The Student Room Group

Do universities consider how many sittings it took to complete your A levels?

Hi, I just gave my AS exams this Jan.. and was thinking about sitting for Maths C34, M1 and Economics Unit 4 this May. I have four subjects, Maths, Eco, Physics and Chem, and after going through the A2 books, I feel like I need to study harder for Physics and Chem while Maths and Economics seems easy enough. It might be difficult for me to prepare for all four subjects' A2 in Jan 15, so I want to reduce the pressure by sitting for Maths and Economics in May 14. Will universities consider it a minus point when considering my application, assuming I don't re-sit any unit and complete my A Levels in two years? Will it be better if I just sit for all my A2's in Jan 15, or does that not matter at all as long as I come up with good grades?

Also, I'm doing IAL, not Edexcel GCE's... so yes, we are allowed to sit for exams in January sessions. I am planning on applying to universities for a scholarship, so knowing how competitive it is, what do you guys suggest?
Taking A2s early isn't a problem in itself - but you do need to be realistic about the amount of work you take on. There is no point in taking them early and getting bad grades (and then having to retake them ... which many 'top' Unis just won't accept).
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
Taking A2s early isn't a problem in itself - but you do need to be realistic about the amount of work you take on. There is no point in taking them early and getting bad grades (and then having to retake them ... which many 'top' Unis just won't accept).

Agreed. It's just that, I feel with Physics and Chemistry A2 content, I might not be able to devote as much time to Eco and Maths as I would like... so it might be better to divide the sittings. I'm not taking all my units in May - just C34, M1 and Economics Unit 4. I finished M1 once before, so that won't be a problem. Economics Unit 4 seems to be related to Unit 2, which I just sat for this month. I do agree with what you say, so I haven't fully decided anything yet. Registration's not till March, so I'll talk to my teachers about my progress then, and see if I'm ready to sit for the exams. I won't do anything until I'm absolutely confident. :smile: But my point is, when universities see that I've divided my A levels into three sittings (assuming no repeats), will that be an issue?

Quick Reply

Latest