The Student Room Group

Teacher lost it at me!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Is that actual best teaching practice?
Humiliating one student so as to make an example of them to the rest? Considering how minor it was I don't think the reaction was appropriate. She came to my level and shouted directly into my face. I had to sit through that mortifying experience of a double class feeling like I was about to get sick.

That said I got on really well with this teacher until now. She just snapped.

I'm no teacher but I've seen that kind of thing happen a lot at the school I used to go to (it wasn't exactly the best of schools, lots of the kids were unruly), but you just had to suck it up and deal with it, and learn from the experience so you don't repeat it. Most students soon got the idea and didn't mess about from then on; you could tell which teachers were pushovers and which ones had it sussed from the way the same kids behaved in each respective class. However if your teacher got right in your face this could be a bit over the top in this scenario. Making a complaint is probably more effort than it's worth though, shouting at a student for being disrespectful is hardly going to get them suspended.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Apocrypha
In future, remain monotonous but stand your ground, this way she cant say you were being aggressive or provocative, also kindly remind her that the piece of homework probably wont effect your future much at all and that it wont happen again.

"Kindly remind her". :rolleyes: Do you have a problem with authority or something? What you're suggesting sounds a lot like answering back and trying to be a smart-arse, imo. Sure, ONE piece of homework may not be the cornerstone of your entire future. However, as the daughter of a teacher and someone who has spent the last few years working in schools, do you have any idea how your kind of attitude comes across to teachers? What it EVERY student back-chatted and tried to get the better of the teachers? And sure, one piece of homework on its own may seem like nothing. How much does a snowflake weigh - nothing, right? Then watch a branch fall off a tree under the weight of the snow from a blizzard. Seriously, some of the new teachers I know go home in tears because they spend their days trying to teach entire classes full of kids like you.

Original post by Apocrypha
Lol, my teachers were bad, im just saying you have to incept the teacher hard, use psychology to your advantage, effectively make them look stupid.

When I was in school I always tried to be someone whom teachers never wanted to argue with, it got to a point where all my teachers said please whenever they asked me to do something.

Wow, you sound mature. :rolleyes: I know kids like you, who argue with every. single. instruction. Who constantly backchat, have an answer for everything. If every kid in the class had such a lousy attitude, no one would learn everything.

I say please and thank you to students I work with as a matter of course to be polite, not because they've got one up on me or whatever you like to think. However politely I phrase something, it's still an instruction. I'm still a member of staff.

Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
This,this,this .

Have no fear op , it's only when you show that you get intimidated that they actually dare go mad at you , no teacher would dare shout in my face .

Smirk , joke , laugh in the face of their anger and see how it winds them up.

:rolleyes:
As someone who works in a school, I can tell you that on the rare occasions I shout, it's not because I'm "intimidated". It's because I'm frustrated that someone's behaviour is having a negative effect on everyone else. (I work in the library as it happens. The students who go in there to work, get annoyed at fellow pupils making a lot of noise or doing something else that affects them.)

You sound really immature.

And no, it's not about being intimidated. Usually, it's just the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Would you consider becoming a teacher?
Why not? Because of the workload, the pressure, the expectations, the attitude and hassle you'd get from kids AND parents? I'll bet the lack of respect from students would be a factor. Tell me I'm wrong.
But hey, you expect them to take it from you. :rolleyes:

Original post by Anonymous
Is that actual best teaching practice?
Humiliating one student so as to make an example of them to the rest? Considering how minor it was I don't think the reaction was appropriate. She came to my level and shouted directly into my face. I had to sit through that mortifying experience of a double class feeling like I was about to get sick.

That said I got on really well with this teacher until now. She just snapped.

Yes, she snapped.
I'm not saying it was right. But have you ever tried controlling a class of schoolkids? Your comment to her may not have been intended badly. And I'm sure it is true that you're generally a good student otherwise. But you might just have been the hundredth student to have backchatted her that day, and been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Also, in terms of discipline, yes, making an "example" of one student can be a way to show the rest of the class how the teacher does things. I agree, maybe she shouldn't have shouted in your face as the "example", but in terms of discipline generally, yes, I see the method.
I work in a school. At one point, supervising the library, there were some students deliberately causing trouble for me, being blatantly rude and disrespectful. The ringleaders were banned from the library, I made it clear that I had the full support of their head of year and other staff, and the trouble stopped.

Most teachers I know (and trust me, I know a LOT of teachers), went into teaching as a vocation. They WANT to teach you. They practically kill themselves with a workload people don't imagine - seriously, quite a few of the ones I know have literally no social life apart from after-work drinks on a Friday, and go above and beyond what they have to do, to try and engage some people like the posters in this thread, especially the ones presenting challenging behaviour etc.

What struck me when I started working in schools, is how little of the work behind the scenes you actually see as a student, or the scale of things. For example, you lose your jumper/exercise book/pencil case etc. So do 90 other students. I have been ranted at by parents because little Susie lost her jumper (unnamed, don't know what size, identical to every other school jumper worn by hundreds of other students), and do I know how expensive this stuff is, etc etc etc. And I'm raking through a pile of 50 jumpers, trying to search for ANY kind of sign as to whose it is.
By the same token, you make one comment to one teacher. To that one teacher, you're the hundredth student that day to have back-chatted them, to question their instruction/authority, etc etc.

Some people in this thread really need to grow up and get over themselves. Teachers are human too, you know.
Original post by treasureBelle
"Kindly remind her". :rolleyes: Do you have a problem with authority or something? What you're suggesting sounds a lot like answering back and trying to be a smart-arse, imo. Sure, ONE piece of homework may not be the cornerstone of your entire future. However, as the daughter of a teacher and someone who has spent the last few years working in schools, do you have any idea how your kind of attitude comes across to teachers? What it EVERY student back-chatted and tried to get the better of the teachers? And sure, one piece of homework on its own may seem like nothing. How much does a snowflake weigh - nothing, right? Then watch a branch fall off a tree under the weight of the snow from a blizzard. Seriously, some of the new teachers I know go home in tears because they spend their days trying to teach entire classes full of kids like you.

Wow, you sound mature. :rolleyes: I know kids like you, who argue with every. single. instruction. Who constantly backchat, have an answer for everything. If every kid in the class had such a lousy attitude, no one would learn everything.

I say please and thank you to students I work with as a matter of course to be polite, not because they've got one up on me or whatever you like to think. However politely I phrase something, it's still an instruction. I'm still a member of staff.

:rolleyes:
As someone who works in a school, I can tell you that on the rare occasions I shout, it's not because I'm "intimidated". It's because I'm frustrated that someone's behaviour is having a negative effect on everyone else. (I work in the library as it happens. The students who go in there to work, get annoyed at fellow pupils making a lot of noise or doing something else that affects them.)

You sound really immature.

And no, it's not about being intimidated. Usually, it's just the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Would you consider becoming a teacher?
Why not? Because of the workload, the pressure, the expectations, the attitude and hassle you'd get from kids AND parents? I'll bet the lack of respect from students would be a factor. Tell me I'm wrong.
But hey, you expect them to take it from you. :rolleyes:

Yes, she snapped.
I'm not saying it was right. But have you ever tried controlling a class of schoolkids? Your comment to her may not have been intended badly. And I'm sure it is true that you're generally a good student otherwise. But you might just have been the hundredth student to have backchatted her that day, and been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Also, in terms of discipline, yes, making an "example" of one student can be a way to show the rest of the class how the teacher does things. I agree, maybe she shouldn't have shouted in your face as the "example", but in terms of discipline generally, yes, I see the method.
I work in a school. At one point, supervising the library, there were some students deliberately causing trouble for me, being blatantly rude and disrespectful. The ringleaders were banned from the library, I made it clear that I had the full support of their head of year and other staff, and the trouble stopped.

Most teachers I know (and trust me, I know a LOT of teachers), went into teaching as a vocation. They WANT to teach you. They practically kill themselves with a workload people don't imagine - seriously, quite a few of the ones I know have literally no social life apart from after-work drinks on a Friday, and go above and beyond what they have to do, to try and engage some people like the posters in this thread, especially the ones presenting challenging behaviour etc.

What struck me when I started working in schools, is how little of the work behind the scenes you actually see as a student, or the scale of things. For example, you lose your jumper/exercise book/pencil case etc. So do 90 other students. I have been ranted at by parents because little Susie lost her jumper (unnamed, don't know what size, identical to every other school jumper worn by hundreds of other students), and do I know how expensive this stuff is, etc etc etc. And I'm raking through a pile of 50 jumpers, trying to search for ANY kind of sign as to whose it is.
By the same token, you make one comment to one teacher. To that one teacher, you're the hundredth student that day to have back-chatted them, to question their instruction/authority, etc etc.

Some people in this thread really need to grow up and get over themselves. Teachers are human too, you know.

I will reply to this from my uni room, having succeeded in school regardless of my attitude. Have a nice day :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending