The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Did you ever ask your doctor if there is anything you can do about it?
Reply 2
How long have you had it? My friend hiccups every half hour or so, and weirdly it started when she relocated to the other side of the country.
Reply 3
i know it's hard but try not to let it get to you (what rubbish advice, easier said than done)...
it must be really frustrating, i understand as i am a real sneezer. it's worse given that i work with food! very very frustrating as i'm sure you can understand. people call me sneezy girl! i really feel your pain.

the best thing i can advise you to do is to speak to your doctor. are the hiccups triggered by stress or anything?
Reply 4
ChocolatePie
Did you ever ask your doctor if there is anything you can do about it?

Nope, havent seen anyone about them yet.
Reply 5
lol thats weird
Poor you, I get sick of them after about a minute, and sometimes they can kinda hurt!

Anyway, holding your breath for ages works for me, but then mine is never this serious. I'd see a doctor if it had carried on that long...
Reply 7
You've been hiccupping non-stop for 3 weeks and you haven't seen a doctor yet? I can only assume they have already driven you nutty...

Good luck getting rid of them though :smile: Holding my breath works for me!
Reply 8
OP: i'm sure you've tried every trick in the book to stop them... go to the doctor definitely, it's the only way to sort this out!
Reply 9
ok on a large scale, it doesn't seem to bad but imagine you had that four times an hour. while you were at work or while you were trying to kiss your girlfriend? what about eating, that could be dangerous! or at the cinema, you'd feel silly. i can completely understand the OP's issue here!
Hold your breath for 10 seconds and then swallow three times. Repeat until they have gone.

Works for me, anyway.
AndySoOoOoN
Wasnt meant to be nice.

Hiccups is nothing, oh no its a bit uncomfortable, any1 who stops doing what they want to do in life because of that is just plain stupid.

Stephen hawking is a perfect example, and he has far more than a few measly hiccups.

It's a complete pain in the backside for an hour, let alone 3 weeks, rem.
My sister had chronic hiccups for5 years. She tried absolutely everything to get rid of them - acupuncture, herbal remedies etc etc - in the end she just left them and I think she grew out of them...they will go eventually.
Reply 13
well if you get it four times an hour and can't stop each time, that's rather tiring... ( i assume that's what the op means by four times an hour)

you can't really compare something like this to steven hawking
Reply 14
lil_sweetie
My sister had chronic hiccups for5 years. She tried absolutely everything to get rid of them - acupuncture, herbal remedies etc etc - in the end she just left them and I think she grew out of them...they will go eventually.

so only another 4 years and 49 weeks to go then :p:
rxbeef
well if you get it four times an hour and can't stop each time, that's rather tiring... ( i assume that's what the op means by four times an hour)

you can't really compare something like this to steven hawking

Ofcourse you can, by the "Ruin my life" reference, you can easily compare it to what others with far worse things to live with have done while not letting it ruin thier lives. Thus showing yourself that even though there are a few hiccups in your life :rolleyes:.... you can still do great things.
Reply 16
AndySoOoOoN
Ofcourse you can, by the "Ruin my life" reference, you can easily compare it to what others with far worse things to live with have done while not letting it ruin thier lives. Thus showing yourself that even though there are a few hiccups in your life :rolleyes:.... you can still do great things.

of cousre, you can still do things with your life, but you can understand why it might be a problem and ruin things to some extent.
I cant imagine theres many things hiccups will stop you doing but im sure theres some. Sure, it will effect parts of peoples life, and thats very sad, as I know all to well. But his statement was much more general that just a few aspects.
Reply 18
To the OP, hiccuping is a horrible sensation, and I'm sorry you have to go through this so often :frown: Exactly how often are the hiccups? Does one happen every hour, or is it a bout of them every twenty minutes?

However long they last, you should probably see a doctor just to have a check-up - they'll probably check that nothing's wrong with your diaphragm or airways and maybe give you something to ease the hiccups.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon!
xxx
Reply 19
Bless him. Go to the doctor, must I say it again?! Grrrf. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending