The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Language and Culture at UCL

Hey :smile: I was just wondering if anyone has applied to this course, or any language degree? I'm doing French post A-level and Russian ab initio.... really hope I get an offer!!! Has anyone had an offer, if so, what grades? It's the only university I haven't heard off so stressing out a bit! Also, does anyone know the applicant to places ratio?
Reply 1
Original post by chloe17
Hey :smile: I was just wondering if anyone has applied to this course, or any language degree? I'm doing French post A-level and Russian ab initio.... really hope I get an offer!!! Has anyone had an offer, if so, what grades? It's the only university I haven't heard off so stressing out a bit! Also, does anyone know the applicant to places ratio?

Hey there! I applied for Language and Culture too (major language Spanish and minor, French)

Got a conditional offer of AAB about 3 weeks ago - was such a nervous wait, but I'm so surprised/glad I wasn't called in for an interview!
No idea about the applicant to places ratio I'm afraid, but hope this is somewhat helpful..!?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by suriyahr
Hey there! I applied for Language and Culture too (major language Spanish and minor, French)

Got a conditional offer of AAB about 3 weeks ago - was such a nervous wait, but I'm so surprised/glad I wasn't called in for an interview!
No idea about the applicant to places ratio I'm afraid, but hope this is somewhat helpful..!?
well done! That's good how you didn't have an interview!! What are your predicted grades??
Reply 3
Thanks! I'm predicted A*AA
Reply 4
Hiya, I am a third year Language and Culture student :smile: If you have any questions about UCL, the course, Spanish post-A-level or Arabic or Romanian ab-initio, let me know.

Here is what SELCS says:

"The ratio of applicants to place across SELCS is approximately 9 applications for every place available. The rate differs across the School's programmes, and can also fluctuate from year-to-year. Although this statistic can seem very daunting, as long as you are predicted, or have achieved, the relevant entry requirements then you are eligible to be considered for a place and should not be put off making an application."
Reply 5
Thanks! I'm predicted A*AA

I'm only one behind you with a*ab so finger crossed!
Reply 6
Original post by Ivanka
Hiya, I am a third year Language and Culture student :smile: If you have any questions about UCL, the course, Spanish post-A-level or Arabic or Romanian ab-initio, let me know.

Here is what SELCS says:

"The ratio of applicants to place across SELCS is approximately 9 applications for every place available. The rate differs across the School's programmes, and can also fluctuate from year-to-year. Although this statistic can seem very daunting, as long as you are predicted, or have achieved, the relevant entry requirements then you are eligible to be considered for a place and should not be put off making an application."

Ah thank you that's very helpful!

I was just wondering is the course a popular one/ about how many students? Also how many hours in lecture, seminars etc? And did you have an interview when you applied, if so, what was it like? Sorry so many questions :')
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by chloe17
Ah thank you that's very helpful!

I was just wondering is the course a popular one/ about how many students? Also how many hours in lecture, seminars etc? And did you have an interview when you applied, if so, what was it like? Sorry so many questions :')

In my year, there between 15 and 20 students, don't remember exactly. So it's very small.

Your hours spent in lectures and seminars depend on what courses you select. For instance, my timetable in the first and second years looked like this:

1st year, 1st term:
2 hours of Language, Culture, Representation
3 hours of Spanish Language (1 comprehension class, 1 oral class and 1 grammar class)
2 hours of Introduction to Modern Latin American Literature and Culture
4 hours of Arabic Language
2 hours of Introduction to the Study of Language

1st year, 2nd term:
3 hours of Spanish Language (1 prose (translation from English to Spanish) class, 1 oral class and 1 grammar class)

2nd year, 1st term:
3 hours of Spanish Language (1 prose class, 1 oral class and 1 grammar class)
5 hours of Romanian Language
2 hours of Historical Linguistics
2 hours of Modern Art and Mass Culture

2nd year, 2nd term:
3 hours of Spanish Language (1 comprehension class, 1 oral class and 1 grammar class)
2 hours of Galdós and Pardo Bazán (a course on Spanish realism)
2 hours of Introduction to European Thought

As for the interview, I have no clue, i didn't have any :wink: Thjose who live abroad do not need to attend them.
Reply 8
Original post by Ivanka
In my year, there between 15 and 20 students, don't remember exactly. So it's very small.

Your hours spent in lectures and seminars depend on what courses you select. For instance, my timetable in the first and second years looked like this:

1st year, 1st term:

1st year, 2nd term:
3 hours of Spanish Language (1 prose (translation from English to Spanish) class, 1 oral class and 1 grammar class)

2nd year, 1st term:

2nd year, 2nd term:

As for the interview, I have no clue, i didn't have any :wink: Thjose who live abroad do not need to attend them.

Thank you that is so helpful! I quite like the fact there's so few students, but that's my personal preference. How's your third year going?
Reply 9
Original post by Ivanka

1st year, 1st term:

1st year, 2nd term:

2nd year, 1st term:

2nd year, 2nd term:

Wow that is small!! Really hope I can get an offer :/
Reply 10
Thank you that is so helpful! I quite like the fact there's so few students, but that's my personal preference. How's your third year going?

Fairly well, I'm in Granada, which means that I have exams now, the first time in my life I have exams in winter. Otherwise, I have lots of free time compared to my studies at UCL, so I do my best to travel around a bit.
Reply 11
Original post by Ivanka

Here is what SELCS says:

Hi! I just got a conditional offer for Language and Culture for a major in French and minor in Arabic. I was wondering if you knew the differences between the French and an Asian or African Language course and Language and Culture? Additionally, what exactly do you learn in language, culture and representation? and finally what are you doing for your year broad?
Reply 12
Original post by Ivanka
Fairly well, I'm in Granada, which means that I have exams now, the first time in my life I have exams in winter. Otherwise, I have lots of free time compared to my studies at UCL, so I do my best to travel around a bit.

Wow, sounds interesting! I know it's quite a way off but because I want to major in Spanish I have no idea where I should choose to go for my third year - would you suggest Granada, what's it like there? The free time sounds good! And how long are you in Spain for?
Reply 13
Original post by alzia7188
Hi! I just got a conditional offer for Language and Culture for a major in French and minor in Arabic. I was wondering if you knew the differences between the French and an Asian or African Language course and Language and Culture? Additionally, what exactly do you learn in language, culture and representation? and finally what are you doing for your year broad?

With regards to the differences, you are better off consulting the UCL pages, I have no clue about French and anything else. I just suppose they don't have Language, Culture and Representation and a course choice flexibility.

In the core course, we covered several disciplines related to cultural identification, such as linguistics, cultural studies, translation studies, gender studies and maybe I have forgotten something... It is taught by Federica Mazzara, but other speakers come in occasionally as well.

During our year abroad, we have to study at a unviersity (mostly of our choice) in a country where our main language is spoken. Apart from completing classes at that university, you also have to write a year abroad project up to 6,000 words in your main language. Maybe you'll be luckier in a way that you could do a placement or language assistantship, but my year in my course wasn't allowed to :frown:

Wow, sounds interesting! I know it's quite a way off but because I want to major in Spanish I have no idea where I should choose to go for my third year - would you suggest Granada, what's it like there? The free time sounds good! And how long are you in Spain for?

Granada is beautiful with its Moorish presence and mostly warm weather (we had pleasant temperatures until mid-November). It's well connected with the rest of Spain and some other countries as well (direct flights to Madrid, Barcelona, Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura, Melilla, London and Paris, bus connections with Madrid, Barcelona, Málaga, Sevilla, Portuguese cities, Moroccan cities and so forth). If you like travelling, it's a great destination :wink: I'm staying in Granada until mid-June when my exams finish.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
I have an offer of AAB yaaaaay :biggrin:
Reply 15
Hey :smile: I got an offer of AAB for Russian ab initio only 3 days days after they received my application in November, which I thought was amazingly fast. In the prospectus it says that there are roughly 9 or 10 applicants per place so it isn't too competitive.
Reply 16
Original post by Hestia96
Hey :smile: I got an offer of AAB for Russian ab initio only 3 days days after they received my application in November, which I thought was amazingly fast. In the prospectus it says that there are roughly 9 or 10 applicants per place so it isn't too competitive.

What do you mean by ab initio? I was never asked to specify which level I wanted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending