The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Best place for first years to live Huddersfield.

Scroll to see replies

Oh o.O i would have thought that storthes owned it lol...yeh, thats a pain in bum then

Original post by victoriajackson
It's a laundrette there are no washing machines in the blocks and they're all like that. Also it doesn't belong to storthes it's a private company and storthes get a share so if you ever want to complain you have to go to circuit and it's a lengthy process. I had a machine charge me for 2 washes and it took me a week to get a refund and they still tried to not give it me.
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Well finally found a mixed review honest opinion video of storthes hall on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCHXzU3Pa88
Reply 42
Unite are definitely worth looking at for accommodation :smile: just mention my name and they will certainly help you out :smile: the number is 08001217387 my names Emma Brown :smile:
Hey, went to look round what seemed like every student accommodation yesterday haha...looked round Kirkgate, Ashenhurst, Aspley, Castings, UNITE - Snow Island and Saw Mill and Storthes Hall...
From looking round id say im going to be choosing between Aspley, Snow Island and Storthes. My favorite is Aspley due to the free swimming pool and gym :biggrin: If i choose snow island, I will, thanks :smile: I think I may choose Aspley though for the amount of different things they have.

Original post by Emma LB
Unite are definitely worth looking at for accommodation :smile: just mention my name and they will certainly help you out :smile: the number is 08001217387 my names Emma Brown :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by partyrockchick
Hey, went to look round what seemed like every student accommodation yesterday haha...looked round Kirkgate, Ashenhurst, Aspley, Castings, UNITE - Snow Island and Saw Mill and Storthes Hall...
From looking round id say im going to be choosing between Aspley, Snow Island and Storthes. My favorite is Aspley due to the free swimming pool and gym :biggrin: If i choose snow island, I will, thanks :smile: I think I may choose Aspley though for the amount of different things they have.

Hi what was the gym like at aspley? was it full of good equipment and is it a reasonable sized gym
I only had a quick look in the gym(idk much about gym equipment lol, but knowing they have the gym is a plus for me esp with it being free to use), its a small gym, but it has quite a few machines plus one or two balance balls and on both left and right hand side there is full wall mirrors.

Original post by A T M
Hi what was the gym like at aspley? was it full of good equipment and is it a reasonable sized gym
Reply 46
I only had a quick look in the gym(idk much about gym equipment lol, but knowing they have the gym is a plus for me esp with it being free to use), its a small gym, but it has quite a few machines plus one or two balance balls and on both left and right hand side there is full wall mirrors.

ah right cool, what was storthes like btw? just wondering if it was disgusting like people say
Well I can only go by when i have seen it which is on the open day and then yesterday as said n what others have said...regarding others some hate it but then others love it n say its the best, i spoke to one lad who lives at ashenhurst while looking round n he said storthes is life of party and he chose not to go there due to the distance..but regarding what i have seen personally it looks quite nice, when i was at the open day the rooms seemed quite small, thought there were like four of us looking round at once...and when i looked round yesterday as it was just me n the tour guide in the room it was actually pretty big and really nice. I asked about damp and how things get fixed and the guide said as long as you let them know of anything that needs doing asap then it will get sorted, but you have to keep in mind that plumbers, electricians etc can only come out in working hours ie 9 till 5...though there are maintenance people on site from 7 am till 7pm at night. If it is a bit late in the day then they will sort it either the next day or day after. If it is a severe thing that needs fixing then they said they would call the emergancy plumbers or whatever owt. They have a mini-supermarket, didnt have a look in it as didnt get chance but i imagine it will be quite expensive in comparison to tesco, but that is to be expected(and ive read students reviews which say it is), the room that she showed me round was in use by a current student so it wasnt like it was set up to look nice, though they probs will have chosen a neater tidyer one obv...the shower is a wetroom rather then a shower with base so thats were some damp may come through(there is a small shower base like ledge at the entrance to the en-suite though), though the lady said if it does then the sealant will need fixing in which case they would sort it and it does have a fan in the bathroom. They also recommend to open the window for a while after you have had a shower as to help vent the room. They have a gym and a washroom. I have a photo of the washroom which i can show you, looked better then i imagined from the reviews though any that were out of order have probably been fixed over the easter. They have a common room within the main entrance which has leather seating and a tv, they also a bar and its own club at storthes.

Original post by A T M
ah right cool, what was storthes like btw? just wondering if it was disgusting like people say
(edited 10 years ago)
I had a look around Ashenhurst as well but personally I really didnt like it there...there were stains on the hallway carpet(idk but hope these would be cleaned over the summer) and the kitchens need a good clean(though it had been used so it may just be that it is like it from use) but looked to me like some was old staining(the kitchen area is to be cleaned by those who are living in the apartment ie the students when its being rented out, there is cleaners which come and clean the toilets though), plus you have to share a bathroom and toilet rather then have en-suite. The bedroom itself looked alright, they come with a raised bed, so room underneath for boxes etc, a wardrobe, sink, desk and shelves. The lad i mentioned earlier also said in regards to living at ashenhurst that he enjoys it and you get what you pay for, basic room, everything. Last year it was fun and lively but been quieter over the past year there.They also have a bus which goes into town, this is a public bus, but you can buy a pass for the year for £15. With storthes hall you can buy a year pass for the shuttle bus for £15 and this covers most journeys apart from late afternoon, evenings where it costs about £1.20 each way.

Original post by A T M
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 49
I had a look around Ashenhurst as well but personally I really didnt like it there...there were stains on the hallway carpet(idk but hope these would be cleaned over the summer) and the kitchens need a good clean(though it had been used so it may just be that it is like it from use) but looked to me like some was old staining(the kitchen area is to be cleaned by those who are living in the apartment ie the students when its being rented out, there is cleaners which come and clean the toilets though), plus you have to share a bathroom and toilet rather then have en-suite. The bedroom itself looked alright, they come with a raised bed, so room underneath for boxes etc, a wardrobe, sink, desk and shelves. The lad i mentioned earlier also said in regards to living at ashenhurst that he enjoys it and you get what you pay for, basic room, everything. Last year it was fun and lively but been quieter over the past year there.They also have a bus which goes into town, this is a public bus, but you can buy a pass for the year for £15. With storthes hall you can buy a year pass for the shuttle bus for £15 and this covers most journeys apart from late afternoon, evenings where it costs about £1.20 each way.

thanks for letting me know! slightly makes my choice easier on which accomidation to choose, still not sure whether to go see the accomidation myself yet
Reply 50
Well I can only go by when i have seen it which is on the open day and then yesterday as said n what others have said...regarding others some hate it but then others love it n say its the best, i spoke to one lad who lives at ashenhurst while looking round n he said storthes is life of party and he chose not to go there due to the distance..but regarding what i have seen personally it looks quite nice, when i was at the open day the rooms seemed quite small, thought there were like four of us looking round at once...and when i looked round yesterday as it was just me n the tour guide in the room it was actually pretty big and really nice. I asked about damp and how things get fixed and the guide said as long as you let them know of anything that needs doing asap then it will get sorted, but you have to keep in mind that plumbers, electricians etc can only come out in working hours ie 9 till 5...though there are maintenance people on site from 7 am till 7pm at night. If it is a bit late in the day then they will sort it either the next day or day after. If it is a severe thing that needs fixing then they said they would call the emergancy plumbers or whatever owt. They have a mini-supermarket, didnt have a look in it as didnt get chance but i imagine it will be quite expensive in comparison to tesco, but that is to be expected(and ive read students reviews which say it is), the room that she showed me round was in use by a current student so it wasnt like it was set up to look nice, though they probs will have chosen a neater tidyer one obv...the shower is a wetroom rather then a shower with base so thats were some damp may come through(there is a small shower base like ledge at the entrance to the en-suite though), though the lady said if it does then the sealant will need fixing in which case they would sort it and it does have a fan in the bathroom. They also recommend to open the window for a while after you have had a shower as to help vent the room. They have a gym and a washroom. I have a photo of the washroom which i can show you, looked better then i imagined from the reviews though any that were out of order have probably been fixed over the easter. They have a common room within the main entrance which has leather seating and a tv, they also a bar and its own club at storthes.

and yeah can you show me the picture just outta curiousity
Will do, will send you a few of pictures i took and let you know which is which...they arnt the best of pictures as was rushing lol...but u can more of an idea hopefully n glad its helping you..personally I would recommend looking round ones your most interested in yourself too to get the best idea of where you want to go as then you can ask them all questions n see rooms n that

Original post by A T M
and yeah can you show me the picture just outta curiousity

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending