The Student Room Group

What's your favourite type of cake? (Need suggestions!)

Later this week, my boyfriend and I will be entertaining his grandparents for the afternoon/evening, and somehow we've developed a bit of a reputation for making good cakes :redface: Little do they know that we've only ever made three types; lemon drizzle, sponge cake with jam and cream, and orange and chocolate marble cake.

So with that in mind, we're kind of stuck for now. I've been looking for ideas but nothing is really grabbing me.

... Which made me wonder, what type of cakes do you guys like best? GIVE ME CAKE IDEAS! (Please!)

P.s. I'm not massively keen on chocolate cake, I'm the type of person who'd rather eat chocolate on it's own than have it mixed up in cake mixture, so that's making this a bit more difficult too. Any ideas that aren't chocolate based would be totally appreciated.

P.p.s. It would be much easier to buy one, I know, but I'm sure they'd be able to tell straight away that we cheated.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Cheesecake? :drool:
Reply 2
Carrot or Banana.
Reply 3
Red Velvet cake? Or maybe a coffee cake? I love cake :teeth:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Strawberry cake, you could use strawberry flavouring and with red food dye looks great

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't like cake but I love icing :drool:
CHEEESEEECAKEEE

and not really a cake, but OREO BROWWNIIESS :sogood:

http://www.theidearoom.net/2013/05/oreo-brownies-recipe.html

Its alright :yep:
You can't go wrong with butter cream icing on a basic sponge topped off hundreds and thousands and smarties! Always goes down a treat! It might seem childish and inappropriate for entertaining but if you made it for them and it tastes great I'm sure they'll love it and it will take them back to childhood memories of some fun birthdays!
Strawberry cheesecake.
CHOCOLATE CAKE!!! The more chocolatey the better....Mmmmm
Reply 10
A Black Forest Cake :smile:

Cheesecake with some nice toppings.
Tiramisu tastes brilliant, but I'm not sure if it's considered a cake or just a type of dessert...
If not, cheesecake would be wonderful as well...
Have fun cake making! :smile:
Reply 12
Date & Walnut loaf

Heat oven to 160 degrees celcius

10 oz self raising flour
8 oz sugar
6 oz dates (chopped)
4oz chopped walnuts
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
10 fluid ounces of boiling water
2oz margarine

Melt the margarine in the boiling water.
Mix all the ingredients together.
Place into a lined loaf tin (you can buy great loaf shaped linings these days)

Cook at 160 degrees celcius for 1 and 1/2 hours.
Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Frosting gets my vote.

Have a look at my blog if you'd like a good cheesecake recipe, it's http://bakemehappyblog.wordpress.com/ :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Banana cake

Heat oven to 180 degrees celcius

90g butter
130g brown sugar
1 egg
185g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (the blacker the better)
80ml buttermilk
40g walnuts (chopped)

Combine butter, sugar, egg, flour, soda, banana and buttermilk with an electric mixer. Beat on low speed until ingredients are combined. Then beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth and lighter in colour.

Stir in nuts.

Pour into a greased & floured bundt pan (I use a 20cm bundt pan but a lined loaf tin would do just as well)

Bake at 180 degrees celcius for 40-45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

We like to squabble about the type of frosting to use (if we use one at all). But I like this one:

90g cream cheese
90g butter
160g icing sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice and some grated lemon rind

Beat them all together until smooth. You may need more icing sugar to make it thick enough to splodge on top.
Reply 15
Gingerbread cake (this is quite flat - almost a slice more than a cake)

Heat oven to 180 degrees celcius

6oz butter
8oz demerera sugar
6oz golden syrup
6oz black treacle
1 lb plain flour
3 tsp ground ginger
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 pinch of salt
1/2 pint of milk
1 large egg

Grease, flour and line a baking tin (I use a 9" square one about 2" deep)

Put butter, sugar, syrup and treacle into a saucepan and warm gently until melted and amalgamated.

Whilst this is melting mix the dry ingredients (flour, ginger, baking powder, soda, salt) in a bowl.

In a jug, mix the egg with the milk and beat together. Leave to stand for a minute.

Allow the melted ingredients to cool for a few minutes (no more than three mins).

Using an electric mixer, gradually add the melted mixture into the flour mixture. When thoroughly incorporated gradually add the milk and egg. The mixture will look runny but that's perfect. Pour into lined baking tin.

Cook at 180 degrees celcius for about 1 and 1/2 hours. Check it occasionally - it is ready when the middle of the cake bounces back without indentation when you press it lightly with your finger. If you're unsure, put a skewer through the middle of the cake and remove - it should come out clean.

Optional - while the cake is still hot, heat a mixture of golden syrup, sugar, water and lemon juice in a pan and brush it over the top of the cake to glaze.

Cut into squares and serve.
Reply 16
Carrot cake is lovely and simple to make - most recipes use sunflower oil rather than butter/margarine so it's easy to mix. The only downfall can be the cream cheese icing - your best bet is to blend the butter and sugar together first, then drain as much liquid as possible out of the cream cheese and add it last.
Here's a recipe that looks pretty good/has decent reviews:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/532636/carrot-cake-with-cinnamon-frosting

This isn't a cake, but it is amazing and bound to impress. I've made it a couple of times for my (not particularly sweet-toothed) family and they all had seconds which is highly unusual.
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2053652/chocolate-hazelnut-and-salted-caramel-tart

Raspberry cupcakes always look really beautiful and impressive, despite being pretty simple. The key is to pipe a nice swirl of vanilla buttercream (the recipe says white chocolate buttercream but I've never tried it...) onto each cake, then put a fresh raspberry on the top. This hides the fact that the middle is a mess where you've cut a whole to spoon the raspberry jam in. Plus your guests get a surprise when they bite into a plain looking cake to find the jammy centre.
http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/white-chocolate-and-raspberry-cupcakes
Reply 17
Original post by Sakura-Chan
Later this week, my boyfriend and I will be entertaining his grandparents for the afternoon/evening, and somehow we've developed a bit of a reputation for making good cakes :redface: Little do they know that we've only ever made three types; lemon drizzle, sponge cake with jam and cream, and orange and chocolate marble cake.

So with that in mind, we're kind of stuck for now. I've been looking for ideas but nothing is really grabbing me.

... Which made me wonder, what type of cakes do you guys like best? GIVE ME CAKE IDEAS! (Please!)

P.s. I'm not massively keen on chocolate cake, I'm the type of person who'd rather eat chocolate on it's own than have it mixed up in cake mixture, so that's making this a bit more difficult too. Any ideas that aren't chocolate based would be totally appreciated.

P.p.s. It would be much easier to buy one, I know, but I'm sure they'd be able to tell straight away that we cheated.

White chocolate and raspberry! Its quite easy and its very nice!

You just make a normal vanilla spongecake, and add raspberries and chunks of white choc. I usually make it with a white chocolate frosting :tongue:

Hope this helped! Btw this cake is DELICIOUS

EDIT: I just realised that you said you dont want a chocolate cake. But this cake doesnt taste like chocolate, depending on how many raspberries you put in! And you could make a raspberry frosting instead :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Mocha coffee coffee cake - the best cake I have ever made or tasted! :drool:
Reply 19
I like chocolate orange marble cake, just like regular marble cake, but with orange flavor in the chocolaty parts.

Quick Reply

Latest