The Student Room Group

Is £14,000 a year worth it?

I'm thinking about applying for this job that is 30+ minutes away from my home, but the salary is £14,000.

I want to ask for your opinions, do you think it's worth it? Thanks.
Reply 1
What are your other options?
Original post by lalalalalalamember
I'm thinking about applying for this job that is 30+ minutes away from my home, but the salary is £14,000.

It depends on what the job role is, if you can find another job, what your skillset is etc...

That being said Im on 12.5K (+ 1K bonus hopefully), but Im on placement so they don't pay us any where near enough what they should be :biggrin:

So to add to that, what experience could you get from the job? Would it be worth it as a stepping stone? Would it be worth it, if it's a large company perhaps? We need more detail tbh

Though I don't have to pay tax (aside from NI), so... :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Not unless there's progression.

More details needed.
Reply 4
It depends if you live alone. I couldn't personally easily live on £14,000 because I run my own home. But if I lived with my parents I could do it easily.
Original post by lalalalalalamember

Well, what is the job? What are the hours? How old are you? What are your qualifications? Elaborate.
Reply 6
"Money is human happiness in the abstract: he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money."

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ask yourself, what would i do if money wasn't a factor ...if it didn't exist ... then you'll know.
Original post by cid
"Money is human happiness in the abstract: he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money."

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ask yourself, what would i do if money wasn't a factor ...if it didn't exist ... then you'll know.

If only it were that simple!
Reply 8
It can be ... to an extent, I'm not saying we don't need money, but ask yourself what you really need and what you just want.
Reply 9
Depending on a few things... I could probably make £14,000 PA after tax and NI stretch and this is in London!
So far with calculations (im not actually in the situation yet but will in October) and a few variables I've managed to make living in Central London... on student finance only (no job or family contribution) stretch on paper!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Living in room in a house or flat in zone 2 or 3
Bus travelcard as opposed to tube travelcard if you need to go to zone 1 or cycle instead.

Discount websites, cards and vouchers (not many people realise apprentices and graduates can get an NUS Extra card!

I haven't even got to how you can make savings on food

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Lord Jon
Depending on a few things... I could probably make £14,000 PA after tax and NI stretch and this is in London!
So far with calculations (im not actually in the situation yet but will in October) and a few variables I've managed to make living in Central London... on student finance only (no job or family contribution) stretch on paper!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The OP is suggesting a salary of £14k not after tax, also you aren't factoring in council tax... it is doable, but in no way comfortable.

To the OP, its pretty much the bottom of the salary range but its doable. As others have said it depends, if you're only worth £15k then I wouldn't bother quibbling, if you are worth £20k then don't bother.
Reply 12
Original post by Quady
The OP is suggesting a salary of £14k not after tax, also you aren't factoring in council tax... it is doable, but in no way comfortable.

To the OP, its pretty much the bottom of the salary range but its doable. As others have said it depends, if you're only worth £15k then I wouldn't bother quibbling, if you are worth £20k then don't bother.

You're right. I never thought of council tax. Apologies. As for the salary id have to agree then that it is awfully low!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I would say no, but then I don't know your circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending