The Student Room Group

I'm completely torn on unis

So I'm taking Drama and English at uni and have had my heart set on the University of Kent for ages. However today I'm at the University of Hull and I've fallen in love with it.

The drama department seems so warm and I like more of the modules than at Kent. I still really like Kent and I haven't went on a full tour yet but I'm liking Hull more at present. The problem is Hull is like 53 on the league tables so I'm worried about how it'll effect my future. Kent is like 28 I think. I'm so torn.
You've got til May to make this decision. Visit Kent, research more into the content of both courses, talk to current students from both courses, ask awkward questions, maybe do some research into the companies/employers you might want to work for and whether they use league tables in recruitment (hint: almost noone does :wink:), ask both unis about where graduates of the course you're interested in ended up to see if there might be contacts to be made etc etc.

Take your time, decide where you'll be happiest.
Can you use one university as your firm and the other as your insurance?

Take your time making the decision. You need to make a decision that's right for you, not just based on league tables- which regularly change and are pretty meaningless anyway. It's much more important to focus on getting good grades in your degree and good experience whilst at university if you're worried about employability.

I'm guessing Kent is closer to your home, and Hull is further away? This is something to think about- how often would you want to travel home? On the other hand, it may well be cheaper to rent in Hull than in Kent, so that is an advantage.

I agree that visiting Kent again may be a good idea.
Reply 3
Original post by EllieC130
So I'm taking Drama and English at uni and have had my heart set on the University of Kent for ages. However today I'm at the University of Hull and I've fallen in love with it.

The drama department seems so warm and I like more of the modules than at Kent. I still really like Kent and I haven't went on a full tour yet but I'm liking Hull more at present. The problem is Hull is like 53 on the league tables so I'm worried about how it'll effect my future. Kent is like 28 I think. I'm so torn.

It's so not worth making this decision based on league tables, for some reason it's made out to be a massive deal when I've never seen it be an issue that's ever arisen in discussions outside of the internet. (Mostly TSR) Regardless of where you go, your final grades are what are going to determine job prospects after you leave.

Module content is vastly more important, if you're more interested in specific modules, go for them, and you'll be more likely to get higher grades where you have a real drive and interest. I put the University of Kent down as my firm, as it was much higher than my insurance in league tables terms, when I went and saw the university, I personally didn't enjoy it, and have been eternally pleased I went to my insurance, where I've really enjoyed myself and adored the modules I studied.
Hull is a great university in a great city (but I may be biased as my family live there) however seriously hull is a very respectable red brick university, which is well respected my employers. My dad went there and he is now a professor at leeds university so it can't be all bad!
Reply 5

I had this issue too but i kept revisiting as much as i could. Remember you can choose a firm and insurance choice and still accept the insurance. Yes look on the rankings as these take everything into consideration. But its also about where you will be happy. Look at the location(do you want to be close to home or not? Is it a nice place? Crime rates? Do you want a city or small town?). Also maybe consider staff which you seem to have done, resources i.e the department, library etc.

dont worry about it affecting your future because most employers just want a good degree and dont really mind what uni you have been to :smile:
Reply 6

League tables can be unreliable, Hull isn't that bad. Decide what you like better in terms of location etc. and you'll be fine:smile:
Reply 7
League tables take things into account that aren't really important (like entry standards, if the course is absolutely amazing and everyone these is very happy and has great job prospects why give it less points and make it lower in the league table just because it lets in people with low grades :confused: )

What I do think is important though is to talk to students already there, as many as you can, and look at what percentage student satisfaction the courses have at each uni and how many people are in employment after because in my opinion those are the two most important things you can get from league tables. Also look into bursaries and things like that, some give more bursary money than others, some only let you use a bit of the bursary money for living and make most of it go to tuition fee reduction, some give scholarships :smile:
I was in a similar position to you. I applied to UEA and Essex for Drama & Literature with my heart set on UEA. After visiting and auditioning at both universities I completely changed my mind. Admittedly I was really concerned with where they both were in league tables and the reputations they both had. So I went to visit again and ended up choosing Essex which is where I felt most 'at home', now I'm here I have absolutely no regrets. I'd advise you to maybe go on a few more visit days, try and find some Drama Lit students from both universities on here maybe and ask them what they think of the course. Try not to let league tables completely dominate your decision.
Reply 9
Original post by Ladean123
Remember you can choose a firm and insurance choice and still accept the insurance.

Unfortunately it doesn't work like this. If you get into your firm on result day, your insurance choice disappears, so you can't just swap them around.

OP, I have to agree with the other posters here. Don't get so hung up on league tables. It's important that you go somewhere that is right for you. Visit both of the universities and take your time to make the decision. Go over the modules involved in each course and talk to current students,.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending