The Student Room Group

Help with A-level options

Hi,

Any advice regarding help with my choices would be appreciated.

I hope to study economics at university and I am torn with what to chose for A-level. Currently I have decided to opt with Economics, Maths, and Geography but have no idea for a fourth subject. I was thinking either Chemistry or Physics, which would be more appropriate, if either? I am equally interested and as good at each.

Thanks
Reply 1
Hi,

Can't tell you which is more appropriate, but why don't you try speaking to people in the year above you (I am assuming you are in Yr 11) who are doing Chemistry and Physics to find out about the course your school does, and also to the Head of Year/Head of Sixth Form/Careers Adviser about it? Also look at the websites for the universities you are interested in going to (if you know) and any other careers advice/university help websites?

Hope this helps!
I'd definitely recommend further maths
Original post by econam
Hi,

Any advice regarding help with my choices would be appreciated.

I hope to study economics at university and I am torn with what to chose for A-level. Currently I have decided to opt with Economics, Maths, and Geography but have no idea for a fourth subject. I was thinking either Chemistry or Physics, which would be more appropriate, if either? I am equally interested and as good at each.

Thanks

I think both are just as applicable. Physics probably contains more maths but both have a very strong logical component and will be very useful. Have a look at the A Level syllabus and see which you think looks more interesting. A Level Physics and Chemistry are very different from the GCSE course, but Chemistry is completely different.

In terms of the most relevant one out of all options, Further Maths definitely.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
I think both are just as applicable. Physics probably contains more maths but both have a very strong logical component and will be very useful. Have a look at the A Level syllabus and see which you think looks more interesting. A Level Physics and Chemistry are very different from the GCSE course, but Chemistry is completely different.

In terms of the most relevant one out of all options, Further Maths definitely.

Thanks for the reply's.

I understand Further Maths would be useful and it is said to be well liked by the top universities for Economics but Maths isn't my strongest subject and my worry would be passing the subject. Due to it's maths content I was leaning towards physics. Is this advisable? Furthermore, is it possible to take the AS Further Maths course in my A2 year? This would maybe suit me as my Maths knowledge would have improved by that time and then at least I would have learnt part of the course.
Original post by econam
Thanks for the reply's.

I understand Further Maths would be useful and it is said to be well liked by the top universities for Economics but Maths isn't my strongest subject and my worry would be passing the subject. Due to it's maths content I was leaning towards physics. Is this advisable? Furthermore, is it possible to take the AS Further Maths course in my A2 year? This would maybe suit me as my Maths knowledge would have improved by that time and then at least I would have learnt part of the course.

I don't know much about Economics, but I don't think I'm wrong in guessing that it has a huge maths component, so is it really a good idea if maths isn't your strong point?

Physics does have maths in it, but it really isn't particularly advanced and definitely isn't a replacement for Further Maths. It is possible to take AS Further Maths in Year 13, but that would probably mean that you would take 1 fewer A2 (which is not a very good idea).
Reply 6
I don't know much about Economics, but I don't think I'm wrong in guessing that it has a huge maths component, so is it really a good idea if maths isn't your strong point?

Physics does have maths in it, but it really isn't particularly advanced and definitely isn't a replacement for Further Maths. It is possible to take AS Further Maths in Year 13, but that would probably mean that you would take 1 fewer A2 (which is not a very good idea).

Thanks again. My Maths isn't poor, it's just relatively not as good as my other subjects because I seem to find them quite easy and still do well.

How many A2's are advisable? I was told by my school to take four for AS and three for A2 as a university offer would only consist of three grades?
Original post by econam
Thanks again. My Maths isn't poor, it's just relatively not as good as my other subjects because I seem to find them quite easy and still do well.

How many A2's are advisable? I was told by my school to take four for AS and three for A2 as a university offer would only consist of three grades?

Yeah, that's a topic of massive debate. Firstly, it's worth mentioning that it's technically incorrect that your offer will definitely only consist of three grades because some universities do occasionally give out offers on four (e.g. Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, etc). Now, whether or not doing 4 A2 gives you an advantage over 3 is an excellent question and there really isn't a clear answer. The general message from Universities is that doing 3 A2s will not put you at a disadvantage to people doing 4 A2s, but there is a lot of pressure on academically excellent pupils to do 4 simply because they can and because it makes them stand out more.

So really, it depends on you. If you are seriously considering applying to one of the top universities then you should definitely at least take into consideration the idea of taking 4A2s. If not, then it's up to you.
Reply 9
Yeah, that's a topic of massive debate. Firstly, it's worth mentioning that it's technically incorrect that your offer will definitely only consist of three grades because some universities do occasionally give out offers on four (e.g. Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, etc). Now, whether or not doing 4 A2 gives you an advantage over 3 is an excellent question and there really isn't a clear answer. The general message from Universities is that doing 3 A2s will not put you at a disadvantage to people doing 4 A2s, but there is a lot of pressure on academically excellent pupils to do 4 simply because they can and because it makes them stand out more.

So really, it depends on you. If you are seriously considering applying to one of the top universities then you should definitely at least take into consideration the idea of taking 4A2s. If not, then it's up to you.

Ok, thank you for your advice.
Reply 10
Original post by jake4198

Thanks, I'll definitely put more consideration into the subject now.

Quick Reply

Latest