Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Can anyone help me in my English language revision i want to get an A or a B
Reply 21
hi do you know what might come up in the english lanuage exam
Reply 22
Original post by majmuh24
Why exactly do you "need" a B?

hi do you know what might come up in the english lanuage GCSE exam because i really need help and i need to get grade A or B as i want to become a journalist and study english in uni thanks :wink::biggrin:
Reply 23
I hate to say it, but this is probably the one exam you can't really revise for. My whole year sat it in November, and when the results came back in Jan, it came down entirely to natural English ability, not revision. Mr Bruff may be good for the technique, but you can't revise the writing, it's soley on your english ability I'm afraid. Just my own experience of english language
xx
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 25
predictions for the english language and literature aqa papers in june 2014??
Reply 26
Original post by nerd-123
predictions for the english language and literature aqa papers in june 2014??
it would be g8 to know what article we gonna have, and I'm hoping they will be easy
could anyone tell me any tips on how to get a c/b in the foundation paper? i know its hard to even get a c, i just don't want to fail it
Hi, if you find it annoying that the hard earned results from your speaking and listening presentations have been removed from your language GCSE, then why not sign this petition...

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/michael-gove-restore-english-gcse-speaking-marks

Thanks
Original post by Highfiveyou
Hey guys I need a rough mark for my attempt on a pass paper question? I would appreciated if I get feedback thanks and a rough mark out of 16?

Now you need to refer to Source 3, In Search of Olives and either Source 1 or Source 2.
You are going to compare the use of language in two texts, one of which you have chosen.
4 Compare the ways in which language is used for effect in the two texts.
Give some examples and analyse the effects. (16 marks)

Similarly both source 1 and source 3 use rhetorical questions to grip there readers attention, for different purposes. For example the source 1 is an article, they have used rhetorical question: “one day off the red stuff?” The writer has used this technique as it grabs the reader’s attention and makes there reader feel like the text is specifically for them, since the article is showing concern for our planet which is everyone’s home, so everyone can relate, and using the phrase “stuff” instead of meat gives the meat no purpose as its now effecting our planets well-being. Source 3 has also used a direct approach, as they have also used a rhetorical question in their personal text: “What were they doing?” This is used as it makes the reader instantly feel like they are now involved in her journey, as the readers are directly addressed and this makes then wonder more about some of the issues that are raised during her journey, and raises the reader’s curiosity.

Unlike source 3, source 1 has used statistics in there article to back up there statement:”30% of the UK’s greenhouse gas emission”. Source 1 has used statistics in there article as this makes there text sound more athourative and accurate, since they are backing all of their views and stresses that meat is effecting our everyday life, this enables the reader to understand that “turning vegetarian“ can save our planet and can have a huge benefit to us, soon the reader gains trust in the article and may even support there views. Whereas source 3 had used adjectives: “flat black sky”. The narrator has used this in source 3 as this is very vivid, this keeps the reader entertained as it creates a strong imagery of some of the places she had visited while on her journey, this gives the readers full insight of her experience and also makes them feel like they have also been on a looming adventure while reading through this entertaining personal text.
In comparison to source 1, source 3 uses a list:” donkeys, cars, carts with long-bearded

gnome-like men”. Source 3 has used the list as this sounds rather catchy and leaves a long lasting effect on the reader as this information sticks in to the readers head, as they enjoy the extreme experience of the writer as she travels to Mediterranean , this gives the reader a thrilling insight of what she saw and had experienced. Whereas source 1 has used an emotive phrase: “climate change” this is used to gain an emotional response from the readers, as they are the main audience to this article as the “climate” has an effect on everyone therefore the readers will have a concern and will feel the stress climbing through as they acknowledge how badly they are damaging the world , they feel a sense of regret and guilt for putting the planet through so many life changing processes that will damage everything.
It was a good piece with some engaging comments. It was also nicely structured, but still some tiny holes like in the end about climate change; I t was over exaggerated by you, where you should have made it simple and straightforward with to the point analysis. overall, very good so might be 12+
Reply 30
Original post by GoldGhost
That's extremely impressive. Is the teaching at your school good? I'm very curious because that's extremely impressive to go up from a 'D' to an 'A'.

To be honest, it is not that much. I have seen people in my year going from level 2b (around a F- in GCSE grade) in year 8 and the same person achieved a solid A star in his last mock. Improving your English grade is not as hard as improving your maths or science grade.
Reply 31
Original post by purpura
To be honest, it is not that much. I have seen people in my year going from level 2b (around a F- in GCSE grade) in year 8 and the same person achieved a solid A star in his last mock. Improving your English grade is not as hard as improving your maths or science grade.

How can you improve it by such a big grade difference? Please reply
Reply 32
Original post by Mo_678
How can you improve it by such a big grade difference? Please reply

Well, I don't really know.What I did was to learn complicated words through randomly searching them up. Then I watched documentaries like Zeitgeist and replicated the manner in which they spoke of because it sounded very sophisticated
Any tips to get from A to A*? I'm resitting so there's no point me doing the exam unless I get an A*, but I find the AQA exam rather tricky.
is there a english language foundation thread?
Reply 35
Original post by ryanroks1
Any tips to get from A to A*? I'm resitting so there's no point me doing the exam unless I get an A*, but I find the AQA exam rather tricky.

Look at the mark schemes from past papers. Look at what they want for each question, as the format is the same every year, just try to make the points to get you the marks. I'm hoping that this can get me up to an A*. I only got 63 on my controlled assessment but in my mock I comfortably got an A* in the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/michael-gove-restore-english-gcse-speaking-marks
Everyone please sign this petition. It's to restore your speaking marks as well. We need 200 signatures for it to be considered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AlphaNick
If you want an A*, go here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=44973544#post44973544

I got full UMS on this exam, and in this post is my mindset 1 week before it.

Thanks for that post, just had a read through and it was very useful. For question 4, my teacher recommends we only talk about linguistic devices that are apparent in both sources. However, this means I end up missing out on good opportunities to talk about devices such as puns, that are likely to only appear in one of the sources. Should I follow their advice, or can I still get top marks by talking about different devices?
Original post by MaRiAa1999
Can anyone help me in my English language revision i want to get an A or a B

You should watch online titurials to give you specific ideas on what to write for each section. For the section B part when you are told to argue for or against a particular thing you should argue as if your opinion is the truth(fact) by using statistics and maybe grab something form the reading section that you could put on the writing section that could make your work stand out for example you could add some statements from an expert witness to your work to make you sound like you know what you are talking about by using variety of evidence.:smile:
Reply 39
lol wat kinda question is that. Thats just wat theyr aiming for. live with it

Quick Reply

Latest