The Student Room Group

Should I change to a school leavers programme?

Hey

I am looking for abit of advice and I will try to keep it short.

Basically I started studying accounting and finance at a respectable institution, but I am not enjoying it at all. The course is ok, I do find it interesting, but my lectures and especially my seminar tutors are just terrible. I don't like the location of my uni, it is in the middle of nowhere and I originally come from one of the bigger cities in the the uk and I miss the buzz you get from living in a city. I miss my friends from home, what makes this feel even worse is I am struggling to make friends (I know people will comment to this that its only my second term and you can not make real friends in a 2 terms, but it is really disheartening to see everyone else making good mates). My grades are going down hill. I've never had grades this bad, back in college and high school I was often coming towards the top end of my class, now I am near the bottom which is causing my motivation to plummet and is stressing me out so much.

Sorry I said I would keep it short and I am starting to ramble abit now, what I really want to ask is that would it be worth dropping out of uni and doing a school leavers programme? I know I want a career in accountancy, the only thing I would not know is if I would want to focus on tax or audit.

My next question is would I still even be eligible for school leavers schemes? I know they are targeted at college leavers and I have spent a term and abit at uni, would this be an issue?

Thanks in advance for any replies, any feedback is appreciated.
Reply 1
To be honest, my view on this is that you're too late. School leaver with A-Levels, fine. Graduate with a 2:1 degree or better, fine. University drop out? Looks like you can't finish anything, you might do the same in your training contract, too high risk.

Maybe to try and branch out and meet more people, you could consider a part time job? Maybe even see if you can finish the degree part time and work in the area at the same time (unlikely but you never know)?
Reply 2
Sorry, one other thing you could do is see if you could transfer to another university. No one is likely to hold that against you.
Reply 3
Original post by AW1983
To be honest, my view on this is that you're too late. School leaver with A-Levels, fine. Graduate with a 2:1 degree or better, fine. University drop out? Looks like you can't finish anything, you might do the same in your training contract, too high risk.

Maybe to try and branch out and meet more people, you could consider a part time job? Maybe even see if you can finish the degree part time and work in the area at the same time (unlikely but you never know)?

Heyy, firstly thanks for the reply.

Is this really how people think? That just because I made a mistake in going to Uni I can't finish anything? Surely people can not be that short sighted.

I have tried to get a part time job, but with no luck up to now. However I still pursuing this. And I don't know if I would want to do part time study.I think that would take 6 years? I really would not want to take that long to get a degree.

I have thought about a University transfer, but right now I do not think I am even going to get good enough grades for another Uni to consider taking me on.
Reply 4
As long as you havn't graduated you would still be eligible, if you were to get to interview you may have to answer questions on why you didn't continue, but I don't think everyone would take this as a negative.

Why don't you make contact with some of the companies that offer these schemes and talk through it and see what they say, most of the Big 4 would have a recruitment line or something similar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending