The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

1st year rate

Hi, I'm studying languages at UofM, I'd like to know if I need to get 40% per module to pass or 40% overall.
Original post by viki1995
Hi, I'm studying languages at UofM, I'd like to know if I need to get 40% per module to pass or 40% overall.

I'll draw this to the attention of a Manchester languages student who can give you SALC specific info

tillytots
:wavey:

However, you tend to find that there is such a thing as a 'compensatable fail' - that is, a module where you get less than 40% but over a certain mark (30% or 35%, I think, depending on the department) where you don't have to resit if your overall average is above 40%. However, below a certain mark you will always need to resit, you may find that there is no such thing as a compensatable fail for core modules, and there may be a restriction on how many modules you can pass by compensation.

That said, it is in your best interests to get the best marks possible - if graduate employers request your transcript and see that you only started working when it suited you (i.e. after first year) they won't be impressed.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'll draw this to the attention of a Manchester languages student who can give you SALC specific info

However, you tend to find that there is such a thing as a 'compensatable fail' - that is, a module where you get less than 40% but over a certain mark (30% or 35%, I think, depending on the department) where you don't have to resit if your overall average is above 40%. However, below a certain mark you will always need to resit, you may find that there is no such thing as a compensatable fail for core modules, and there may be a restriction on how many modules you can pass by compensation.

That said, it is in your best interests to get the best marks possible - if graduate employers request your transcript and see that you only started working when it suited you (i.e. after first year) they won't be impressed.

Thank you very much
Reply 3
Origami is right, you need 40% in every module to pass but I believe you can have one compensatable fail.

You have to pass your core language modules though and I think even resits in those are limited/don't really look very good as a linguist.
Reply 4
I do first year Chinese. If you don't get 40% in your language module (total grade in both semesters divided by two I think), you can't progress to second year, even if you get 39%. Doesn't matter if you get 100% in all the others, you can't compensate in any way for language, you have to pass it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending