The Student Room Group

Katie Hopkins - "Full time mummy is not an occupation."

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aoide
I agree with her for once. I have nothing against people who have the opportunity to stay at home with their kids (its probably better for the children), but don't pretend it equates to work. It may require time and effort and have its hard moments but it isn't anywhere near as difficult, stressful or boring as having an actual occupation. It may be the thing you do during the day but it's not an occupation.

Do you have kids?
Katie always got that real talk.
Depends on your definition, I don't exactly see it as an occupation, as the word means paid position in my eyes.

Job: A paid position of regular employment.

A task or piece of work, especially one that is paid.

....so I suppose if you didn't define a job as needing payment, then used that in deciding what an occupation is, you could get away with it I guess.

Like I say, I wouldn't call it a job/occupation personally, but there's nothing wrong with doing it. I think what child care a couple has is their business but really if hypothetically (highly unlikely) I earned enough so my partner didn't have to work for us to have a comfortable life, if she wished to, then staying at home to look after children would seem to be a logical thing to do in my view.
Reply 23
Why does she even care if a family can afford it?

She doesn't seem to grasp that families make their own choices based on circumstances, and doesn't understand economics either if she thinks every mum can go into the business world.

Silly cow
I agree with her
Original post by Aoide
I agree with her for once. I have nothing against people who have the opportunity to stay at home with their kids (its probably better for the children), but don't pretend it equates to work. It may require time and effort and have its hard moments but it isn't anywhere near as difficult, stressful or boring as having an actual occupation. It may be the thing you do during the day but it's not an occupation.

do you have kids? have you ever experienced being a stay at home wife/husband/partner?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't understand why this woman is getting so much attention

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by uktotalgamer
Finally, a woman that doesn't make excuses.

No, it is just someone, who has no idea of real life. I can fully understand couples, who want to raise their children on their own, because they say, we do have the money and it is important for us to do so. Then there are a lot of mothers, who cannot act differently, who have to stay at home. Why?
a) Not everyone has the luck to get children, who cause no problems. I know children, who would be, without having a mom caring the whole day for them, would have never been able to reach A Levels or develop normal coordination skills, etc. => Look at the child before you judge the moms! Some children are much tougher business as any office job!
b) No ability to pay for someone else taking care full time while mummy is working. A mother who works, has normally someone taken over their job, wether grandparents, older siblings or PAID employees. => Being a mom is no occupation, being a children nurse/house mom/teacher/etc. are ?!?!
Reply 28
Original post by Maid Marian
I really dislike this woman. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a stay at home mum. I always felt sorry for the kids who had to go to before/after school club. :erm:

But there's absolutely nothing wrong with being a working mum either, which is what 'full time mummy' insinuates.

I hate the term.
Someone give her a punch....
Original post by redferry
But there's absolutely nothing wrong with being a working mum either, which is what 'full time mummy' insinuates.

I hate the term.

Well no, of course there isn't. I just like to point out that, when I was a child, I loved my mum being there all the time: taking and picking me up from school, helping me with my homework, putting me to bed at night.
A working mum wouldn't necessarily have that sort of time to spend with their child.
Reply 31
Well no, of course there isn't. I just like to point out that, when I was a child, I loved my mum being there all the time: taking and picking me up from school, helping me with my homework, putting me to bed at night.
A working mum wouldn't necessarily have that sort of time to spend with their child.

Not all mums have the freedom not to work.

I think the financial support my mum provided has benefitted me far more than spending time with her. I already have enough of her negativity and anxiety god knows what I'd be like if shed stayed home for me!

Not to mention meaning my family are more well off than they would have been. My child benefit went towards supporting me at university.
(edited 10 years ago)
Not all mums have the freedom not to work.

I think the financial support my mum provided has benefitted me far more than spending time with her. I already have enough of her negativity and anxiety god knows what I'd be like if shed stayed home for me!

Not to mention meaning my family are more well off than they would have been. My child benefit went towards supporting me at university.

Actually, my mum did work. She's a nurse who works nights. Therefore, she was with me all day and only left after I'd gone to bed.
Reply 33
Actually, my mum did work. She's a nurse who works nights. Therefore, she was with me all day and only left after I'd gone to bed.

Well she wasn't a 'full time mummy' then was she?

When did she sleep? :eek:
Well she wasn't a 'full time mummy' then was she?

When did she sleep? :eek:

But it felt like she was because she was always there. :redface:

During the day when I was at school :smile:
I think being a full parent is an occupation. While Katie is annoying, I also fine full time parents who criticise working parents for working, equally annoying.

I hate the term.

I don't think full-time mummy means, working moms, would be bas parents, but it is simple logic, that their parenting will differ and that they have to dedicate them to do two things. On the other hand it also depends on the job. Some jobs are much easier to do part-time and using home office, while in other jobs, this will be impossible. Furthermore it depends on the school systems. In countries, where children come home at 5 p.m. working is much easier than if your child has very day different hours or gets home after only four or five hours of school.
Reply 37
But it felt like she was because she was always there. :redface:

During the day when I was at school :smile:

My mum didn't feel like a part time mum to me in any way, both my parents would always be there whenever I needed them. Even if I was often the last one left in after school club.

If you want to stay home with your kid that's fine, but don't pretend children care if their parent works or not because I couldn't have given a crap.

Mum had to give up work on health grounds when my brother was little but I think he needed it because he's adopted and very backwards academically. But then part of me feels he was never really allowed to find his own way and is babied and maybe he'd have done better with more space. He couldn't exactly do any worse bless him.
Reply 38
Original post by Nathanielle
I don't think full-time mummy means, working moms, would be bas parents, but it is simple logic, that their parenting will differ and that they have to dedicate them to do two things. On the other hand it also depends on the job. Some jobs are much easier to do part-time and using home office, while in other jobs, this will be impossible. Furthermore it depends on the school systems. In countries, where children come home at 5 p.m. working is much easier than if your child has very day different hours or gets home after only four or five hours of school.

Just because you work it doesn't make you a part time mother.

There are things called childminders and after school clubs. My parents were and still are amazing parents, and were no less dedicated because they worked until 6pm and after.

My mum was a child social worker when I was growing up and sometimes wouldn't get home til 9pm. I didn't really care and to be honest I think it made me more independent.
My mum didn't feel like a part time mum to me in any way, both my parents would always be there whenever I needed them. Even if I was often the last one left in after school club.

If you want to stay home with your kid that's fine, but don't pretend children care if their parent works or not because I couldn't have given a crap.

Mum had to give up work on health grounds when my brother was little but I think he needed it because he's adopted and very backwards academically. But then part of me feels he was never really allowed to find his own way and is babied and maybe he'd have done better with more space. He couldn't exactly do any worse bless him.

Fair enough. As for the bolded, you might have not given a crap, but I certainly did. Like I said, I always felt sorry when I was little for my friends when they all had to troop off to after school club, whereas my mum picked me up at the gate and took me home to watch telly with me :dontknow:

Original post by Cybele
My mum took me and picked me up from school, helped with homework and put me to bed at night, as well as cooking the tea and keeping the house spotless. She also had a job. It IS possible for a woman to have a career without sacrificing a relationship with their children. I say it's fine to be a stay at home mum if it's what you want and what you can afford, but it's not something I entirely respect.

My mum also had a job, if you read my above posts. She's a nurse who worked nights.

Why isn't it something you respect? If you can afford it, surely that's the best thing for your children?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending