The Student Room Group

The hard work isn't paying off

Hi all-

I'm a third year English Lit student in my final semester.

Throughout my educational career- school, sixth form, university- I have worked extremely hard, making sure that I do all the work that I'm set and more. I'm certainly ambitious and have aimed for the top grades all the time. At school, I was really happy with my grades; I got 7 A's & 4 B's at GCSE and got ABB at A-Level.

However, since coming to uni, things have dramatically changed.

I love my course, I love all the reading we're set, and I love going to seminars and getting stuck in to class debate. However, my grades simply don't reflect all the hard work I'm doing. The large majority of my grades are high 2:2's, and when I'm working as hard as I can, whilst trying to balance a part-time job and being able to see friends and family, it is the most frustrating thing ever.

I always make sure I go to my tutors for feedback, and sometimes I'm able to see where I've gone wrong. I've got all of my 'points for improvement' written down and refer to them when writing a new essay, telling myself I'll do better this time, but... no.

Going into my final semester I am so demotivated, and although I only need 63% on my remaining modules, I'm sick of telling myself 'I can do it' because I never seem to improve. So I'm not very hopeful.

I dread employers thinking that I'm a lazy good-for-nothing if I happen to get a 2:2, because I am far from it. A lot of people have said to me that because English is a good, traditional degree, it may not matter so much.

I'm trying my best and I don't know what else to do.

If anyone is/was in the same predicament as me, please leave a message!
Firstly, getting a 2:2 is not a disaster. Yes, some graduate schemes and post-grad options normally require a 2:1 or above, but plenty of employers will employ you with a 2:2. There are other ways to make yourself more employable- for example getting lots of relevant experience. They won't think you're lazy or useless just because you have a 2:2!

If you know where you are going wrong, is it mostly down to structure or content?

Do you think you can use your dissertation or final exams to help pull up your grade?

Try not to get demotivated- even if you come out with a 2:2 that is still an achievement. I think at this stage of 3rd year, a lot of people start getting burnt out or feeling demotivated, but it's just a few more months, and then it will all be over...

Quick Reply

Latest