The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle Accommodation 2014

I've put Newcastle as my firm. Just looking at which Accommodation will be best. I want self-catered en-suite. I'm thinking Castle Court or Liberty plaza. Any guidance?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is Ricky road going to be available? Opinions and advice on who stays where? Personality wise sort of thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
I was in Windsor Terrace self-catered and was perfectly satisfied with it. Right next to the university library, although the dual carriageway window view took some getting use to. I don't know about Castle Court or Liberty Plaza, but the Richardson Road rooms seem sound enough and take only 5-10 minutes to walk to.

Henderson Hall seems to be the place to avoid because it is a pain in the arse to commute from and they painted the walls vomit yellow.
Reply 3
I've heard ricky road is the place to be for the social side, with a lot of parties etc. But I definitely want an en-suite. Think caste court is looking the best option
Reply 4
I lived in ricky road my first year, couldnt recommend it more. How ensuite is such a big issue is beyond me, sharing with others is part of the experience :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by heebyjeeby
I lived in ricky road my first year, couldnt recommend it more. How ensuite is such a big issue is beyond me, sharing with others is part of the experience :smile:

What kind of people live there is it a certain stereotype or a giant mixture? What's the ratio of gender? And is it at a disadvantage without having a common room etc. or doesn't that matter? Sorry for so many questions I'm definitely wanting Ricky road so just making sure! That is if it's still available next year??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Dp12081994
What kind of people live there is it a certain stereotype or a giant mixture? What's the ratio of gender? And is it at a disadvantage without having a common room etc. or doesn't that matter? Sorry for so many questions I'm definitely wanting Ricky road so just making sure! That is if it's still available next year??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Complete mixture of public/private students, most flats are 3 males/3 females but there is the occasional single sex flats (not common). There are around 25-30 blocks, which each contain 6 flats of 6 (36 to a block), and it is extremely sociable, meaning you will know all of your block inside out within a week.
I was in Ricky Road as well, it's made out to be awful but in reality it's pretty comfortable, and the flats have all been refurbished in the past unlike places like Hendo. Speaking of which, avoid Henderson like the plague.

If you really must have ensuite, pick Castle Court, not Liberty Plaza. They're both close to town, but LP is at the 'wrong end', next to the stadium. Plus uni-managed accommodation is better since you don't have inspections.

Something to also mention is that there is new ensuite halls being built on the campus, Kensington and Park Terrace. It says they will be finished in time for September so that's an option.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
hi, went to the uni last week for an applicant day and stopped with a mate who lives in ricky road. Its not luxury but its cheap and has good atmosphere about the place. My friend was saying he had an email saying ricky road may be knocked down at the end of the academic year
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Emilyalsop
I've heard ricky road is the place to be for the social side, with a lot of parties etc. But I definitely want an en-suite. Think caste court is looking the best option

I'd hate the idea of sharing a bathroom with somebody at university, I'm rather OCD about cleanliness.
Reply 10
Original post by diggy
I'd hate the idea of sharing a bathroom with somebody at university, I'm rather OCD about cleanliness.

100% with this
Reply 11
Anyone know whether Marris House would be a good choice? I've heard that it's essentially the smaller, quieter version of Ricky Road, and since I'm a relatively introverted guy, it sounds like a good fit. Not to mention its closeness to most of the academic buildings! :smile:
I've got an offer from Newcastle for Business Management and I've accepted as my firm choice. Applied for student finance, just need to decide on accommodation now! Don't want to miss out.

When I went up for the open day, I had a look around liberty plaza and I was pretty impressed, do not see the point in getting a deluxe room, it's about 3 steps wider and you get a a slightly bigger bed for an extra £700? No thanks. Wasting good booze money!

Although Liberty Plaza is directly next to St James' Park, can imagine on match days it'd be heaving and it's the most expensive.

Also, I'm not sure you need a 43 week contract. When moving into private for the second year you usually have to pay for part of the Summer and a 43wk contract runs from September to July.

I'm so torn, but I want to hurry up and make a decision! I'd want a lively atmosphere; can't be arsed with people who can't or won't have a laugh and keep to themselves.

I'd ideally like mixed gender with an en suite and I don't want to be taking public transport to the Uni either.

Can anyone give a recommendation?

Original post by littlesteelo
I was in Ricky Road as well, it's made out to be awful but in reality it's pretty comfortable, and the flats have all been refurbished in the past unlike places like Hendo. Speaking of which, avoid Henderson like the plague.

If you really must have ensuite, pick Castle Court, not Liberty Plaza. They're both close to town, but LP is at the 'wrong end', next to the stadium. Plus uni-managed accommodation is better since you don't have inspections.

Something to also mention is that there is new ensuite halls being built on the campus, Kensington and Park Terrace. It says they will be finished in time for September so that's an option.
Reply 13
I'm also struggling, I've accepted newcastle as my firm choice and want a lively atmosphere, heard Ricky Road is the best for that but now that they've built 700+ new rooms throughout the three new halls. I don't want Ricky road to be empty since they've now got too much accommodation which no doubt would take away from the social/lively aspect :frown: didn't want to be anywhere small but I've looked at liberty plaza as an alternative even though I just don't think it will be as good! Want mixed, maybe ensuite but not a necessity and lively, help???
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Lauren1105
I'm also struggling, I've accepted newcastle as my firm choice and want a lively atmosphere, heard Ricky Road is the best for that but now that they've built 700+ new rooms throughout the three new halls. I don't want Ricky road to be empty since they've now got too much accommodation which no doubt would take away from the social/lively aspect :frown: didn't want to be anywhere small but I've looked at liberty plaza as an alternative even though I just don't think it will be as good! Want mixed, maybe ensuite but not a necessity and lively, help???

Highly doubt Ricky Road will be empty considering it's been there for years along with it's 'party house' rep. Stay away from Liberty Plaza, went to a few girls house parties there and other than the hosts there was no interactions with no one else on the floors... pretty dire. Good alternatives are Marris house (a smaller Ricky Road but slightly leaning towards international students from my experience) and Castle Leazes, doesn't have the same atmosphere but it's still nice and has en suites.
Reply 15
I've had a look at the new accommodation and the Park Terrace is now looking favourite. Still pretty cheap and is nicer and bigger than castle leazes
Reply 16
Original post by KawaKawa
Highly doubt Ricky Road will be empty considering it's been there for years along with it's 'party house' rep. Stay away from Liberty Plaza, went to a few girls house parties there and other than the hosts there was no interactions with no one else on the floors... pretty dire. Good alternatives are Marris house (a smaller Ricky Road but slightly leaning towards international students from my experience) and Castle Leazes, doesn't have the same atmosphere but it's still nice and has en suites.

Thanks that's really helpful! Think I'm going to apply to Ricky Road and hope to be in there after all I think I'd rather be in somewhere lively than somewhere posh/nice, Ricky road would definitely be the student experience anyway :smile:
Original post by Lauren1105
Thanks that's really helpful! Think I'm going to apply to Ricky Road and hope to be in there after all I think I'd rather be in somewhere lively than somewhere posh/nice, Ricky road would definitely be the student experience anyway :smile:

Hi, I went to an open day yesterday and talked to a girl who lives in Ricky atm, and she basically said she got an email from the uni saying ricky road is getting demolished next year (dont know if the entire halls or just parts of it)
Reply 18
I've heard it's parts of Ricky Road halls are being demolished. If that's the case spaces will be even more competitive. :/

I'm going to the open day next Wednesday so I'll have a ask around then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by KawaKawa
I've heard it's parts of Ricky Road halls are being demolished. If that's the case spaces will be even more competitive. :/

I'm going to the open day next Wednesday so I'll have a ask around then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have spoken to the accommodations office this afternoon to see if Ricky road is still going to be fully open and she said it wouldn't be getting demolished yet and should be fully used, so hopefully there'll be places there as it's a big site! Never thought I'd be desperate so stay in accommodation that replicates a prison!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest