The Student Room Group

Does anyone about standing in R v Somerset County Council and ARC Southern Ltd case

I am seriously trying to figure out whether Mr Dixon had standing? I read the case but I still don't understand.
Wereall of Mr. Dixon’s arguments in relation to standing accepted? What I did find out was that Mr Dixon was not a busybody nor a troublemaker and as a citizen he's entitled to bring his concerns before the court.
Original post by Demi90
I am seriously trying to figure out whether Mr Dixon had standing? I read the case but I still don't understand.
Wereall of Mr. Dixon’s arguments in relation to standing accepted? What I did find out was that Mr Dixon was not a busybody nor a troublemaker and as a citizen he's entitled to bring his concerns before the court.

Dixon's arguments were not accepted. He tried to distinguish himself from the general public. The court considered rather, that as a member of the public, and one who was not a busybody or troublemaker, he had the right to ensure that the law was obeyed even if he had no personal interest in the matter.

The problem of course is that Dixon didn't want to ensure the law was obeyed. He didn't care whether there was a lawful decision or an unlawful one to grant PP. He just wanted to stop the quarry and the failure he complained of, was merely a device to try and quash the PP and send the developer back to an earlier stage in the planning process.

Judicial review is process orientated but most litigants are outcome orientated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending