The Student Room Group

Is it worth studying in Scotland?

I'm an English student, with the added expense of fees, is it worth going to a Scottish university.

Also this list seems to suggest that Scottish universities are not as well regarded
http://www.buzzfeed.com/georgepitt/20-reasons-why-england-is-better-than-scotland-j74q

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Based on the fact that the article is a tad on the racist side, I'd say theres nothing in it to base any real opinions of. Also, you will only pay extra fees if you go to Edinburgh or St Andrews as all the other universities in Scotland have some kind of thing where you only pay a max of Β£27,000 (Same as a 3-year degree at an English university charging Β£9,000 a year) It all depends on what sort of university experience you want If you would be better at a Scottish university. Some courses in Scotland will also let you enter straight into 2nd year if you do good enough in your A-levels so thats a thing to think about.
Reply 2
Sure, St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Glasgow and Dundee are totally not well regarded universities ...
You're basing your opinion of Scottish universities on.. a buzzfeed article?

I've heard it all now!
Reply 4
Original post by TattyBoJangles
You're basing your opinion of Scottish universities on.. a buzzfeed article?

An article claiming the English invented the computer and Buckingham Palace is actually a nice piece of architecture :biggrin:
Original post by Sir Fox
Sure, St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Glasgow and Dundee are totally not well regarded universities ...

hardly oxford, cambridge, l.s.e, u.c.l, imperial etc
Original post by Sir Fox
An article claiming the English invented the computer and Buckingham Palace is actually a nice piece of architecture :biggrin:

well i suppose as tenuous as the Scots claiming they invented the TV.... and it beats Edinburgh castle
Reply 7
Original post by sambennett1234

So what? How does that mean it's not worth coming to Scotland for studies for those who wouldn't get into those anyway? Or those who just want to study somewhere else. Warwick isn't Cambridge either - still people studying there.

well i suppose as tenuous as the Scots claiming they invented the TV.... and it beats Edinburgh castle

Then please tell me how John Logie Baird didn't demonstrate the first, albeit very simple, form of television.
Original post by Sir Fox
So what? How does that mean it's not worth coming to Scotland for studies for those who wouldn't get into those anyway? Or those who just want to study somewhere else. Warwick isn't Cambridge either - still people studying there.

Then please tell me how John Logie Baird didn't demonstrate the first, albeit very simple, form of television.

No I was just making the point that they are not world renowned.

The word 'invention' implies that it was both the idea, as well as being able to demonstrate it. Baird used the ideas and designs of various other contributors. To label him simply as the 'inventor of T.V' is just stupid. In the same way, the English claim to have invented the computer (i'm guessing through Alan Turing), so yes I believe the Scots claim to have invented TV is equally as tenuous.
Reply 9
Well, that escalated quickly... :biggrin:
Reply 10
I would put Edinburgh and St Andrews up there with the London universities... I got an offer from UCL and turned it down for a Scottish university because I preferred the city, university, course, student life, etc. It has great job prospects and is a very good university. And Cambridge and Oxford are the best universities in the world, does that mean that Durham, Bristol and Warwick are all crap as well?

No I was just making the point that they are not world renowned.

What a silly statement to make... If you actually knew anything about some of the Scottish universities you would know this isn't true. Glasgow, St Andrews and Edinburgh have educated many politicians, scientists, authors etc. Edinburgh has the third largest endowment in the UK, the third largest amount of applications and rejects thousands of well qualified applicants. Glasgow and St Andrews are extremely popular and have seriously high entry requirements. I doubt saying anything to prove that these universities are world renowned would convince you anyway. It seems you just came to this thread to bash Scottish universities, and if that is the case you should probably just attend university in England.

You are comparing a country of 5 million to a country of 50 million. You shouldn't be surprised. Besides, Edinburgh as a university is up there with UCL, Imperial and Kings. Edinburgh has educated more than half of the famous physicians in the UK, it has educated 2 currently sitting supreme court justices, 3 prime ministers and its ranked 17th in the world.

With an attitude like yours, don't bother coming, none of the Scottish universities would want you.
Original post by ukmed108
You are comparing a country of 5 million to a country of 50 million. You shouldn't be surprised. Besides, Edinburgh as a university is up there with UCL, Imperial and Kings. Edinburgh has educated more than half of the famous physicians in the UK, it has educated 2 currently sitting supreme court justices, 3 prime ministers and its ranked 17th in the world.

With an attitude like yours, don't bother coming, none of the Scottish universities would want you.

Don't worry, I rejected my place at Edinburgh, sinking ship in my view. The prospect of independence doesn't help either in terms of how universities are regarded.

The old population argument. Scotland's answer for everything. With that argument, China and India should dominate university rankings. Yawn
Reply 14
Original post by qno2
Based on the fact that the article is a tad on the racist side, I'd say theres nothing in it to base any real opinions of. Also, you will only pay extra fees if you go to Edinburgh or St Andrews as all the other universities in Scotland have some kind of thing where you only pay a max of Β£27,000 (Same as a 3-year degree at an English university charging Β£9,000 a year) It all depends on what sort of university experience you want If you would be better at a Scottish university. Some courses in Scotland will also let you enter straight into 2nd year if you do good enough in your A-levels so thats a thing to think about.

What evidence do you have to support that theory?
Don't worry, I rejected my place at Edinburgh, sinking ship in my view. The prospect of independence doesn't help either in terms of how universities are regarded.

Independence will not affect the university reputation one jot, and I'm saying that as an Englishman who did his undergrad and currently PhD at St Andrews.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not to mention that St Andrews rates in the top 5 of most UK university guides on a regular basis. On a departmental basis it sometimes beats Oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Not to mention that St Andrews rates in the top 5 of most UK university guides on a regular basis. On a departmental basis it sometimes beats Oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Says the student studying at St. Andrews....
Says the student studying at St. Andrews....

Look it up for yourself. One of the best universities in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We have a troll here. In all likelihood he doesn't even have an acceptance letter to any of these universities, he's just here to incite an idiotic debate about England v Scotland. Lets all do him a favor and stop debating a troll.

Quick Reply

Latest