The Student Room Group

access to higher education

i am thinking about applying to do a access to higher education course in September, but i don't know if i will be able to do it or not.

i left school with no gcses (currently doing maths and English functional skills)

i would really like to go to uni but i am not sure i am clever enough i have never had to write a essay or anything like that so would i cope doing a access course?

i would like to do law or business at uni if i got through the access course.

also do good university accept access courses?
Good universities do accept Access courses. There are several TSR members currently studying Access and holding offers from Cambridge. Colleges generally require applicants to Access courses to sit aptitude tests in maths or English, so if you are accepted onto the course, that means the college believe that you are capable of succeeding. You have nothing to lose by applying. :smile:
Reply 2
What I would do if I was you is have a look at some of the universities you would like to go to. Some of them will be fine with you doing the access and passing level 2 english and maths but a lot of them will require you to have gcse english and math at grade C, which is fine you can do your GCSEs at a college usually for free if you don't already have them. Also most colleges do a pre access course which might be good for you. Good luck with whatever you do and don't worry too much everyone has to start from somewhere.
Reply 3
Original post by Livvy.B
What I would do if I was you is have a look at some of the universities you would like to go to. Some of them will be fine with you doing the access and passing level 2 english and maths but a lot of them will require you to have gcse english and math at grade C, which is fine you can do your GCSEs at a college usually for free if you don't already have them. Also most colleges do a pre access course which might be good for you. Good luck with whatever you do and don't worry too much everyone has to start from somewhere.

Sorry to bother you but you did mention that if you do not have GCSE, you can get them for free. Is this option only for British or can be even accessed by foreigners?
Have you considered trying to get a couple of GCSEs, ideally English and Maths, under your belt first? It would offer you a reintroduction to education and allow you to get the GCSEs that are necessary for most universities. Although many colleges allow you do to such GCSEs alongside your access course.

Also, you may want to consider doing an access course part time. Some colleges do offer such a route. This would take two years but allow you to take a more leisurely route. It is also helpful if you have any work or childcare commitments.
Reply 5
Original post by ForgetMe
Sorry to bother you but you did mention that if you do not have GCSE, you can get them for free. Is this option only for British or can be even accessed by foreigners?

Don't worry! At my college both english and maths is free for EU citizens...hope this helps!
Reply 6
Original post by Livvy.B
Don't worry! At my college both english and maths is free for EU citizens...hope this helps!

For how long you have to study to obtain GCSE in those subjects? It might be a problem for me because I might not be eligible because I hold a degree in Business studies gained in my country. Or it doesn't really matter? :smile:
Reply 7
I think it's usually year for adults. Maybe not then but I'm no expert try calling up a local college:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by graciebun
i am thinking about applying to do a access to higher education course in September, but i don't know if i will be able to do it or not.

i left school with no gcses (currently doing maths and English functional skills)

i would really like to go to uni but i am not sure i am clever enough i have never had to write a essay or anything like that so would i cope doing a access course?

i would like to do law or business at uni if i got through the access course.

also do good university accept access courses?

If you are thinking about it, have plans for after the access course at university and have thoughts about jobs then you have the motivation to give it ago. There is no harm in trying.
The course teaches you the skills you need.
Reply 9
One of the main points of the Access course is to provide you with updated skills for learning. Therefore, you will be helped at every step to get up to scratch and improve on what you're not good at!
Reply 10
Access courses are entry routes into higher education specifically designed for mature students and these courses are designed to help people to develop the necessary confidence and knowledge for getting onto a degree program.

Thanks
Infraredtraininginstitute
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending