The Student Room Group

Experience

Hey wasn't too sure where to post!

I am in my first year of uni and the only work experience I have had with children was four years ago in a one week work experience placement in a pre-school. I am interested in going into teaching and was wondering how to get experience in a secondary school/college as to enable me the best chance possible of getting onto a PGCE in two and a half years time.

Reply 1
Original post by SeanToBeWild
Hey wasn't too sure where to post!

I am in my first year of uni and the only work experience I have had with children was four years ago in a one week work experience placement in a pre-school. I am interested in going into teaching and was wondering how to get experience in a secondary school/college as to enable me the best chance possible of getting onto a PGCE in two and a half years time.

Do you know anyone that works in a secondary school? They can help you.
If not, email/ring/write letters to local secondary schools. Do it ASAP. I would recommend ringing first, then you will know how to proceed. You should ask for the email of the head of the subject you want to teach or the head of teacher training.
What subject are you wanting to teach? Remember you need at least 50% of your degree to be directly relevant to that subject.
Original post by Shelly_x
Do it ASAP.

Why? They want to train to teach in two and a half years' time. I wouldn't want to hear from them until next year at the earliest.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr M
Why? They want to train to teach in two and a half years' time. I wouldn't want to hear from them until next year at the earliest.

Okay so maybe ASAP was a bit dire. But it really doesn't hurt to be building up a range of experience over the next couple of years. Realistically, if they want to start a course immediately after their degree then they will be applying in a year and a half. So it's not a bad time to start gaining experience. Especially if the pgce they want to do is one of the more competitive ones.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending