The Student Room Group

Question about A levels and careers.

I’m thinking of taking some distance learning A levels and I would like to know which ones I should take and what careers I should look into. I’m interested in researching, how and why things work and what their affect is. I've always liked shows like mythbusters and Deadliest warrior, but I like the aspect of finding out how things work and why they work whether it’s the weapons in deadliest warrior or the myths in mythbusters. I would just like to know what sort of career areas these interests fall into and what A levels I should look into.
Sorry I know it sound's a bit stupid but I have no Idea what sorts of careers these interests fall into or even if there are any careers that relate to these interests but if someone could shed some light on this then I would relay appreciate it.
Thanks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Really those interests could fit into many careers, and it depends on where your skills and academic interests lie.
Hey!

I've never heard of either of these shows.... so I googled them :smile:

Have you checked out the BIOs of the Mythbuster hosts - this might give you a bit of an idea of where the hosts came from and how they developed their skills.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/bios

Re: The Deadliest Warrior have you thought about a degree in War Studies? http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/history/war.aspx?OpenSection=EntryRequirements

Maybe a mix of the sciences and History would be good A Levels to consider given the shows you watch and the interests that you have... or maybe do a more vocational course at College and go on to do some practical via an apprenticeship.

Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by james238
I’m thinking of taking some distance learning A levels and I would like to know which ones I should take and what careers I should look into. I’m interested in researching, how and why things work and what their affect is. I've always liked shows like mythbusters and Deadliest warrior, but I like the aspect of finding out how things work and why they work whether it’s the weapons in deadliest warrior or the myths in mythbusters. I would just like to know what sort of career areas these interests fall into and what A levels I should look into.
Sorry I know it sound's a bit stupid but I have no Idea what sorts of careers these interests fall into or even if there are any careers that relate to these interests but if someone could shed some light on this then I would relay appreciate it.
Thanks.

It might help if you said a bit about your age and existing qualifications. An access course may be a better option IF you have the academic potential for university level study and just lack entry qualifications. Vocational or apprenticeship routes might be better if you don't think university is the right choice for you.
Reply 4
Thanks for your reply's

Have you checked out the BIOs of the Mythbuster hosts - this might give you a bit of an idea of where the hosts came from and how they developed their skills.

They work in special effects for movie's and commercials, but I don't know how I could get into something like that or anything similar in the uk.

It might help if you said a bit about your age and existing qualifications

I'm 18 (19 in march) And I have GCSE's:
English: (C)
Maths(C)
Science(C)
Additional Science(C)
Business Level 2 Diploma (A A,Distinction)
BETC Construction (CC, Pass)
I.T (C)

Once again thanks for your reply's.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest