The Student Room Group

BUNAC: Skills??

Hi guys.

I paid for my £50 BUNAC deposit in December and had my interview in the same month. Tbh the interview made me feel totally out of my depth. I got asked qs on what sport skills I had and what experience I had in teaching them. The person interviewing said that without any experience I would be highly unlikely to get a placement.

What I'm trying to ask is, should I still go ahead with getting a placement (bearing in mind I have no special skills to offer) or should I just give up? Are there positions to be a general counselor which is confined to helping out with general tasks?
Reply 1
Is there a better forum on TSR to post this on? :smile:
Reply 2
Hey,

i think I could help here - I went to summer camp with BUNAC, couple of summers ago. I taught tennis and didn't really have that much experience in doing so. I wasn't placed until April so I was starting to freak out that I wouldn't get placed at all. I would advise hanging on a bit longer, but maybe look at alternatives just in case. I know BUNAC does a work america programme as well which I've heard is really fun and worthwhile!

http://www.bunac.org/uk/work-abroad/work-america

good luck with your application, and any questions just ask me on here, Jim x
Reply 3
Original post by ChuckMe
Hi guys.

I paid for my £50 BUNAC deposit in December and had my interview in the same month. Tbh the interview made me feel totally out of my depth. I got asked qs on what sport skills I had and what experience I had in teaching them. The person interviewing said that without any experience I would be highly unlikely to get a placement.

What I'm trying to ask is, should I still go ahead with getting a placement (bearing in mind I have no special skills to offer) or should I just give up? Are there positions to be a general counselor which is confined to helping out with general tasks?

i had this same problem last summer, was going to do summer camp but didnt really have the experience to do it. Ended up doing work America with BUNAC instead and had the most incredible summer and i still got to travel on days off/ after finished! might be worth checking it out if you want a summer abroad but not sure if you can do the camps?

Quick Reply

Latest