The Student Room Group

Is this the right thing to do after leaving University and finding a job?

Ok, so I am leaving University, handing my last thing in anyway, on 23rd April. I want to do some travelling so am taking May off. I will then find a full time job mid June, that is appropriate to my degreee. Anyway, most people I know are looking now for March. So am I correct in my thinking that if I look in June, I will hopefull have a job by July/ August? Applications are usually for jobs that will be needed by a few weeks to a month, right?

Thanks!
Original post by Jsee
Ok, so I am leaving University, handing my last thing in anyway, on 23rd April. I want to do some travelling so am taking May off. I will then find a full time job mid June, that is appropriate to my degreee. Anyway, most people I know are looking now for March. So am I correct in my thinking that if I look in June, I will hopefull have a job by July/ August? Applications are usually for jobs that will be needed by a few weeks to a month, right?

Thanks!

What sort of job? If you're looking for casual work I'd start in May. If you want an actual grad job then you are missing the boat as we speak.
Original post by Jsee

Thanks!

As above, it depends what job you are trying to get. High turn over jobs like pub jobs or summer deck chairs etc might get a -can you start now? Any office based job, suggested by your 'full time job, relevant to degree' then you are probably way out. First of all you will be looking for a specific job to turn up, ie you need a specific chain of events to happen before a suitable job is advertised. Jobs will be advertised for a minimum of two weeks, usually 3 or four. It will then take a minimum of one week, usually two to filter and decide who to invite to interview. Interviews will take another week. Companies will then, usually have built in a one month notice period, assuming you are leaving a job. They won't necessarily be able to take you earlier just because you are available.

So in total, it usually takes at least 6 weeks from the time you submit the application that gets you an offer, to get an offer and then maybe 4 more to start. 10 weeks total, over 2 months. If you are lucky, it happens in 3-4 weeks, if you aren't lucky it could easily be 3-4 months.
Reply 3
Right. I am applying for jobs as a Marketing Assistant, so full time London based jobs. I cannot go for graduate programmes, as I have such a small amount of A Level points, that's why I am applying for normal jobs, so ones you see on Reed etc. To be honest, I was going to start planning March time. I have looked into apartments etc. and I can practically go any time I want as I live at home and only have a part time job with a 2 week notice period. Thoughts now?
Original post by Jsee
Right. I am applying for jobs as a Marketing Assistant, so full time London based jobs. I cannot go for graduate programmes, as I have such a small amount of A Level points, that's why I am applying for normal jobs, so ones you see on Reed etc. To be honest, I was going to start planning March time. I have looked into apartments etc. and I can practically go any time I want as I live at home and only have a part time job with a 2 week notice period. Thoughts now?

How does any of that affect the process employers use to recruit?
Reply 5
It was mainly aimed at the first responder.
Original post by Jsee
It was mainly aimed at the first responder.

Quote me then!

I really don't know enough about marketing to know what their hiring cycle is like. But I imagine that applying in March you should have at least some options open to you.

Have a quick look around now to see what kind of timescale similar jobs on Reed are working to though, to make sure you don't miss out
Reply 7
Have you thought about internships? Hate to break it but it's becoming less common to enter a marketing career at anything other than internship level without a degree. Companies tend to start recruiting in March

Quick Reply

Latest