The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

English Literature Offer From Durham?

Hello!
I am a non UK European student enrolling in the IB programme, and I applied for English Literature at the five universities of my choice in late October, which is quite early. I have received offers from 4/5 universities, which are Exeter, York, Bristol and East Anglia. Durham, which is my first choice, has not yet replied to me. The rest of the universities replied to me very early, around two months ago. I'm getting very nervous about my Durham application, and so I'm wondering:

If you got an offer from Durham University for English Literature or another course, how long was it before it made you an offer? Is it a bad sign that I have not yet received a response?

Thanks in advance,
C.
Reply 1
Have a look at this thread, and talk to the people on there:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2501079&page=3&p=46013044&highlight=english%20literature%20offer#post46013044

It sounds as if Durham has mainly been waiting until all the applications had been made by 15 January, and has now started to give out the offers. Don't get worried yet, the university has until mid-March to make its decision!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Holmstock
Have a look at this thread, and talk to the people on there:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2501079&page=3&p=46013044&highlight=english%20literature%20offer#post46013044

It sounds as if Durham has mainly been waiting until all the applications had been made by 15 January, and has now started to give out the offers. Don't get worried yet, the university has until mid-March to make its decision!

Actually, they have until 8th May. Ucas 'encourages' them to reply by the 31st March, but they don't have to. If they haven't replied by 8th May, Ucas makes the application unsuccessful automatically on that date. (My son got his firm offer on 8th May...)
Reply 3
I applied for physics on the 8th of October, got my offer on the 11th of December.
Reply 4
hi

I depends on the number of applicants, I had a offer for ed/lit studies but still waiting for straight lit degree answer :smile:
hope that helps
Reply 5
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Actually, they have until 8th May. Ucas 'encourages' them to reply by the 31st March, but they don't have to. If they haven't replied by 8th May, Ucas makes the application unsuccessful automatically on that date. (My son got his firm offer on 8th May...)

Wow, that was cutting it fine - I'm glad they saw sense at last!
I applied for English Lit at Durham, it took me just over 3 months to get an offer so don't lose hope!
Original post by Holmstock
Wow, that was cutting it fine - I'm glad they saw sense at last!

Indeed, although I must admit that it was from Edinburgh for art, not Durham for English, but they have a similarly slow throughput rate.

Quick Reply