The Student Room Group

Views on abortion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ManifoldManifest
You'd still expect them to treat you though, wouldn't you, without saying "Oh, medical care is only available if someone else forced this injury on you,"? And you'd be right in doing so.

People are not perfectly rational actors and do mistake. If we have the ability to compassionately help people rectify their mistakes we should do so, whether that mistake be drinking more than they should one night and bashing their head or getting pregnant.

Well to be fair I've not been in a state to be falling down drunk in about 2 years,

Have been having a bit of an unlucky week though, first I broke my glasses beyond repair then went to the dentist and needed a filling,both of which I had to pay for. £250+ I'd much rather have spent elsewhere, but I don't feel particularly aggrieved.....only got myself to blame.

and in future I'll be more carful with my specs and lay off the sugary drinks.
Now if it'd all being paid for with tax money maybe that wouldn't be the case,
as you say people are not perfectly rational actors.

So compassion is a funny thing
Reply 41
Original post by Messalina
What like these people? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9257070/Women-finding-access-to-contraception-difficult.html

It is not as simple as "use contraception". Some women do not have access to contraception. Some women are not educated about contraception and where/how to get it. Some women are made pregnant by force (rape). And some women just don't want to have a baby. Whether you like it or not, there are 50 million abortions a year. They are not going away. Making them illegal will not make women stop seeking them, it will just make it more dangerous for those women to have them.

The ONLY solution is accessible, safe abortion and contraceptive access. Seeking to deny women autonomy over their bodies (or attempting to shame them for their choices) is nothing short of hateful.

I don't hate anyone. I just hate the fact that foetuses are murdered.
Pro-choice now and forever.
Original post by That Bearded Man
Interesting point, if a child was diagnosed while in the womb for instance, I would still argue that if this is limiting the parents ability to raise it, then they should still have the choice.

The example of I was thinking about was more "no, no, I don't want a daughter, I want a son" Hence they abort due to gender. Which would be very worrying.

On your first point. Humans are natural organisms, and 'disorders' (or whatever you call them) are natural and they do happen. When you commit to have a child, you in turn commit to loving that child you're going to have. You thereby must accept the fact that, whilst you have every right to hope that your child is 'normal', there is a chance that your child will require more maintenance. If you are not in the position to love your child indiscriminately and do whatever you can to make their lives worth living then you should not, in my view, have a child in the first place.

And yes, the gender argument is basically exactly the same as the whole disability argument I made. The interesting thing about that is that it's actually happening at the moment (or in the recent past) in China, where there was a strong economic incentive for parents to have boys due to the one child policy and lots of unborn girls were being 'aborted' (or murdered, depending how you look at it).
Original post by xForeverx
I don't hate anyone. I just hate the fact that foetuses are murdered.

"Murdered" is subjective. It can't survive outside of the mother's body, and if the mother doesn't want it in there, she has every right to remove it. Can't be bothered to descend into a pro-life vs pro-choice argument too long.
Reply 45
Original post by GeorgieGee
In my opinion, if you are old enough to make the choice to have sex, you are old enough to know how to prevent against unwanted pregnancies. Abortion is not/should not be seen as a birth control method.

As far as the recent disgusting reports of people having abortions because of the gender of their baby, this sickens me. Who are we to choose whether someone lives or dies?

In the case of rape victims, I do think that is the only situation where abortion is acceptable, but I would pray that the woman would consider having her baby and offering it up for adoption. So many people in this world could love and care for a baby, and for whatever reason can't.

I really don't think that being unable to provide a good life for your baby is an acceptable excuse, there are thousands of couples who happily would.

I am undecided as far as disability goes, the 'mermaid girl' mentioned above, she still lived a happy and loved life, even if a little short? Anyones life could end tomorrow for any reason, does that mean because you only lived to late teens that you might as well have never been born? With disability, it's all relative to severity and possible quality of life. If someone wants a child, the length of time they get with their child should not be a deciding factor, rather the happiness that child brings, even for a small period of time.

Very interesting indeed.
But what about the care that has to be provided to the child in order for them to survive? It's exhausting to care about a child whilst you're alive as a parent, but whose responsibility and how and by who would the child be looked after you die?
And indeed anything can happen, but knowing that my child has high probability of dying is upsetting. If your child was healthy and all but was over-run by car or something that's totally different. You didn't see it coming, but when you see the future: death of your child coming already, how are you supposed to live with all that guilt knowing?!
Reply 46
Quick point on the topic of rape victims.

Given that a large proportion of rape cases never make it to trial and for those that do the conviction rate is extremely low (for a variety of reasons including the crime being hard to prove), if abortion were only allowed to "rape victims" a large proportion of those who have actually been raped and got pregnant would still be forced to give birth or else seek a dangerous backstreet abortion.
Reply 47
Original post by GeorgieGee
x

Original post by flown_muse
Right, 'cause there are masses queuing up waiting for babies, yeah? It's not like there are thousands of children in the adoption system who haven't been adopted, eh? :rolleyes:

This. There are many 'normal' children who are still waiting to be adopted; who'd want to go through all the effort, long paper works etc to adopt someone with a disability? Surprisingly, few people; but that's a tiny tiny proportion of such willing minds.
Original post by LadyEcliptic

I found that very hard hitting. It bugs me to see girls carelessly get pregnant (and I know in some cases, it can be rape) but it annoys me when they get pregnant, abort the baby when there are hundreds of desperate parents trying and failing to have children.

I personally would not like to go through it myself, honestly, living with the guilt of knowing you have essentially, terminated a living person, that could be a possible genius child who is the key to curing something, maybe not.

I think it's entirely up the the person but if you are careless enough to get pregnant well then, that's your problem.

So you think that a 15 year old who go pregnant should be forced to having the baby. Ruining both her life (she would miss out on education) and the babies life is hardly going to be the best if the mother didn't really want it. So instead of an abortion 2 people live ****ty lives.

An on the topic of "that could be a possible genius child who is the key to curing something" every time a girl has her period she loses an egg . Should women be constantly pregnant as not miss out on the chance that that egg might become the child that cures cancer or something?
Reply 49
Pro-abortion
Pro-euthanasia
Pro-suicide
Anti-death penalty
Pro-killing in war.
Reply 50
Morally I believe it is wrong as it's murder.

Pragmatically I don't think it should be banned because it will go to back street abortions.

People should be more aware that they are handling a potential life and shouldn't disregard the pre-born like it's yesterday's rubbish.
Original post by Triple-Sod
.....Calm down Sir Lancelot.

Somebody call the pertinence police.
Reply 52
I'm 100% pro-choice, and wouldn't take away a woman's right to control over her own body.

In terms of the 15 year olds getting pregnant, I'd blame that on improper sex education, or lack of it. If I think back to my own sex education talk, I'm not surprised there were girls in my secondary school classes falling pregnant and needing abortions, they didn't teach us stuff. I've never come across attitudes that scream 'I'll use abortion as a form of contraception,' more just situations that read of young girls going 'I thought you couldn't fall pregnant on your first time' or 'I thought we'd be alright if he pulled out.'
Reply 53
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Morally I believe it is wrong as it's murder.

Pragmatically I don't think it should be banned because it will go to back street abortions.

People should be more aware that they are handling a potential life and shouldn't disregard the pre-born like it's yesterday's rubbish.

Why should only the prospect of life be something to be held to be sacred? I don't understand the argument of not stopping a life on the basis that it would otherwise exist :K:

For that matter, why exactly is murder wrong? That might seem like a ridiculous question at first but I think it'd help clear up your reason for why abortion is also wrong and can be called murder. :smile:
Against it. Always will be. Unless there's a risk to the mothers health or the pregnancy is the result of rape.
What I do believe is this is one subject on which men should simply not be permitted to judge, comment, vote or legislate at all.
Reply 56
Pro choice.
100% pro-choice without a doubt, it sickens me that in some places women are forced to have unwanted babies, that's not good for anyone involved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 58
I don't see human foetuses as more worthy of ethical consideration than animals. Animals are known to be able to suffer and feel pain; foetuses younger than 24 weeks seemingly cannot. Abortions are unpalatable, but not in my opinion immoral. If pro-life people care about reducing suffering in the world, they would be better to become vegetarian than oppose abortions.
Reply 59
Original post by Old_Simon
What I do believe is this is one subject on which men should simply not be permitted to judge, comment, vote or legislate at all.

And in the same breath would you say that anybody who isn't an Asian male shouldn't be allowed to vote on abolishing racial profiling for potential terrorists?

Quick Reply

Latest