The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Best place for first years to live Huddersfield.

Scroll to see replies

Anyone living in Firth Point starting this year, I'm living there from September
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Original post by Hannah Dewhurst
Anyone living in Firth Point starting this year, I'm living there from September

I'm in Snow Island which is pretty nearby :smile: what you studying?
What ways is Ashenhurst bad then?

Original post by victoriajackson
Do not touch Storthes Hall or Ashenhurst with a barge pole. I'm living at Storthes at the minute and it's just awful, the only advantage to living here is the fact loads of other first years are here as well other than that it's a 15-20 minute bus ride to uni in the morning the buses are always packed in the mornings you're actually lucky to get on one my system is set off for the bus before so if I want to get on the half past bus I set off at 20 past.

The shop on site is really expensive so if you want anything you have to go all the way into town, took me an hour to return a library book. Nearest supermarket that isn't sainsburys is morrisons ( the only one the bus pulls up near) and even then it isn't near you have to carry your bags pretty far from morrisons to the bus stop. Nights out are also harder since you have to get taxis everywhere they have a deal with a taxi rank but it adds up after a while and you have to pay for the bus after certain times (you buy a pass at the beginning of the year which lets you on free at certain times)

The laundrette is awful to get to and most of the dryers don't work, they also have this ridiculous card system where you have to top up your card online - sounds like it's not too bad but it's actually a pain in the backside and it's expensive.

The staff are awful, it can get pretty loud here as well.

Don't get me started on the state of the rooms either, mine are infested with silverfish and they "Call out ecolab" and then tell you nothing is there even though I see them in my bathroom almost daily. Most flats have reported this also.

You're better living nearer to town, UNITE are buliding some brand new ones that will be ready for september 2014 looks like what you'll get what you pay for.

If you have any questions about the uni or anything else about storthes feel free to ask. Can't really comment on the other accommodation places though, I hear mixed things about snow island but it is really close to uni

Also the buses aren't very regular either, every 15 mins in the morning then every half an hour after that and then every hour in the evening. Also hourly on weekends
Original post by partyrockchick
What ways is Ashenhurst bad then?

Ran by the same awful rip off company for a start, 20 minute walk to uni, and really it's not a good place for first years because 80% of them get herded to Storthes. Pretty much a drug filled place, and again so many problems with the state of the houses. Also only 3 washers and dryers to go around everyone who lives there. I will find out more for you but I seriously recommend going to any of the UNITE buildings, snow island or firth point. Plenty of first years and I've not heard of any problems from them.
Oh...do digs not help if students contact them bout it then?...hmm the washer sounds bit tight but suppose its not as big as like storthes...do they not have washers within the "houses"? *just had quick look on site n doesnt look like it* Id have thought with them being bases on houses they would have...and considering snow island and new one of saw mill now, also looking at aspley halls and the castings. Found one called kirkgates residence, but cant find much about them apart from on their webiste?.Thanks :smile:

Ran by the same awful rip off company for a start, 20 minute walk to uni, and really it's not a good place for first years because 80% of them get herded to Storthes. Pretty much a drug filled place, and again so many problems with the state of the houses. Also only 3 washers and dryers to go around everyone who lives there. I will find out more for you but I seriously recommend going to any of the UNITE buildings, snow island or firth point. Plenty of first years and I've not heard of any problems from them.
Oh...do digs not help if students contact them bout it then?...hmm the washer sounds bit tight but suppose its not as big as like storthes...do they not have washers within the "houses"? *just had quick look on site n doesnt look like it* Id have thought with them being bases on houses they would have...and considering snow island and new one of saw mill now, also looking at aspley halls and the castings. Found one called kirkgates residence, but cant find much about them apart from on their webiste?.Thanks :smile:

Even at storthes there's only like 14 for 1400 and there's always a couple broken. No there aren't any machines in the houses. digs don't do anything unless it benefits them, I got ill from damp under my bed (which I didn't know was there) and they tried to blame me for it! You're treated like a child by them when you complain rather than a money paying tenant it's disgusting. Give me a PM and I'll find out as much about the others as I can I know a lot of people who live in them so I can get you a list of pros and cons and then you can decide from there. Really don't want any other student to go through what I have with storthes/digs it has been utterly horrific one problem after another, multiple problems at the same time and they still haven't ridden my room of silverfish -.-
:tongue: yikes! thats like 1 washer to every 100 students?...surely there must be more then that?? n oh :/ do they stay broken long or do they get fixed? as they probably r constantly being used for one so cud be why they break often.....n oh, thats not very good then they definitively shud be treating u better, how did they try to blame you for it? ...also silverfish r common arnt they o.O?

Even at storthes there's only like 14 for 1400 and there's always a couple broken. No there aren't any machines in the houses. digs don't do anything unless it benefits them, I got ill from damp under my bed (which I didn't know was there) and they tried to blame me for it! You're treated like a child by them when you complain rather than a money paying tenant it's disgusting. Give me a PM and I'll find out as much about the others as I can I know a lot of people who live in them so I can get you a list of pros and cons and then you can decide from there. Really don't want any other student to go through what I have with storthes/digs it has been utterly horrific one problem after another, multiple problems at the same time and they still haven't ridden my room of silverfish -.-
:tongue: yikes! thats like 1 washer to every 100 students?...surely there must be more then that?? n oh :/ do they stay broken long or do they get fixed? as they probably r constantly being used for one so cud be why they break often.....n oh, thats not very good then they definitively shud be treating u better, how did they try to blame you for it? ...also silverfish r common arnt they o.O?

Yep 1 washer per 100. There isn't any more than that, they try and fix them but the place is falling apart, the washing machine stink as well and your clothes never really smell clean regardless of whether or not you follow their patronizing guide. No it shouldn't matter that they're constantly being used they are industrial washing machines. Also it's £2.40 per wash and then an extra £1 to dry it's really expensive but then living at storthes makes everything more expensive because you are so far away. Saying I was leaving the shower door open while I had a shower even though my shower faces the window don't know about anyone else but the possibility of someone watching me shower really isn't my cup of tea. I pretty much lost it with them because they had the cheek to turn round and say they'll come round "some point in the week" meanwhile my throat and tonsilis are getting more and more swollen by the day. The doctor actually looked at my throat and tonsils and said "oh my goodness that's a mess" so they installed these stupid vents on my bed it's the wall that needs a vent!

I'd never even heard of silverfish until I came to storthes now the vast majority of people I know have them in their flats. All they care about is making money and they will screw you over in ever way possible if they think it will make them a couple of extra quid.

I could go on and on about cons of storthes but seriously save yourself some stress and hassle and disappointment and avoid it. I only got told about storthes and I really wish I had someone to tell me about the other places, I didn't even like it when viewed it :frown:
Oh, thats no good if ur clothes dont have fresh feeling, suppose at least their clean but would be better if they smelt it as that doesnt help ur confidence if ur clothes dont smell nice, have u tried using lenor or a cheaper fragranced powder/liquid?..
ooh, is slightly expensive, been speaking bout it with my mum n she thinks it will be them taking advantage of distance being so far out...in regards to expensive washing n mini-shop...n yeh, its the distance from town that really bugs me, esp if washing clothes is so difficult there..planning on having look round it this week to see for myself how it looks. n hmm, maybe they thought it needed it on bed more with it affecting ur health?..
n regarding their excuse to blame u with that really is stupid, as who would leave shower door open anyway? water wud be everywhere if u did that, n esp u wudnt if it facing window...doesnt sound like they understand how badly its affecting you..esp if your doctor said ur throat is as bad as that, thats not good. Thanks for the advice and information :smile: hope u gets ur room sorted better when u get back x

Yep 1 washer per 100. There isn't any more than that, they try and fix them but the place is falling apart, the washing machine stink as well and your clothes never really smell clean regardless of whether or not you follow their patronizing guide. No it shouldn't matter that they're constantly being used they are industrial washing machines. Also it's £2.40 per wash and then an extra £1 to dry it's really expensive but then living at storthes makes everything more expensive because you are so far away. Saying I was leaving the shower door open while I had a shower even though my shower faces the window don't know about anyone else but the possibility of someone watching me shower really isn't my cup of tea. I pretty much lost it with them because they had the cheek to turn round and say they'll come round "some point in the week" meanwhile my throat and tonsilis are getting more and more swollen by the day. The doctor actually looked at my throat and tonsils and said "oh my goodness that's a mess" so they installed these stupid vents on my bed it's the wall that needs a vent!

I'd never even heard of silverfish until I came to storthes now the vast majority of people I know have them in their flats. All they care about is making money and they will screw you over in ever way possible if they think it will make them a couple of extra quid.

I could go on and on about cons of storthes but seriously save yourself some stress and hassle and disappointment and avoid it. I only got told about storthes and I really wish I had someone to tell me about the other places, I didn't even like it when viewed it :frown:
Looking at faq for the castings as an example (though they r most expensive out of ones im looking at in general) their washing n drying costs r same but washing 10p dearer..

Reply 30
Looking at faq for the castings as an example (though they r most expensive out of ones im looking at in general) their washing n drying costs r same but washing 10p dearer..

I would recommend not going with the casting, very expensive and had a load of problems with friends of mine booking already. UNITE are really good and close to uni. Staff are also really friendly
Oh, thats no good if ur clothes dont have fresh feeling, suppose at least their clean but would be better if they smelt it as that doesnt help ur confidence if ur clothes dont smell nice, have u tried using lenor or a cheaper fragranced powder/liquid?..
ooh, is slightly expensive, been speaking bout it with my mum n she thinks it will be them taking advantage of distance being so far out...in regards to expensive washing n mini-shop...n yeh, its the distance from town that really bugs me, esp if washing clothes is so difficult there..planning on having look round it this week to see for myself how it looks. n hmm, maybe they thought it needed it on bed more with it affecting ur health?..
n regarding their excuse to blame u with that really is stupid, as who would leave shower door open anyway? water wud be everywhere if u did that, n esp u wudnt if it facing window...doesnt sound like they understand how badly its affecting you..esp if your doctor said ur throat is as bad as that, thats not good. Thanks for the advice and information :smile: hope u gets ur room sorted better when u get back x

I use surf liquid and comfort fabric softener :/ you're not even supposed yo use softener because the washers don't have draws everything goes straight into the drum!
Yeah they do take advantage of that plus the laundrette is ages away if you're in lower hartley you have to walk all the way across the site with it it's really tiresome.
Beware of the tour guides they have a script to tell you and they will not mention anything bad about it and if you ask about damp and stuff they have to tell you it's rumors. I'd be happy to show you around and then you can get a true representation of the places, the show rooms aren't like the rooms you'll get.
Because it's a cabin bed there should be vents on the bed also but to have a building without any vents on the wall is just silly. Oh they understand they just don't care the way they treat you really is disgusting :frown:
Thank you and I hope you find somewhere nice - oh an apparently UNITE give you free fruit? :L

Yeah I've heard castings is really expensive, should be cheaper at the other places especially the UNITE building because they want to compete with storthes for first years. That's where I would have gone had I known it's so close to uni and it's new so there should be no maintenance problems
Oh..o.O....wud of thought they wud have had draws...i think u can put those Arial tablets(like in bubble plastic stuff) in drum?...n they have a script?? suppose its so they dont forget nowt n hmm yeh, did think that, but was thinking if i ask to look at a few different ones n maybe they wud show me not so good one?..though unlikely lol, n yeh could do..will pm about it...n idk...not really heard bout vents on walls..unles u mean like from shower room?...n free fruit? o.O thats random lol, nice, bit random haha, guessing it when u first move in?

I use surf liquid and comfort fabric softener :/ you're not even supposed yo use softener because the washers don't have draws everything goes straight into the drum!
Yeah they do take advantage of that plus the laundrette is ages away if you're in lower hartley you have to walk all the way across the site with it it's really tiresome.
Beware of the tour guides they have a script to tell you and they will not mention anything bad about it and if you ask about damp and stuff they have to tell you it's rumors. I'd be happy to show you around and then you can get a true representation of the places, the show rooms aren't like the rooms you'll get.
Because it's a cabin bed there should be vents on the bed also but to have a building without any vents on the wall is just silly. Oh they understand they just don't care the way they treat you really is disgusting :frown:
Thank you and I hope you find somewhere nice - oh an apparently UNITE give you free fruit? :L
Oh..o.O....wud of thought they wud have had draws...i think u can put those Arial tablets(like in bubble plastic stuff) in drum?...n they have a script?? suppose its so they dont forget nowt n hmm yeh, did think that, but was thinking if i ask to look at a few different ones n maybe they wud show me not so good one?..though unlikely lol, n yeh could do..will pm about it...n idk...not really heard bout vents on walls..unles u mean like from shower room?...n free fruit? o.O thats random lol, nice, bit random haha, guessing it when u first move in?

No the covered them over. Yeah you can and yeah they do heard one girl say "everybody loves it here at storthes they've never had any complaints and everyone always says how much they enjoy it" I turned round and shouted lies :L No they'll show you one room no if you have a look in your house you will have vents around it
oh o.O thats rubbish then, that limits what u can use for washing...wonder why they done that....n lol, bet they loved that what they say to that?...n dya mean like (not sure what they r called) cinder block vents?

No the covered them over. Yeah you can and yeah they do heard one girl say "everybody loves it here at storthes they've never had any complaints and everyone always says how much they enjoy it" I turned round and shouted lies :L No they'll show you one room no if you have a look in your house you will have vents around it
oh o.O thats rubbish then, that limits what u can use for washing...wonder why they done that....n lol, bet they loved that what they say to that?...n dya mean like (not sure what they r called) cinder block vents?

I know, probably because it was another thing to come out and fix and it really does limit what you can use. Hahaha they just gave me a dirty look and ignored me but I heard a lot of questions from people's parents after that asking what I meant. Yep they don't have any of those anywhere
Oh o.O....cant u like see who else in your apartment has issues with the blocked off draw with washer n team up n as a group request them to change it? n haha, i bet :smile: lol...i wud of asked haha

I know, probably because it was another thing to come out and fix and it really does limit what you can use. Hahaha they just gave me a dirty look and ignored me but I heard a lot of questions from people's parents after that asking what I meant. Yep they don't have any of those anywhere
what they said in reply though is different story i suppose :tongue: lol...there will be some apartments that r nice though? surely?...n hmm, they shud have some? just to let fresh air in?
Oh o.O....cant u like see who else in your apartment has issues with the blocked off draw with washer n team up n as a group request them to change it? n haha, i bet :smile: lol...i wud of asked haha

It's a laundrette there are no washing machines in the blocks and they're all like that. Also it doesn't belong to storthes it's a private company and storthes get a share so if you ever want to complain you have to go to circuit and it's a lengthy process. I had a machine charge me for 2 washes and it took me a week to get a refund and they still tried to not give it me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending