offshore energy CDT but I think that has been moved to Strathclyde, since I was told a new wave and wind CDT will be opening, if that is the case I will apply.
I think Strathclyde has one of the best EEE departments but I'm very biased since I've enjoyed my time (despite it being ha work). Is there other uni's I should apply to for energy related PhDs?
EPSRC has just recompeted all the CDTs. The list of those funded in the first round is available on http://www.epsrc.ac.uk/newsevents/news/2013/Pages/phdnewcentres.aspx (scroll down to the end for the list). EPSRC has since funded a further 19 Centres but I haven't seen a list of those, but I know York's Fusion and Imperial's Nuclear Engineering one were supported, so there may not be many more energy ones on this supplementary list.
Reply 9
Thanks! I checked it out and saw the future energy and the new wind and wave CDTs . I never saw the Wind Energy Systems one so maybe the Wind and Wave one is replacing it. I'll email the staff and ask.
Thanks very much for all your help!
Reply 10
Original post by Smack
Engineering PhDs aren't generally that difficult to get into, as many of the best students, i.e. those most likely to succeed on a PhD, have better paying jobs in industry lined up for after graduation, and that's especially true of somewhere like Strathclyde lots of students are going to have oil jobs lined up with ****-off pay packets. And also, a lot of engineering students simply aren't that interested in continuing with academia anyway. It's definitely possible for high achieving BEng students to go straight into PhDs.

But if you have to do the MSc first, you have do it first. It's no biggie if they're paying it for you.

What would you define as a "****-off pay packet"?
Original post by Mechie
What would you define as a "****-off pay packet"?

Mid thirties.
Reply 12
Hello, thanks for all the responses.
I have been invited for an interview for the Wind Energy CDT and was wondering if anyone had any specific or additional advice for engineering PhD interviews. I haven't been able to find much help apart from general postgraduate interview do's and do nots.
Thanks!
Reply 13
I should mention it is a 1 plus 3 programme so the first year is an MRes. This means it is not necessary to have a research proposal as that is chosen later.
Original post by llamaduck
Hello, thanks for all the responses.
I have been invited for an interview for the Wind Energy CDT and was wondering if anyone had any specific or additional advice for engineering PhD interviews. I haven't been able to find much help apart from general postgraduate interview do's and do nots.
Thanks!

Hi,

I was wondering if you were accepted and how are your views on the program so far.
Also, I had an interview more than 3 weeks ago and they have not replied to me yet. Do you remember how long did they take to reply to you?

Any kind of information you could give me will be more than helpful!!
Thank you in advance!
Original post by llamaduck

Generally I would expect somebody going into an Engineering PHD having a Master Degree (exception the first year of the PHD program is a Master degree). It is simply a standard and if not enough Masters apply, than I would begin to doubt the quality of the PHD program. You simply get so much more experience from exploring your field before you do your PHD, which means to actually work idependantly, create original ideas, being able to teach younger students, etc. etc. ...

I know it seems very annoying, if your Bachelor thesis works out really fine, makes a lot of fun and you already know, where your interest lies, but you risk falling behind on the long run, because you simply lack experience and are competing against people with that experience. (With competing I don't mean for the place, as said in Engineering a lot go straight in the industry, but at conferences, for jobs in academia, etc.) And you are 20 years old, which means you are in no hurry at all to take short cuts in your education, which at this point is a risk and no more a simple sign of excellence. {To underline my point: As you spent the first two years of an Engineering degree with fundamentals, one year is simply not enough to close the gap between "undergraduate only learning for exams" and "doing independant research and being able to teach both undergraduates and Master students how to do research".}

I know that sounds very blunt, but I would advise any 20 year old to widen his/her knowledge and not accelerate to much until you are at a point in your life, where you have no more time to get that knowledge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending