The Student Room Group

Why do people think the NHS is going to be privatised?

I understand the recent reforms have meant that CCGs can commission private healthcare companies. So what does that mean? A larger portion of patients go to private healthcare because it is out competing the NHS? But it is still free for the patient so why does it matter?

Apart from the reforms, why do people think the NHS is being privatised?

Are more of the NHS services charging money? I know it is almost impossible to see a mental health counselor for free. So is that what is meant by privatisation?
(edited 10 years ago)
It's being privatised because of the increasing provision of private services within NHS hospitals. Private contractors are now winning MORE contracts than public providers inside the NHS's internal market that Thatcher created. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25660555

The NHS runs effectively like a business on all levels. It has requirements to meet strict revenue quotas; hospitals face closure if they can't compete in the market.

Also think about this. Since private (paid) services are being offered in the same hospitals as public (free) services, it is very likely the paying patients are being prioritized over the non-paying ones. This challenges the constitution of the NHS, which promises universal care to all for both rich and poor.

Cameron has accelerated this progress. The NHS is under increasing pressure in terms of patients and the demand they bring, yet private companies are sucking money out of the public budget - seemingly justifying claims that the NHS is inefficient and should be completely privatised.
Reply 2
Public or private won't sort out the more fundamental problems within the health service.
Reply 3
Original post by JamesGibson

Cameron has accelerated this progress. The NHS is under increasing pressure in terms of patients and the demand they bring, yet private companies are sucking money out of the public budget - seemingly justifying claims that the NHS is inefficient and should be completely privatised.

I see it as Cameron doing what Blair was not allowed while Prescott and Brown were around.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending