The Student Room Group

Does proximity cause sexual lust?

i have started feeling a bit confused about my flatmate. i am a girl. he is a good looking guy but i never fancied him, as far as i am aware. hes a bot of a "lad". there was a few days where it was just him and i in our flat plus one more because the others went home and we went out almost every day, and my other flatmate said he seemed like he wanted to get with me when we were out.. (which i didn't realise/agree with)... but when i heard that i knew i really didn't want to.

along with that, there is my other flatmate and him and her are good friends too (we are all close). i am pretty sure she likes him. some people say they are going to get together (only sex). recently this has started making me feel jealous. i really don't like the thought. i don't know why, whether it's just feeling left out or something different.

also when i've been drunk the last few times i have actually been attracted to him.. and now when i am sober i am also confused. i definitely don't have relationshippy feelings towards him, but i love him as a friend and have suddenly started maybe feeling sexually attracted to him. i would never want to ruin the friendship though or cause drama in my flat.

i just want some opinions? is this just because i am feeling a bit jealous and i see him all the time?
It doesn't sound like he's right for you anyway. Try to move on:tongue:

Easier said than done probably.
Reply 2
never underestimate the aphrodisiac qualities of booze
You're not always instantly attracted or not attracted to someone. The saying is "I've developed feeling for.." The keyword is developed, it takes time sometimes.
If it's happening just embrace it, live life as you normally would and let it take you wherever it goes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Of course it does. This is how dudes in prison end up banging each other even though they went into prison as straight guys.
Reply 5
Why not get it on? Talk it through with him see what he says

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by So Instinct
You're not always instantly attracted or not attracted to someone. The saying is "I've developed feeling for.." The keyword is developed, it takes time sometimes.
If it's happening just embrace it, live life as you normally would and let it take you wherever it goes.

i cannot really imagine myself in a relationship with him or even wanting that. pretty certain i wouldn't want to even risk that, he is one of my favourite guys friends. however i think i kind of want to just GET with him or maybe even i just want him to want to get with me but it not to actually happen... i don't even know if he's attracted to me or has similar feelings. i can only imagine it ending messily if something DID happen between us though especially because of my friend who i suspect has feelings towards him.
Original post by Anonymous
i have started feeling a bit confused about my flatmate. i am a girl. he is a good looking guy but i never fancied him, as far as i am aware. hes a bot of a "lad". there was a few days where it was just him and i in our flat plus one more because the others went home and we went out almost every day, and my other flatmate said he seemed like he wanted to get with me when we were out.. (which i didn't realise/agree with)... but when i heard that i knew i really didn't want to.

along with that, there is my other flatmate and him and her are good friends too (we are all close). i am pretty sure she likes him. some people say they are going to get together (only sex). recently this has started making me feel jealous. i really don't like the thought. i don't know why, whether it's just feeling left out or something different.

also when i've been drunk the last few times i have actually been attracted to him.. and now when i am sober i am also confused. i definitely don't have relationshippy feelings towards him, but i love him as a friend and have suddenly started maybe feeling sexually attracted to him. i would never want to ruin the friendship though or cause drama in my flat.

i just want some opinions? is this just because i am feeling a bit jealous and i see him all the time?

Perhaps you're at a point where you want someone, saw the potential of someone else having what you want and became jealous, but misidentified the jealousy. I think the 'just feeling left out' bit might have some merit. You need you figure out whether you actually want him or you just want something with someone. Either way, probably inadvisable to get with your flatmate.
Reply 8
Make your mind up if you're going to act on it but if not, don't cockblock him.
i cannot really imagine myself in a relationship with him or even wanting that. pretty certain i wouldn't want to even risk that, he is one of my favourite guys friends. however i think i kind of want to just GET with him or maybe even i just want him to want to get with me but it not to actually happen... i don't even know if he's attracted to me or has similar feelings. i can only imagine it ending messily if something DID happen between us though especially because of my friend who i suspect has feelings towards him.

You don't need to act upon it, I wouldn't just get with him, if you're worried about tension that would be the worse thing you could do.

Like I said I would just live life normally and see where I end up.
Sort of. Proximity is widely recognised in social psychology as promoting liking (but maybe not 'sexual lust'). Look up the mere-exposure effect.
(edited 10 years ago)
Does proximity cause sexual lust?
Have you ever read Flowers in the Attic?
Reply 12
Original post by Slainery
Have you ever read Flowers in the Attic?

no
YES it can and it led me to confessing feelings to a mate who I wasn't all that attracted to anyway ( got pied lol)
no

you should
Reply 15
Original post by Slainery
you should

why?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending